nonocou

Will entering the DV Lottery affect my visitor visa(ESTA) and Future NON-IMMIGRANT visas?

17 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I'm travelling to the US next month with the ESTA authorisation(the latter have been approved). My boyfriend(UK) is already in the US with a Work visa, and I'm planning a 3 month holidays to visit the US(Ive never been yet) as well as seeing him and some friends. I have no idea on our future plans (meaning Will I find a job and apply for a H1B? Will we decide to do long distance for a year and I'll just come over on non-immigrant visas and decide later ?) This is all unclear at this moment(mostly because I don't know the possible options) and as the DV-lottery is on, I'd like to apply for it.

So in this specific moment, I have NO intent of immigration but just testing the situation and see what is possible in the future month-coming year.

My questions are :

1. Will entering the DV-lottery affect my entry in the US (at the airport) next month ?

2. Will entering the DV-lottery affect my future visit visas(ESTA,B2 and so on) ?

3. Will entering the DV-lottery affect possible work visa ?(H1B)

As I currently have no intent of immigration as we are at a testing phase of the situation and only studying options, I just want to check all possibilities to not get my futures entries in the US territory denied.(better safe than sorry)

Thank you for your advices !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
44 minutes ago, nonocou said:

Hello Everyone,

I'm travelling to the US next month with the ESTA authorisation(the latter have been approved). My boyfriend(UK) is already in the US with a Work visa, and I'm planning a 3 month holidays to visit the US(Ive never been yet) as well as seeing him and some friends. I have no idea on our future plans (meaning Will I find a job and apply for a H1B? Will we decide to do long distance for a year and I'll just come over on non-immigrant visas and decide later ?) This is all unclear at this moment(mostly because I don't know the possible options) and as the DV-lottery is on, I'd like to apply for it.

So in this specific moment, I have NO intent of immigration but just testing the situation and see what is possible in the future month-coming year.

My questions are :

1. Will entering the DV-lottery affect my entry in the US (at the airport) next month ?

2. Will entering the DV-lottery affect my future visit visas(ESTA,B2 and so on) ?

As I currently have no intent of immigration as we are at a testing phase of the situation and only studying options, I just want to check all possibilities to not get my futures entries in the US territory denied.(better safe than sorry)

What country are you from?  The DV-lottery is not available in all countries.  Also, just a point of clarification, an immigrant does not apply for an H1B, for this visa type it takes a company with a specific need applying to bring/sponsor an immigrant to fill that need.

To answer your questions (kind of), I don't believe an application for a DV (assuming you are eligible) would affect any other type of visa while that application was being processed, but I could be wrong.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Entering the DV lottery will not affect any other applications. It is quite possible to have numerous applications running simultaneously. Your chances of being selected for the DV are very low, it is massively oversubscribed. 

However, you say you have no intention of immigrating. The DV is for exactly that - immigrating. I have to say, your post does come across as someone who is desperate to get into the country by whatever means possible. CBP can usually see desperation like this. 

Note that the VWP allows visits up to 90 days, not 3 months. What job do you do that allows you to take so long off? You must demonstrate to CBP on arrival that you have strong ties to your home. It doesn't sound like it to me. 90 days on a first ever visit is risky, especially with a love interest here. 

The H-1B is not something you can apply for without a company petition. If you find an employer willing to sponsor you (it costs them a lot of money) then the company must complete the petition. This category is also over-subscribed and only about 25% will be successful. The earliest you could start work with this visa is October 1, 2018, unless you work in academia. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Thank you all for your answers so far.

To JFH; I don't see how I appear desperate to enter the US, I have a job here in my home country, I have my own activity, and I'm just confused by all the different types of visa. For now, the situation is quite clear, I'm travelling as a visitor, I have things to do when I come back after those 90days(3month for a shortcut), jobs to continue and clients to meet. The reason I'm asking all this is that I dont know what would be my intentions in one year time. Things can change, people change their minds. I believe people who are applying for the DV-Lottery dont necessary have deep intentions of immigration.(of course not everybody) It is more in a "why not, try my chance" vision I'd like to apply, which indeed would make things easier.

Thank you for the clarification about the H1 visa - it wasn't indeed the way I understood it at first.

1 hour ago, Bill & Katya said:

What country are you from?  The DV-lottery is not available in all countries.  Also, just a point of clarification, an immigrant does not apply for an H1B, for this visa type it takes a company with a specific need applying to bring/sponsor an immigrant to fill that need.

To answer your questions (kind of), I don't believe an application for a DV (assuming you are eligible) would affect any other type of visa while that application was being processed, but I could be wrong.

Good Luck!

Thank you for your answer.
I checked and my country is elligible.

Thank you for the clarification on the H1B ! It wasnt clear to me at first.

28 minutes ago, JFH said:

Entering the DV lottery will not affect any other applications. It is quite possible to have numerous applications running simultaneously. Your chances of being selected for the DV are very low, it is massively oversubscribed. 

However, you say you have no intention of immigrating. The DV is for exactly that - immigrating. I have to say, your post does come across as someone who is desperate to get into the country by whatever means possible. CBP can usually see desperation like this. 

Note that the VWP allows visits up to 90 days, not 3 months. What job do you do that allows you to take so long off? You must demonstrate to CBP on arrival that you have strong ties to your home. It doesn't sound like it to me. 90 days on a first ever visit is risky, especially with a love interest here. 

The H-1B is not something you can apply for without a company petition. If you find an employer willing to sponsor you (it costs them a lot of money) then the company must complete the petition. This category is also over-subscribed and only about 25% will be successful. The earliest you could start work with this visa is October 1, 2018, unless you work in academia. 

