Tom&Angie

Early TB test and possible treatment

68 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum, have an active k1 visa timeline, and of course questions. Really just one subject at this point.

TB- I had no idea of the high prevalence of it in Phils. I really thought the medical exam would be no issue as I figured it geared more towards STD, HIV, pregnancy and the like. I really never considered TB.  

So my question- I would like to get an advance screening TB test for my fiance. I realize that St. Lukes will not accept any other test but their own. But if she is found to be positive for TB now she could start treatment while we're waiting months (really an eternity I think) for NOA2. Could someone offer their educated opinion on my plan? My question. If treated just prior to St. Lukes medical exam, would the sputum test then be negative? I would think so but i am not an expert. Also what would happen if she was in the process of treatment? just delay the medical exam until after the full treatment course?

Normally I would just wait and follow the process, but of course now k1 Visas take 7-9 months or longer to approve.  Add in another 6 months for treatment... we will be having our 50 year anniversary before we even live together. 

Filed: Other Country: Romania
Timeline

There is a blood test she can take, and that is the most accurate way to test for TB. It is called Interferon  Gamma Release Essay (IGRA) and it will  turn positive even if she has latent TB .

First thing I would note is that SLEC will not accept any other center's treatment until they are cleared for 1 year. So if she tested positive and you want the fastest course of action, getting treated at SLEC would be the path to take. They will not pass her medical until she is treated and cleared, and you cannot have the visa issued until she has passed the medical. Also, the K-1 visa is only valid for 6 months from the medical or the interview...whichever comes sooner. You can delay the medical exam if needed.

While TB is prevalent in the Philippines, it's not the norm to go through sputum testing or having a positive result. It's not rare either. Personally, getting tested early seems a bit excessive, but TB kills so I can't really blame anybody for wanting to be tested anyway. As for how exactly to do so there, I'm not sure, sorry. Typically the chest x-ray is performed, and if they see something there, they move on to sputum collection (3 days), then they let the cultures grow for 60 days. If it's positive, they let you know beforehand. If not, you should be fine (unless they extend it a week or so to be conclusive).

IGRA is available and a good test for personal use, but is typically used with children at SLEC (ages 2-14). A negative result would not necessarily mean SLEC won't see something on the x-ray requiring sputum collection. http://www.slec.ph/us-visa-applicants.shtml#required-exams

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 hour ago, maryLu said:

There is a blood test she can take, and that is the most accurate way to test for TB. It is called Interferon  Gamma Release Essay (IGRA) and it will  turn positive even if she has latent TB .

Thank you MaryLu. Latent TB is definitely widespread and common in Phils from what I have read. As high as 80% according to an article in Philstar from a doctor there.

Filed: Other Country: Romania
Timeline
Just now, Tom&Angie said:

Thank you MaryLu. Latent TB is definitely widespread and common in Phils from what I have read. As high as 80% according to an article in Philstar from a doctor there.

If that's the case then I would take her to a private clinic have it tested and start the treatment if necessary. My sister tested positive at a routine physical earlier this year, and she started treatment right away (she was shocked to test positive, and so were we). The treatment take anywhere from 3-9 months. Is something worth checking, if she testes negative you have nothing to worry about, if he tests positive you start treatment early, and  prevent further delays in getting the visa. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

First thing I would note is that SLEC will not accept any other center's treatment until they are cleared for 1 year. So if she tested positive and you want the fastest course of action, getting treated at SLEC would be the path to take. They will not pass her medical until she is treated and cleared, and you cannot have the visa issued until she has passed the medical. Also, the K-1 visa is only valid for 6 months from the medical or the interview...whichever comes sooner. You can delay the medical exam if needed.

While TB is prevalent in the Philippines, it's not the norm to go through sputum testing or having a positive result. It's not rare either. Personally, getting tested early seems a bit excessive, but TB kills so I can't really blame anybody for wanting to be tested anyway. As for how exactly to do so there, I'm not sure, sorry. Typically the chest x-ray is performed, and if they see something there, they move on to sputum collection (3 days), then they let the cultures grow for 60 days. If it's positive, they let you know beforehand. If not, you should be fine (unless they extend it a week or so to be conclusive).

IGRA is available and a good test for personal use, but is typically used with children at SLEC (ages 2-14). A negative result would not necessarily mean SLEC won't see something on the x-ray requiring sputum collection. http://www.slec.ph/us-visa-applicants.shtml#required-exams

Thanks geowrian. That is exactly the information I was seeking. Even if she has Latent TB she shows no signs of it being active. I am not concerned for her health at this very moment so to speak. I was trying to cheat the system and get ahead of what could possibly be an extra 6 month delay if she tests positive. With the info you provided I see no reason to jump the gun and test now. Thanks again.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Tom&Angie said:

Thanks geowrian. That is exactly the information I was seeking. Even if she has Latent TB she shows no signs of it being active. I am not concerned for her health at this very moment so to speak. I was trying to cheat the system and get ahead of what could possibly be an extra 6 month delay if she tests positive. With the info you provided I see no reason to jump the gun and test now. Thanks again.

My fiancée is currently undergoing the 2 month sputum process at SLEC.

Starting Oct 1 , they were also supposed to start the TB good standard blood test.

i had my fiancée ask is she could get this test if she came back Oct 1, but she was told they would still do the X Ray . And that is what a majority of the sputum testing folks get the “secondary” testing for...

the blood test test seems to serve a faster way of starting the treatment process..

