D and L

Status of Application

3 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, I was hoping to get some help with anyone who is experiencing the same thing as I am right now.  I have a few questions:

1.  Anyone submitted their application around May and received NOA2 already?  The date that I've received NOA1 is May 9th, but I haven't received the NOA2 yet after more than 4 months already.  I am getting a little anxious.

2.  Can you request to expedite your case for a family emergency?  My dad was just diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and while scrambling to get treatments for him, I would really like to know if we could request to expedite the case so my fiance could be over here before anything happens to my dad.  

Please help.

Thank you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have only recently submitted my I-129F, but from what I have read 4 months is not a very long time and I wouldn't get nervous quite yet about something being wrong. It sucks for obvious reasons, but USCIS has a lot of petitions to get through. 

I have limited understanding of K1 expedite, so hopefully someone on here can provide a more concrete answer, but I don't think your relative being ill will be a reason to expedite. Again, I don't know for a fact so please continue to look into that. Here is a link from USCIS that lists reasons for expediting a petition: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria

One reason is "emergency situation" which is vague, but I believe that means if your fiancé(e) needs medical care, there is a natural disaster, etc. Of course if your father is ill (so sorry about that by the way) you would naturally want the emotional support of your partner, but I don't know if USCIS will consider that a strong enough reason. I hope someone can give some better insight, I hope your dad beats cancer, and I hope everything goes smoothly with your application. Best wishes. 

Edited by Mrsjackson

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Wow... Very sorry to hear that... Agree with Mrs. Jackson. However, the good news is that it might not be worth expediting anyhow since May filers are now being looked at; I see a lot of approvals for late April (some early May) so noa2 should be coming soon for you.

Unfortunately, you still need to go through the rest of the process and, from what I've read people post about expediting, it seems to only expedite the time from noa1 to noa2 so it doesn't expedite consulate appointment, etc. 

Hang in there and hope your dad can beat cancer... God knows this process is stressful enough...

Service Center : California Service Center
Transferred? No
Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I-129F Sent : 2017-07-01
I-129F NOA1 : 2017-07-05
I-129F RFE(s) :  
RFE Reply(s) :  
I-129F NOA2 : 2018-01-31
NVC Received : 2018-02-12
Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2018-02-12
NVC Left : 2018-02-14
Consulate Received : 2018-02-21
Packet 3 Received : 2018-03-08
Packet 3 Sent : 2018-03-09

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.