Thank you your answer (and sorry for the copy paste, I'm new to this forum)

I don't see how I appear desperate to enter the US, I have a job here in my home country, I have my own activity, and I'm just confused by all the different types of visa. For now, the situation is quite clear, I'm travelling as a visitor, I have things to do when I come back after those 90days(3month for a shortcut), jobs to continue and clients to meet. The reason I'm asking all this is that I dont know what would be my intentions in one year time. Things can change, people change their minds and I dont want to make any stupid or risky decision if I plan to go back again. I believe people who are applying for the DV-Lottery dont necessary have deep intentions of immigration.(of course not everybody) It is more in a "why not, try my chance" vision I'd like to apply, which indeed would make things easier.

Thank you for the clarification about the H1 visa - it wasn't indeed the way I understood it at first.

4 hours ago, nonocou said:

Hello Everyone,

My questions are :

To add to the above, IF you get selected the earliest possible date you could enter the US on the DV is October 2018; interview dates will be largely out of your control and could be as late as September 2019.

it won't affect any future actions just by entering the lottery, however if you get selected and then fill in a DS260 that is considered showing immigrant intent.

On 10/4/2017 at 7:00 AM, SusieQQQ said:

it won't affect any future actions just by entering the lottery, however if you get selected and then fill in a DS260 that is considered showing immigrant intent.

Hi SusieQQQ I asked a similar question in my thread asking if my German gf were to be selected and for some reason she was denied and then we would file for the K1 that it would not affect it?

however you said it here it would show “immigrant intent”?

forgive me if I’m not understanding 

Thanks for your help :)

42 minutes ago, SoCalMan said:

Hi SusieQQQ I asked a similar question in my thread asking if my German gf were to be selected and for some reason she was denied and then we would file for the K1 that it would not affect it?

however you said it here it would show “immigrant intent”?

forgive me if I’m not understanding 

Thanks for your help :)

Well K1 is for the purposes of going to live in the US so showing immigrant intent wouldn’t be a problem. I know it’s technically called a non immigrant visa but the whole point of it is to get married and adjust status. Immigrant intent is only - potentially- an issue if you are applying for a normal non-immigrant (visitor, student etc) visa where you are supposed to prove that your intent is to return home after your visit, study etc. if you’ve previously shown you actually want to live in the US it becomes a lot harder to convince the visa officer that you’ll keep to the terms of your visit visa.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Entering the DVLOTTERY will not affect your current visa, however, it might affect your future visas if they find out.

Two of my brothers won the lottery (1999 and 2006), When I applied for Student visa back in 2011, the consulate officer asked how did my brothers go to the U.S, I said through DV lottery, then she asked me " you must have been trying it too?!!" I said YES (was honest) then she  said " that shows me you are intending to stay there........ but I'm going to give you the visa.." . 

Dv lottery does not make you ineligible for non immigrant visa, but gives them a clue..... make sure you avoid the future interviews to go that direction. good luck

17 minutes ago, 8eitghy2wo said:

Entering the DVLOTTERY will not affect your current visa, however, it might affect your future visas if they find out.

Two of my brothers won the lottery (1999 and 2006), When I applied for Student visa back in 2011, the consulate officer asked how did my brothers go to the U.S, I said through DV lottery, then she asked me " you must have been trying it too?!!" I said YES (was honest) then she  said " that shows me you are intending to stay there........ but I'm going to give you the visa.." . 

Dv lottery does not make you ineligible for non immigrant visa, but gives them a clue..... make sure you avoid the future interviews to go that direction. good luck

Really, which consulate was this at? They are always clear that just entering the lottery is not immigrant intent.  Of course having two brothers in the US will give them the perception that you would stay if you could. 

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Really, which consulate was this at? They are always clear that just entering the lottery is not immigrant intent.  Of course having two brothers in the US will give them the perception that you would stay if you could. 

Casablanca, Morocco

I have never read about the Dvlottery not being an immigrant intent, it could be true. but i am sure they will use this fact as a determinant when it's 50-50

1 hour ago, 8eitghy2wo said:

Casablanca, Morocco

I have never read about the Dvlottery not being an immigrant intent, it could be true. but i am sure they will use this fact as a determinant when it's 50-50

Even if you get selected it’s not Immigrant intent, only if you fill in the DS260. But Casablanca does have a tough reputation, probably why you got a hard time, that plus your brothers. Plenty people enter the lottery and subsequently get non immigrant visas without ever being asked about it. 

• 1 month later...

Hello this is exactly the question I was asking myself. However some of the answers seem to be ambiguous. So to clarify, if I apply for the DV lottery and don't get selected. Then it does not affect any future visa applications? Sometimes there is a note on visa applications if I have ever applied for a non-immigrant visa --> simply applying for the lottery is not the same as that correct?

And do the officers at consulates have information on whether or not I applied for the lottery at the time of the visa interview? how should someone who has been denied the lottery respond to questions pertaining to immigrant intent?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

5 hours ago, interestedtoknow said:

Hello this is exactly the question I was asking myself. However some of the answers seem to be ambiguous. So to clarify, if I apply for the DV lottery and don't get selected. Then it does not affect any future visa applications? Sometimes there is a note on visa applications if I have ever applied for a non-immigrant visa --> simply applying for the lottery is not the same as that correct?

And do the officers at consulates have information on whether or not I applied for the lottery at the time of the visa interview? how should someone who has been denied the lottery respond to questions pertaining to immigrant intent?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Entering a lottery is not applying for a visa. It’s not applying for anything in fact. It’s entering a lottery. 

What do you mean “denied” the lottery? Do you mean not selected, or do you mean selected but denied a DV visa after applying for one?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.