Sam F

Stressful O1, am I the unlucky one?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sorry about my english, I'm in really bad condition right now...

Here is what was happened, I first applied my O1B visa two month ago, prepare for almost 6 month, and I was confidence about my article, award experiences, the film I've been worked with all have pretty big award all over the world. 

After 7 days the USCIS received my case(premium) , I got the first RFE letter which need me to provide more information about my sponsor, like the FEIN number and contracts, so we gave them back right away. in the first RFE, they did not mention anything about myself, so we were thinking the case should be fine, all they need is some detail information. After they received the RFE, my lawyer got another RFE which is the a same RFE from the 1st time thru fax, we called USCIS and asked them if there has any issues.  They replied me an 3rd RFE, and this RFE pretty much questioning everything I submitted is insignificant, the award is not strong enough, the labor union letter is not good, the shows I've been work with is not important. After two day of the 3rd RFE, they sent me another RFE, it is the same thing but only the deadline been pushed another week......

I don't even know how to response those RFE and I don't think a lot of people have this kind of experiences... what a bummer.

Edited by Sam F

• 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

After a year, I finally got my O1 approval last month. 

What happened was I did not reply any of the RFE after the 4th letter, I realized that USCIS was just questioning me everything and did not really give me any chance to explain, nor I have nothing to add and proof more. The first RFE letter was the main reason, my petitioner's information, they think my petitioner's information is too new, the FEIN number was all new. My previous attorney was a disaster who suggested me do all this with no turnaround opportunities, USCIS can't really deny that because it's all legal, but they don't like it, so that's the reason why they were nail-picking me after that 1st RFE.

So I withdraw the case directly and went back home for 10 months, and I found another attorney group to re-write my case and prepare everything again, filed, pass.   

I spent more money, waited more time, more ups and down, roller coaster upside down pretty much the whole year, it affects me a lot when I first came back home. I was angry and feel unfair when it first happened, I blamed my attorney because it could all be avoided in the first place, I do have more options and mentioned to him when we first met, but he insisted with the most edging one. But after a while, I started to question myself and self-blames a lot. But you know, life will be moving on whether you like or don't, these 10 months, I've been working with a lot of stuff that I could not get in the US, intense, disappointed, passion, focus, pretty much mix-felling everyday lol.   

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
8 hours ago, Sam F said:

What happened was I did not reply any of the RFE after the 4th letter, I realized that USCIS was just questioning me everything and did not really give me any chance to explain, nor I have nothing to add and proof more. The first RFE letter was the main reason, my petitioner's information, they think my petitioner's information is too new, the FEIN number was all new. My previous attorney was a disaster who suggested me do all this with no turnaround opportunities, USCIS can't really deny that because it's all legal, but they don't like it, so that's the reason why they were nail-picking me after that 1st RFE.

So I withdraw the case directly and went back home for 10 months, and I found another attorney group to re-write my case and prepare everything again, filed, pass.   

I spent more money, waited more time, more ups and down, roller coaster upside down pretty much the whole year, it affects me a lot when I first came back home. I was angry and feel unfair when it first happened, I blamed my attorney because it could all be avoided in the first place, I do have more options and mentioned to him when we first met, but he insisted with the most edging one. But after a while, I started to question myself and self-blames a lot. But you know, life will be moving on whether you like or don't, these 10 months, I've been working with a lot of stuff that I could not get in the US, intense, disappointed, passion, focus, pretty much mix-felling everyday lol.   

Hi Sam, 

Thanks so much for your reply. I am very happy that things worked out in the end, even though the journey was rough. This is a difficult visa to obtain. Of course the people who are already in the US were granted visas, but the denial rate is about 1 in 5 and climbing. And, as you said, it's not just a question of merit - it has a lot to do with how technical and experienced your lawyer can be.

Congratulations on your return and I am sure you will make the best of your experience!

fs

• 2 months later...
On 9/1/2018 at 10:39 PM, Sam F said:

Hi, Sam:

Congrats finally, long journey!!

Wish all best luck!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.