dekedwin

Family Size

1 post in this topic

This is an observation more than a question. I think the I-864 is really confusing. Immigration should have made a form that was specific to a husband or wife bringing his or her partner into the USA. The Petition part is not that confusing, but the I-864 is for different kinds of visas and the form makes you believe that you can put everyone on one form. Having the Part 3. Family Members 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 makes it really confusing and it should not even be on this form. At first I didn't understand thinking that my wife was the principal immigrant and her children were Family Members, but no, all that is supposed to be left blank and use three I-864s with each one listed as the Principal Immigrant. I understand that now and have advised my sister who is my wife and her two children's joint sponsor, how to fill out that form. She puts their information, each one on a separate form I-864, and leaves 3. blank, except where it says you are sponsoring the migrant named in part 2., and I check yes on that one. Everything else in 3. is to be left blank. I ran into more confusion about the numbers for the Family Size. In 28, it says to put the number from 1.a. through 27 in space 28. The principal immigrant is the only one listed in those spaces, so 1 is what is to be put in that family size, and then the sponsor lists herself there which is 1, as she lives alone. So on each I-864 only one person is listed and my sister. That is the same for all three I-864s. How does immigration know that there are three immigrants, and my sister. Do they figure that out by looking at each of the three I-864s and adding, or how do they understand that by the way we fill out those I-864 forms? This is really confusing to me, and I hope someone can explain how we are supposed to fill in the numbers to come up with the correct number of immigrants and my sister as the sponsor financially responsible for those three immigrants as herself? What numbers should I put where to have this come out correctly and satisfy immigration?  Thank you to anyone who can respond and help me understand what numbers to put where to have the form be correctly completed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.