DAAG

Disaster Relief fom huricane Irma

1 post in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I originally sponsored my now wife of 6 years for k1 visa. Now that we've been married for 6 years and she's had her ten year green card for about 5 of those years, we suffered loses of food, and  damage to our home, while under mandatory evacuation, from our home in Florida, during  Hurricane Irma, this month. we had to drive across three states with it following us,  and stay in 4 hotels, spending our rent,  food, and utilities money on travel, hotels, gasoline for both our car and on a generator on our return, where we found we'd lost our freezer and refrigerator full of food, on our return home, then went 8 days without power. since we have an electric well pump, that also meant no water for showers, washing dishes, or flushing toilet, and of course no air-conditioning in over 90 degree humid weather. This necessitated buying replacement food, and power cords to power our refrigerator, water pump,  and a few lights, until power was finally restored 8 days after it had been lost. my question is two fold:

1. is there any problem for my wife as a green car holding lawful permanent resident, if I apply for Disaster relief from FEMA, and possibly red cross, listing my wife among my family members, during the time we suffered this loss? 

2. secondarily, we have continued to use our only valid mailing address, my sons home near us, as our address, on the advice of, the office USCIS advised us to call for questions, during the processing of my wife paperwork, to ensure we receive their correspondence, because, when we moved to our current residence, we discovered  the address of the house, had previously been changed from an address on the main road to a new address on the dirt road leading from the main road to the house, when the dirt road was given a street name. Unfortunately no one in our area recognizes the actual new address, on the line between two postal zip code areas, which the official post office in a different town 10 miles away assigned to our house. this results in us having to use my sons address for everything including utilities and USCIS, and explaining this debacle to utility companies, if we need service, and often when we pay our bills. Unfortunately,  I must use an address FEMA can recognize for this house to get Disaster Relief. FEMA's automated online application site, refused to accept the new actual formal address on the dirt road, forcing me to use the old now incorrect address on the main road. During the application, FEMA stated after first  saying they wouldn't keep track of or share information on other listed family members, that, after I'd completed the application, they will be sharing information with Dept of Homeland Security.    

So, Now, I finally arrive at my second question:  is this address nightmare likely to cause problems for my wife or I with USCIS, considering that, had I updated to the new address, we would never have reliably  received any of USCIS' communication, after doing so?           

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.