Lolo20172017

AOS, green card surrendered, still married - will I get denied entry at the airport

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Austria
Timeline

Hey guys,

I am flying to the US via Vancouver in a couple of weeks and I am a little concerned about getting denied entry. When I was young and stupid (7 years ago) I met a guy online, flew out to the states on ESTA to meet him in person. We were young and in love and got married in Vegas. So I adjusted my status (from non immigrant visa to permanent resident). We lived rather happily in the States for a couple of years. I then had to reapply for my green card - when based on marriage you have to prove that it's a bona fide marriage and that you are still together to get an unconditional green card). We filed for that in time. We had no kids, no property together other than two cars and two shared bank accounts nothing that officialy tied us together.. At that time our marriage was already pretty bad but we were living together and we were still thinking we would make it work. Between filing to get the conditions removed from the green card and getting a decision I found out he cheated and we called it quits. I was organizing everything to go back home to Austria, Europe. I then got a letter stating they need more informationa and more proof that this is a bona fide marriage. If they don't receive that I would get deported once my green card expired. At that time I had already booked a flight back home and left the US well before the date stated they would deport me if I don't show more proof. Back home I surrendered my green card at the US embassy in Vienna. I am still married with the guy because an international divorce is rather expensive and he is always broke and I don't see the point in paying for everything. I bought a house in Austria, live with the two dogs I brought back from the States and have the same job for 4 years now (management position) I now met an american in Germany about 6 months back. We hooked up and had a great time. His work visa in Germany ran out in June and he flew back to the states. I want to visit him now. I have no intention to stay. I can't get married again and adjust status since...well...I am still married. I just want to have a good 3 weeks with that man and fly back home to my job, my dogs and my home. I have a feeling I will have trouble at the airport. What do you guys think? When I gave up my green card I asked the lady at the embassy if I should expect problems in the future when entering and she said no. She told me to keep the paperwork she gave me stating that I willingly surrendered my green card and that I should bring it when I travel to the states. I have E-Mails between myself and the still-husband showing that we have no relationship (I did not see him since I left over 4 years ago) We are talking about a divorce for years now. I bought a house in Austria two years ago. So I own property here. I have a car, bills, accounts, family a job and everything else you would expect someone to have who lives somewhere permanently. Nobody has to worry I get married again and stay because I am still married. And as far as I know I can't get into the country on ESTA and then just decide to stay legally because I am married to a US citizen. I would have to apply for the green card here with my husband and then wait until I get it and THEN enter the US. I totally see how it all raises quesions but if you think about it it would not make any sense for me to not return after the 3 weeks. I come from a wealthy country and I have a good job (also have a college degree) I am definitely not planning on giving up my comfortable life in Austria to be an ILLEGAL immigrant without a job in the US. I know it does not mean much but ESTA got approved- in case someone wondered (with a 45 min delay though) Ugh, this is making me so nervous.

10 minutes ago, Lolo20172017 said:

Hey guys,

I am flying to the US via Vancouver in a couple of weeks and I am a little concerned about getting denied entry. When I was young and stupid (7 years ago) I met a guy online, flew out to the states on ESTA to meet him in person. We were young and in love and got married in Vegas. So I adjusted my status (from non immigrant visa to permanent resident). We lived rather happily in the States for a couple of years. I then had to reapply for my green card - when based on marriage you have to prove that it's a bona fide marriage and that you are still together to get an unconditional green card). We filed for that in time. We had no kids, no property together other than two cars and two shared bank accounts nothing that officialy tied us together.. At that time our marriage was already pretty bad but we were living together and we were still thinking we would make it work. Between filing to get the conditions removed from the green card and getting a decision I found out he cheated and we called it quits. I was organizing everything to go back home to Austria, Europe. I then got a letter stating they need more informationa and more proof that this is a bona fide marriage. If they don't receive that I would get deported once my green card expired. At that time I had already booked a flight back home and left the US well before the date stated they would deport me if I don't show more proof. Back home I surrendered my green card at the US embassy in Vienna. I am still married with the guy because an international divorce is rather expensive and he is always broke and I don't see the point in paying for everything. I bought a house in Austria, live with the two dogs I brought back from the States and have the same job for 4 years now (management position) I now met an american in Germany about 6 months back. We hooked up and had a great time. His work visa in Germany ran out in June and he flew back to the states. I want to visit him now. I have no intention to stay. I can't get married again and adjust status since...well...I am still married. I just want to have a good 3 weeks with that man and fly back home to my job, my dogs and my home. I have a feeling I will have trouble at the airport. What do you guys think? When I gave up my green card I asked the lady at the embassy if I should expect problems in the future when entering and she said no. She told me to keep the paperwork she gave me stating that I willingly surrendered my green card and that I should bring it when I travel to the states. I have E-Mails between myself and the still-husband showing that we have no relationship (I did not see him since I left over 4 years ago) We are talking about a divorce for years now. I bought a house in Austria two years ago. So I own property here. I have a car, bills, accounts, family a job and everything else you would expect someone to have who lives somewhere permanently. Nobody has to worry I get married again and stay because I am still married. And as far as I know I can't get into the country on ESTA and then just decide to stay legally because I am married to a US citizen. I would have to apply for the green card here with my husband and then wait until I get it and THEN enter the US. I totally see how it all raises quesions but if you think about it it would not make any sense for me to not return after the 3 weeks. I come from a wealthy country and I have a good job (also have a college degree) I am definitely not planning on giving up my comfortable life in Austria to be an ILLEGAL immigrant without a job in the US. I know it does not mean much but ESTA got approved- in case someone wondered (with a 45 min delay though) Ugh, this is making me so nervous.

That is not correct. You could technically just adjust status again through your (still) husband who you haven't divorced from. 