I-129F

17 March 2017 (Fri): USPS Priority Mail to Lewisville, TX

21 March 2017 (Tue): Delivered to Lewisville, TX

27 March 2017 (Tue): NOA1 via SMS and e-mail - petition assigned to CSC 

1   April 2017 (Sat): Received NOA1 I-797C Hard Copy

25 July 2017 (Tue): NOA2 approval 

29 July 2017 (Sat) : NOA2 Approval notice received by mail

8 August 2017 (Tuesday): NVC case number received

9 August 2017  (Wednesday) : Left NVC for Embassy

10 August 2017 (Thursday): Manila Embassy received and ready status on ceac.

5 September 2017 (Tuesday): Medical Exam SLEC.  X-Ray Positive so Sputum test ordered. Appt for Sputum set

27 September 2017 (Wednesday): Sputum exam x 4 days

1 December 2017 (Friday) : Sputum exam Completed and Vaccinations given . Ready for interview .

7 December 2017 (Thursday): Interview and approval

12 December 2017  (Tuesday): Passport with Visa ready to be picked at 2Go.

17 December 2017 (Sunday) : Flight and POE in USA..

AOS I-485

24 August 2018 (Friday): AOS/EAD/AP packet in mail with USPS tracking number

4 September 2018 (Tuesday): Email and Text of USCIS Acceptance with 3  MSC # for all      (GC,EAD,AP)

8 September 2018 (Saturday):  Received our (3) NOA1 for (GC,EAD,AP)hard copy via mail

25 September 2018 (Tuesday) Biometrics Appointment

02 October 2018 (Tuesday): Case Status updated to Ready to Schedule Interview

28 January 2019: EAD/AP card approved

06 Feb 2019: EAD/AP combo received

09 May 2019: Interview

09 May 2019: 8 hours later Status changed to APPLICATION APPROVED..

14 May 2019: GREEN CARD ISSUED!!!

17 May 2019: GREEN CARD IN HAND!!!

I-751

13 March 2022 - Filed I-751

22 March 2022 - NOA 1 received

15 July 2022 - notice of biometrics being re-used

21 March 2023 - received 48month extension letter

22 February 2024 - received text/email that new card is being produced. No interview.

07 March 2024 green card sent

09 March 2024 - green card received

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
23 hours ago, Tom&Angie said:

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum, have an active k1 visa timeline, and of course questions. Really just one subject at this point.

TB- I had no idea of the high prevalence of it in Phils. I really thought the medical exam would be no issue as I figured it geared more towards STD, HIV, pregnancy and the like. I really never considered TB.  

So my question- I would like to get an advance screening TB test for my fiance. I realize that St. Lukes will not accept any other test but their own. But if she is found to be positive for TB now she could start treatment while we're waiting months (really an eternity I think) for NOA2. Could someone offer their educated opinion on my plan? My question. If treated just prior to St. Lukes medical exam, would the sputum test then be negative? I would think so but i am not an expert. Also what would happen if she was in the process of treatment? just delay the medical exam until after the full treatment course?

Normally I would just wait and follow the process, but of course now k1 Visas take 7-9 months or longer to approve.  Add in another 6 months for treatment... we will be having our 50 year anniversary before we even live together. 

Nope, not too much you can do to speed things along in regards to TB testing, etc.  Don't try to sidestep SLEC regarding TB testing/treatment .. they are required to follow CDC guidelines.

SLEC now does the blood testing for TB, as of 1 Oct, that saves 60 days right there IF the Xray shows scarring or such.

Here is a link to additional information:  http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/medical---slec.html

Petition process at USCIS seems to be taking 3-5 months as of late.  Just had a couple show here that had there NOA2 in about 90 days and are on track to complete the interview within 30 days of receiving their MNL# from NVC.   This process can be done very quickly if you stay focused on things.   Here is another link or two that may help:

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/nvc-k-1.html

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/k-1-visa-application.html

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
19 hours ago, geowrian said:

SPUTUM and 60 day culture is no longer used at SLEC.  SLEC now uses blood testing.. results in a day or so.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

5 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

SPUTUM and 60 day culture is no longer used at SLEC.  SLEC now uses blood testing.. results in a day or so.

Yeah, I saw that from your post above. Sweet. Thanks!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

Yeah, I saw that from your post above. Sweet. Thanks!

The game keeps changing, a guy could get dizzy trying to stay current with the updates.  :lol:  

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Thanks everybody for the responses. I agree that with the more efficient testing procedure it would be better to just wait and follow the process. Thanks again!

Hank,

Are you sure of the new test procedure replacing sputum tests? I did some research and was not sure of that. There is little information on SLEC site to confirm this.

From what I see, the new IGRA blood test replaces the discontinued TST skin test. SLEC site says IGRA is for applicants 2 - 14 yrs of age.  The ex-rays are still done for >15 yrs.

I read a document from CDC that says if testing if the IGRA or chest x-ray result indicates M. tuberculosis infection, then subsequent confirmation testing must be done. This indicates to me that the sputum is still required if positive IGRA or chest x-ray. Sputum was required after positive skin test.

Just checking to see where you got that information that Sputum is not used. I don't see that from a government or SLEC source.

Timeline

Yes I read the SLEC website and CDC on IGRA ...   there is no exacting information on either website

If IGRA is to replace just the skin tst, why raise the cost of the adult medical as well was my first thought on this.

IGRA is used to detect active TB in a person ..  so why a sputum after a positive with IGRA was my reaction here.  Logic jumped in from here.

I could be wrong on this, won't be the first time. This testing just started a couple days ago, see what comes back ...   

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.