jonesbro

New Online Interview Scheduling System for Ghana

40 posts in this topic

It appears that over the past month or so CR-1/IR-1 interviews that had been scheduled in person at the embassy (e.g. reaffirmed petitions, DCFs, others?) have been put on hold while the Embassy sets up a new online interview scheduling system. Some folks like my sister-in-law found themselves in the unfortunate position of having received a call in letter, traveling across the country only to be informed that they would be contacted over email to schedule an interview. More recently and decently it sounds like people are receiving emails about the impending new system rather than being called to the embassy. To my knowledge no information has been released on when to expect this new system to come online.

I'd be interested to know:

• Who else finds themselves in this particular limbo?
  • Has anyone extracted more useful information from the embassy?
  • have other embassies recently gone through this process? How long did it take?  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Yes, I have been communicating with my congressman's office and the  embassy. The information I was given are as follows:

The first appointments that will be available to schedule with the system are the November 1, 2017 appointments. Applicants will be contacted by email or phone with instructions how to use the system and schedule appointments. Applicants will be notified prior to November 1. I believe that means over next couple weeks applicants should start receiving instructions. 

I am prepared for my congressman's office to follow up. We never received our letter and took an inquiry to get a phone call to give limited information. 

So here we wait.

Timeline

Jonesbro, thank you so much for opening this conversation and for sharing these details, none of which I knew, but which gives me some explanation as to why it has been so difficult getting an interview appointment with USE Accra.  So it seems, our petition is in this no man's land limbo state.  Accra agreed to expedite our CR1 interview once documentarily complete at NVC.  That happened on 9/12.  Our case was sent to Accra, received, and is currently showing "Ready" for interview status.  Great because our expedite is a medical issue involving one of our children...but no success as of yet securing a date despite many e-mails sent.  So we wait too.  It would be helpful for those of us on the brink of an interview to keep each other apprised on any movement in the appointments over this month (October)...  

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to Africa: Sub-Saharan regional forum; topic is Ghana specific.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

2 hours ago, RazDen124 said:

The first appointments that will be available to schedule with the system are the November 1, 2017 appointments. Applicants will be contacted by email or phone with instructions how to use the system and schedule appointments. Applicants will be notified prior to November 1.

Thanks Razden! this is the most helpful information I've seen on the topic. I've been hopeful that this would be worked out quickly, but both of the communications my brother and sister-in-law have received from the embassy have basically been, "we'll let you know when it's ready"

Timeline
18 hours ago, jonesbro said:

Thanks Razden! this is the most helpful information I've seen on the topic. I've been hopeful that this would be worked out quickly, but both of the communications my brother and sister-in-law have received from the embassy have basically been, "we'll let you know when it's ready"

Thank you for the info. It has raised my spirits some while we wait. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 10/3/2017 at 10:29 AM, jonesbro said:

It appears that over the past month or so CR-1/IR-1 interviews that had been scheduled in person at the embassy (e.g. reaffirmed petitions, DCFs, others?) have been put on hold while the Embassy sets up a new online interview scheduling system. Some folks like my sister-in-law found themselves in the unfortunate position of having received a call in letter, traveling across the country only to be informed that they would be contacted over email to schedule an interview. More recently and decently it sounds like people are receiving emails about the impending new system rather than being called to the embassy. To my knowledge no information has been released on when to expect this new system to come online.

I'd be interested to know:

• Who else finds themselves in this particular limbo?
  • Has anyone extracted more useful information from the embassy?
  • have other embassies recently gone through this process? How long did it take?  

On 10/3/2017 at 4:58 PM, jonesbro said:

Timeline

The system is implemented. We received our email yesterday to pick up the instruction packet and schedule appointment online. 

Wishing everyone the very best and praying all families are reunited. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, RazDen124 said:

The system is implemented. We received our email yesterday to pick up the instruction packet and schedule appointment online. 

Can u tell me when u were reaffirmed and when the embassy got ur file back? We r awaiting word.  Reaffirmed May 25th.  We picked up packet August 30th. Awaiting word from embassy to schedule.

congratulations  and good luck! 

How far out did u  schedule?

Edited by dmh59

1 hour ago, RazDen124 said:

Was your husband able to pick up the instruction packet today? I know that under the previous system they wanted people to pick up packets on Wednesdays

Timeline

OHHHHHHHHH - we finally got an email yesterday (husband did, I didn't get a copy of it).  He's to go to Embassy to pick up another packet and then we can schedule interview.   Will keep u posted as to how long it takes to schedule.

My sister-in-law just got a phone call from the embassy saying to come to Accra tomorrow to get her packet. Of course they live 20 miles from the Burkina Faso border, so they'll have to travel the length of the country to get there, but at least things are moving.

Timeline
40 minutes ago, jonesbro said:

My sister-in-law just got a phone call from the embassy saying to come to Accra tomorrow to get her packet. Of course they live 20 miles from the Burkina Faso border, so they'll have to travel the length of the country to get there, but at least things are moving.

Yes things are moving....at least she doesn't have to go in twice - last time we had to be there at 7 and then come back at 2 - this time only at 2.  Safe travels to her.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.