Damalu86

K1 or B2 visa?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: H-2B Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello all. Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I am a Venezuelan citizen living in Mexico with a legal residency. I came here in November and I meet my boyfriend at the end of December though a dating app. He is an American citizen and he was working here in a project, we met 3 times, spend New years Eve together and he left to USA on January 2.

We've been in a relationship since then and he' visited here 3 times already.

When I was back on Venezuela I applied for a tourist visa twice and got ilegible so I stop trying because I wanted only to visit my best friend from school who lives there. It's been close to 2 years since that happened. (I didn't had enough ties with my country so my Visa was declined). I live here now, got a job I've been in from the past 5 months (I had another one that was a nightmare so I've found this other one) I have a good income and that's it. I have no properties or relatives in Mexico.

I wanted to apply for a tourist visa because I want to visit my boyfriend and meet his family and friends before applying for a K1, I want to do things right but I'm afraid to ask for a tourist visa and got it declined AGAIN and I'm afraid that might ruin any chances to obtain a K1 if we decide that. 

We have all the support of our relationship, pictures, phone calls, texts, plane tickets, etc.

Should I ask for a tourist visa or apply directly for a K1? It's a choice we are considering...

Thanks guys.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Are you engaged or planning to marry him? The purpose of the K1 visa is for the immigrant to come to the US to marry a USC. It is a 1 entry visa where the end goal is to remain in the USA with your then spouse. 

If you are not ready to marry yet, there is no harm in applying for a tourist visa again. Having a job and stable income may help you this time around. Being denied a tourist visa has no effect on the K1 visa process. I would say if you are both ready for marriage, then K1 would be a good option, but if you just want to visit him and his family, then I would try the tourist visa route again. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Timeline
1 minute ago, RJandHamid said:

Are you engaged or planning to marry him? The purpose of the K1 visa is for the immigrant to come to the US to marry a USC. It is a 1 entry visa where the end goal is to remain in the USA with your then spouse. 

If you are not ready to marry yet, there is no harm in applying for a tourist visa again. Having a job and stable income may help you this time around. Being denied a tourist visa has no effect on the K1 visa process. I would say if you are both ready for marriage, then K1 would be a good option, but if you just want to visit him and his family, then I would try the tourist visa route again. 

Thanks for your advice! We've been thinking to get married for a time now, but I wanted to go visit first if it is possible... my main fear is to have a 3rd time denial... Should I say I want to visit my boyfriend before applying for a K1 visa or just say that I'm going for vacations without further details?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Always be honest about your intentions. It's normal to want to visit your boyfriend before applying for a K1 visa, and many have been granted a visitor visa when being honest about the fact that they are going to visit a boyfriend or girlfriend. 

If visiting first is very important to you, then I would try for another tourist visa. It sounds like your situation has changed for the better since you first applied 2 years ago. If it's denied, it doesn't effect your future K1 petition in any way, but at least you tried.

Good luck! :)

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, RJandHamid said:

Always be honest about your intentions. It's normal to want to visit your boyfriend before applying for a K1 visa, and many have been granted a visitor visa when being honest about the fact that they are going to visit a boyfriend or girlfriend. 

If visiting first is very important to you, then I would try for another tourist visa. It sounds like your situation has changed for the better since you first applied 2 years ago. If it's denied, it doesn't effect your future K1 petition in any way, but at least you tried.

Good luck! :)

It is, I really want to meet him in his everyday environment, and meet his parents and friends before taking such an important decision. Thanks a lot you've been very helpful and kind!

If you're not ready to marry you need b2 visa. K1 visa is not for tourism nor for trying things out before you decide to marry  

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

34 minutes ago, Damalu86 said:

Hello all. Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I am a Venezuelan citizen living in Mexico with a legal residency. I came here in November and I meet my boyfriend at the end of December though a dating app. He is an American citizen and he was working here in a project, we met 3 times, spend New years Eve together and he left to USA on January 2.

We've been in a relationship since then and he' visited here 3 times already.

When I was back on Venezuela I applied for a tourist visa twice and got ilegible so I stop trying because I wanted only to visit my best friend from school who lives there. It's been close to 2 years since that happened. (I didn't had enough ties with my country so my Visa was declined). I live here now, got a job I've been in from the past 5 months (I had another one that was a nightmare so I've found this other one) I have a good income and that's it. I have no properties or relatives in Mexico.

I wanted to apply for a tourist visa because I want to visit my boyfriend and meet his family and friends before applying for a K1, I want to do things right but I'm afraid to ask for a tourist visa and got it declined AGAIN and I'm afraid that might ruin any chances to obtain a K1 if we decide that. 

We have all the support of our relationship, pictures, phone calls, texts, plane tickets, etc.

Should I ask for a tourist visa or apply directly for a K1? It's a choice we are considering...

Thanks guys.

It will not hurt to apply for another tourist visa.  But it is important when you are asked why you want to go to US that you answer honestly.  Because if you are not honest and lie or omit information then you face the possibility of a denial or long term ban even on a K-1.  Just remember that the K-1 will require you to marry w/in 90 days of arriving in the US.  Always tell the truth.  Good luck and God Bless you both.  David

The K-1 process requires you to sign statements stating that you intend to marry within 90 days of entry in the US on the K-1 visa. If that's not something you are ready to do, then signing those statements would be a material misrepresentation.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
4 hours ago, geowrian said:

The K-1 process requires you to sign statements stating that you intend to marry within 90 days of entry in the US on the K-1 visa. If that's not something you are ready to do, then signing those statements would be a material misrepresentation.

Thanks for this information! I wasn't planning to make a K1 petition just for visit, I might have explained myself the wrong way. Based on the comments I've read and the information we had, I think the best choice is first tourist visa, and later K1. (I feel better knowing that a B2 denial won't affect a K1 petition).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.