It's tough to say how good your chances are to be let in. You just never know. There's not 'much' to lose though if you've already booked the tickets. Bring a lot of papers that prove your ties but then again I feel like they never look at that stuff at POE. It's definitely wort a try though! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Seems to me it would much easier and less suspicious if your friend cam to visit you in your country.......

How can emails prove no relationship.?  If I were the customs Officer, I would suspect you of intent to immigrate......."I am married to a USC, but I'm enetring to visit my boyfriend"....:o

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 minute ago, Californiansunset said:

That is not correct. You could technically just adjust status again through your (still) husband who you haven't divorced from. 

It's tough to say how good your chances are to be let in. You just never know. There's not 'much' to lose though if you've already booked the tickets. Bring a lot of papers that prove your ties but then again I feel like they never look at that stuff at POE. It's definitely wort a try though! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

But didn't she give up her ESTA by overstaying the first time???? So she has to apply for the tourist visa now because of that?

Timeline
Just now, cyberfx1024 said:

But didn't she give up her ESTA by overstaying the first time???? So she has to apply for the tourist visa now because of that?

and if she has to explain the whole story to the CO during the B2 interview, it opens a big can of worms, imo.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

10 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

We don't have that info. If she adjusted within the 90 days of the POE she never overstayed or was out of status.

Edited by Californiansunset

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

4 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

But didn't she give up her ESTA by overstaying the first time????

From what I understood of the original post, she never overstayed on the ESTA because she did the AOS.  

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

@missileman @cyberfx1024

Why do you think she can't use her ESTA? Look at the eligibilty questions of the current ESTA form. She won't have to answer yes to any questions asking whether she had immigration intent before or similar. She should be able to use ESTA.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Californiansunset said:

When I gave up my green card I asked the lady at the embassy if I should expect problems in the future when entering and she said no. She told me to keep the paperwork she gave me stating that I willingly surrendered my green card and that I should bring it when I travel to the states.

While there is no guarantee of entry, if you are asked "are you married?" legally you would have to answer yes, but I suppose you would state that you are separated?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Timeline
Just now, Californiansunset said:

@missileman @cyberfx1024

Why do you think she can't use her ESTA? Look at the eligibilty questions of the current ESTA form. She won't have to answer yes to any questions asking whether she had immigration intent before or similar. She should be able to use ESTA.

But she will have to answer questions at the POE.....if she is pulled into secondary, it might be very difficult to explain everything AND convince the IO that she has no intent to adjust again....jmo

Timeline

OP-  Please come back after your trip.....your experience will be most helpful to others......Good Luck

Filed: Other Country: Austria
Timeline

Thanks guys! I didn't know One could adjust status like that. As far as I remember I was just able to do it in the states back then because I was able to prove I had no intention on getting married in the US. If I would have left the US after the wedding I would have had to file from Austria and wait for the results. But maybe I mix things up. It has been a while. I am prepared to show them evidence. 

19 minutes ago, missileman said:

"I am married to a USC, but I'm enetring to visit my boyfriend"....:o

Haha if you put it like that...I get it. To me it 's just so weird since the man I am married to is nothing but a distant memory anymore. With the emails as proof for a non existing relationships I meant that if they want they can read them all...they are cold, distant and talk about divorce most of the time. That or blaming each other for everything. After reading those I doubt anyone would think that man and I are still together or he would help me get a green card if I wanted one. We don't like each other very much- let's put it that way. So you guys think the husband or the boyfriend is the bigger red flag? ( that makes me sound like a terrible person...again I wanna stress that the husband and I have been seperated for over 4 years!)

Also: I never overstayed- so at least that should not be an issue. 

Again- thank you all. You guys are super fast and helpful. I will let you know how it went. I'll fly out Mid october

Edited by Lolo20172017
Forgot sth

It happened before that people got approved for visitor visas or ESTA's, even after surrendering their green cards. 

Just be 100% honest with border patrol and immigration. Take some documents with you that confirm your ties to Austria. 

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

2 minutes ago, missileman said:

But she will have to answer questions at the POE.....if she is pulled into secondary, it might be very difficult to explain everything AND convince the IO that she has no intent to adjust again....jmo

From my experience (and what I know from many of my friends in similar situations) they tend to give people from central Europe the benefit of the doubt (especially Germany, Austria & Switzerland). She has substantial proof of ties. I personally even think that chances are the CBP officer isn't going to ask her so many questions to the point that they will not even find out how odd the story is (still married to US citizen but visiting US boyfriend etc.). 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lolo20172017 said:

Thanks guys! I didn't know One could adjust status like that. As far as I remember I was just able to do it in the states back then because I was able to prove I had no intention on getting married in the US. If I would have left the US after the wedding I would have had to file from Austria and wait for the results. But maybe I mix things up. It has been a while. I am prepared to show them evidence. 

Haha if you put it like that...I get it. To me it 's just so weird since the man I am married to is nothing but a distant memory anymore. With the emails as proof for a non existing relationships I meant that if they want they can read them all...they are cold, distant and talk about divorce most of the time. That or blaming each other for everything. After reading those I doubt anyone would think that man and I are still together or he would help me get a green card if I wanted one. We don't like each other very much- let's put it that way. So you guys think the husband or the boyfriend is the bigger red flag? ( that makes me sound like a terrible person...again I wanna stress that the husband and I have been seperated for over 4 years!)

Honestly, I don't know if you would have many issues re-entering...you've already shown that you have no intention of overstaying/staying illegally/taking advantage of GC benefits by previously relinquishing your green card.  And you have proof of doing so.

If you are asked "who are you visiting", be honest.  If you are asked, in a long shot case, "weren't you married before/filed before/whatever?", be honest.  

Marriages do fall apart, people do get separated and move on with their lives.

I'm certain people at the POE have heard it all, by now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.