Jump to content
Arv0210

Affidavit of Support

8 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello all - My daughter is US Citizen and she has filled for me, my I-130 and I-824 are already approved by USCIS and I am waiting to hear from NVC for next step for Consular processing in India, mean time I am preparing and arranging all the documents needed for for interview. Thus my daughter is US citizen but she has not worked in USA and has no income in USA can my other relatives file affidavit for me and what is the process for that.

I would be great if someone can guide me on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2017 at 7:48 AM, Arv0210 said:

Hello all - My daughter is US Citizen and she has filled for me, my I-130 and I-824 are already approved by USCIS and I am waiting to hear from NVC for next step for Consular processing in India, mean time I am preparing and arranging all the documents needed for for interview. Thus my daughter is US citizen but she has not worked in USA and has no income in USA can my other relatives file affidavit for me and what is the process for that.

I would be great if someone can guide me on this.

Since, your daughter is the petitioner, she will be your main sponsor and one of your relative can be joint sponsor. you can check out bellow link and information

 

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/tips-filing-form-i-864-affidavit-support-under-section-213a-ina

 

With joint sponsors:

-All of the above of the petitioner

-Original completed, signed, and dated I-864 of joint sponsor

-Tax information^^ of joint sponsor (either just the last year OR the last 3 years)

-Proof of US citizenship/residency of joint sponsor (ex: copy of US passport, US birth certificate, US naturalization certificate, or front & back of green card)

-Employment letter of joint sponsor (optional, but good proof of CURRENT income)

-Pay stub(s) of joint sponsor (optional, but good proof of CURRENT income)


^^You have two choices here of what to send in:

- Tax return transcripts ordered from IRS (preferred by NVC and of most consulates/embassies) RECOMMENDED

OR

- Tax returns (1040), W2s, 1099s, and any other schedules/worksheets (if applicable)

Note: If you haven't filed this year's taxes yet and filed for an extension instead, you can submit the tax extension letter in lieu of an entire tax return or tax transcript. Please be warned though, the consulate/embassy may request for this year's taxes to be filed despite applying for an extension.


Which I-864 Form to Use

If you look at the USCIS website, there are a multitude of I-864 forms listed: I-864, I-864EZ, I-864A, I-864W, and even I-864P.

The I-864 is the most common of the forms used. This is what petitioners and joint sponsors use.

The I-864EZ has three different criteria points that need to be met before a petitioner can use it. Remember, if you do meet all the criteria, it doesn't mean you have to use it; you can still use the I-864 if you wish. But, since the I-864EZ is shorter (and thus easier) to fill out, if you can use it, I suggest it as there's lower chances of messing up and getting a checklist.

The I-864A is used for household members of sponsors. Typically, the only time I recommend using the I-864A is for spouses of joint sponsors who are deciding to contribute their income as well. So, in these cases, the petitioner would file an I-864, the main joint sponsor would file an I-864 as well, and then the joint sponsor's spouse would file an I-864A.

The I-864W is rarely used. The only time I see it used is for children immigrating (with one of their parents) who will become US citizens upon POE. Please read the I-864W and its instructions for more information.

The I-864P, which really isn't a form, is the poverty guidelines and is used to see how much income is needed for different household sizes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much!! mrahman14, I appreciate you response, I just have one more query thus my daughter is a US citizen (born in USA), but never work there ... Is this makes any difference, however she has Social Security Number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Arv0210 said:

Thank you very much!! mrahman14, I appreciate you response, I just have one more query thus my daughter is a US citizen (born in USA), but never work there ... Is this makes any difference, however she has Social Security Number.

Since she is the petitioner ,she will be the main sponsor regardless of her income and you will need a joint sponsor to fulfill income requirement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2017 at 11:40 PM, mrahman14 said:

Since she is the petitioner ,she will be the main sponsor regardless of her income and you will need a joint sponsor to fulfill income requirement

...But she is studying in India, thus she US citizen but never stayed or worked in USA will this make any difference to my case. I have joint sponsor who is to file I-864 for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arv0210 said:

...But she is studying in India, thus she US citizen but never stayed or worked in USA will this make any difference to my case. I have joint sponsor who is to file I-864 for me

If the petitioner lives aboard, She will need to provide proof of US domicile with Affidavit of Support package, as well as bring it with you to the interview. Please read I-864 instructions for more information about it.

Edited by mrahman14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2017 at 11:40 PM, mrahman14 said:

Since she is the petitioner ,she will be the main sponsor regardless of her income and you will need a joint sponsor to fulfill income requirement

Hi.. Can you also please suggest what all documents my daughter will have submit with I-864, since she is student in India and never worked in USA nor she has filled any Tax return in USA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arv0210 said:

Hi.. Can you also please suggest what all documents my daughter will have submit with I-864, since she is student in India and never worked in USA nor she has filled any Tax return in USA.

Please go over this. It has everything you need

 

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×