11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hello VJ friends!

My husband and I have been approved for I-485. We are moving (within state, literally just upstairs ha!). We completed form AR-11 online. Do you know if we get a formal receipt in the mail about that, or do I just print the online confirmation for our records? We do not currently have any pending cases - until we file for I-751 next year, but I know I should save everything just in case.

Secondly, I understand as the sponsor I also need to fill out I-865. Is there anything specific I need to know about this form other than following the instructions and mailing it in? It looks pretty self-exclamatory, but thought I would check.

Thank you in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
24 minutes ago, alborosie8090 said:

Hello VJ friends!

My husband and I have been approved for I-485. We are moving (within state, literally just upstairs ha!). We completed form AR-11 online. Do you know if we get a formal receipt in the mail about that, or do I just print the online confirmation for our records? We do not currently have any pending cases - until we file for I-751 next year, but I know I should save everything just in case.

Secondly, I understand as the sponsor I also need to fill out I-865. Is there anything specific I need to know about this form other than following the instructions and mailing it in? It looks pretty self-exclamatory, but thought I would check.

Thank you in advance!

Hi :) you are right - nothing specific about sponsor's I-865. It's DIY thing. 

When I filed on-line form AR-11, a confirmation was  received on-line  immediately, and 3 weeks later another one came in the mail box. So, basically I had 2 confirmations for AR-11.

As for I-865 confirmation - it arrived in too our mail box as well, about 2-3 weeks after submission the form.

I would also recommend to  notify your local Post Office, about change of your address. I believe there is a form you have to fill out with your Post Office, and it's valid for 6 months, then you can update this again, so if something with your names arrives at your old address, the Post Office will direct it to you to your new address 

Also, I would try to keep in touch with people at your previous address... Just in case. Let them know you may be still receiving some mails and that they should just let you know.. 

Good luck!!!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

Hi :) you are right - nothing specific about sponsor's I-865. It's DIY thing. 

When I filed on-line form AR-11, a confirmation was  received on-line  immediately, and 3 weeks later another one came in the mail box. So, basically I had 2 confirmations for AR-11.

As for I-865 confirmation - it arrived in too our mail box as well, about 2-3 weeks after submission the form.

I would also recommend to  notify your local Post Office, about change of your address. I believe there is a form you have to fill out with your Post Office, and it's valid for 6 months, then you can update this again, so if something with your names arrives at your old address, the Post Office will direct it to you to your new address 

Also, I would try to keep in touch with people at your previous address... Just in case. Let them know you may be still receiving some mails and that they should just let you know.. 

Good luck!!!

Thank you so much! One last question - my husband is now a permanent resident. My understanding is I do not have to fill out an A-number on the form, correct? Or do I go get his old A-number to add? 

Thank you again!

Timeline
47 minutes ago, alborosie8090 said:

Thank you so much! One last question - my husband is now a permanent resident. My understanding is I do not have to fill out an A-number on the form, correct? Or do I go get his old A-number to add? 

Thank you again!

You are welcome ;)

His A-number should be on his green card.  So, I would put it anyway :)

Timeline
23 hours ago, Ksenia_O said:

You are welcome ;)

His A-number should be on his green card.  So, I would put it anyway :)

Wonderful. I forget that the A-number is interchangeable with USCIS number. I included that. Thank you so much for your help! :) 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, alborosie8090 said:

Wonderful. I forget that the A-number is interchangeable with USCIS number. I included that. Thank you so much for your help! :) 

Argh I just thought of one more thing before mailing everything off. I know it doesn't require so, but should I make sure I include our joint lease to show that we are both living at the new address together, or is that overkill since I am completing this form and my husband did the AR-11, thus showing we both live at the new address? Sorry for all the questions! 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, alborosie8090 said:

Argh I just thought of one more thing before mailing everything off. I know it doesn't require so, but should I make sure I include our joint lease to show that we are both living at the new address together, or is that overkill since I am completing this form and my husband did the AR-11, thus showing we both live at the new address? Sorry for all the questions! 

Hi.

You are very welcome to ask any questions - will be happy to help as much as I can :) 

No, I wouldn't worry about including anything to prove you leave at your new address. Forms I-865 & AR-11  - that's it :)

If you don't have anything back from them within 3-4 weeks, I'd recommend to call USCIS to make sure they got your address change updated.

• 5 months later...
Timeline
On 10/3/2017 at 8:49 AM, Ksenia_O said:

Hi.

You are very welcome to ask any questions - will be happy to help as much as I can :) 

No, I wouldn't worry about including anything to prove you leave at your new address. Forms I-865 & AR-11  - that's it :)

If you don't have anything back from them within 3-4 weeks, I'd recommend to call USCIS to make sure they got your address change updated.

Just wanted to close the loop to say thanks for all the help on this. Filed everything as discussed and got our notifications shortly thereafter, so all good here. Thanks again. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thanks for coming back to tell us the outcome.  Glad that it went well.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi guys, just an update here. We received a mail confirmation that "my" address as Sponsor was updated. However, my husband only received an email confirmation with confirmation number that said they received the address change request. We never received a letter from USCIS confirming the change. We just received our reminder for lifting of conditions and it was sent to our old address under his name (wrong apartment number, we live in same building, but moved apartments. it was sent to our old unit). I called USCIS and they said it should have been updated by now and that we should make an appointment at the field office to see why it is not updated and make sure they have the correct address.

My question - is that really necessary? Since we have the e-mail confirmation that we filed it online, should that not suffice? I was going to include for I-751 the evidence that we did both file for change of address and confirmations of being mailed to USCIS and also the e-mail we received. Would that suffice, or should we really go make an appointment? I'd rather be safe than sorry, but it is just odd to have to make an appointment for that. We get all the mail we need as we are at the same house, just a different unit number, so we aren't worried about not receiving anything. Just don't want to get in "trouble" or have application delays if for some reason USCIS had an error in not updating properly.

Edited by alborosie8090

• 11 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.