Megmar0616

New rules?? Help!!

40 posts in this topic

Does anyone know anything about this??

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/19/youre-not-allowed-to-fall-in-love-with-an-american-under-trumps-new-visa-rules-6939469/

my husband and I got married with in 90days of me being here and plan on AOS. I'm now starting to panic that our plan won't work. I came on here for advice before making any decisions. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

thank you 

5 minutes ago, Roel said:

That's pretty bad that you pre-planned to come here on tourist visa and wanted to aos.  But who am I to judge. :)

Yes. If the rule has been already implemented then you should probably start thinking about going back to your country and applying for the spouse visa. 

Personally I'm happy with the new rules. :)

You're extremely judgmental considering you don't even know what happened. I came here on a 2 week holiday. I decided to extend, my boyfriend proposed, we got married and I came on here for advice- go home and do spousal visa or stay and aos

Anyway I shouldn't have to explain myself considering there are peope who haven't even met their 'partners' yet plan on coming to marry them! 

So keep your opinions to yourself before assuming things :) 

2 minutes ago, Roel said:

Well you first post suggested you came here in the advice to stay and aos. And I am allowed to voice an opinion on a public forum. 

Anyway. Find out when the new rules start being enforced. Maybe consult a lawyer. 

I just read my first post and 'our plan might not work' does sound suspicious...

i did mean our plan of me staying on after the marriage and AOS rather than leaving and doing spousal.

any idea where I can see if these rules have been enforced already?

1 minute ago, Scandi said:

I personally wish they will remove the option of being able to stay and adjust status for those who arrive on a tourist visa or esta. These people should apply for visas just like the rest of us.

Well as stated to the previous person.. I did come on here for advice of whether I should stay and aos or leave and apply for spousal visa and most people recommended aos.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

USCIS usually posts about changes to US immigration. I bet they'll post something when/if this becomes a reality. https://www.uscis.gov/news-releases

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

2 minutes ago, Scandi said:

USCIS usually posts about changes to US immigration. I bet they'll post something when/if this becomes a reality. https://www.uscis.gov/news-releases

Thank you! 

6 hours ago, Megmarcus said:

Does anyone know anything about this??

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/19/youre-not-allowed-to-fall-in-love-with-an-american-under-trumps-new-visa-rules-6939469/

my husband and I got married with in 90days of me being here and plan on AOS. I'm now starting to panic that our plan won't work. I came on here for advice before making any decisions. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

thank you 

Those rules have not been implemented yet, the whole law is actually in Congress right now waiiting for a vote. 

Filed: Timeline
52 minutes ago, skim00 said:

I really wish people would stop freaking out about this. Yes the president has announced this "new" rule but there is another thread IN THIS SAME FORUM about this issue. This "rule" will take a lot of time to become an approved policy and then enforced by the several immigration agencies (CBP, ICE, USCIS etc), which operate separately. 

Also, I'm biased because I came on a tourist visa and now I'm in AoS. But I don't think there's anything wrong with that scenario. People commit fraud with spouse/fiance visas too and all the other available visas too. I don't perceive one method as easier or harder. The chosen method depends on the couple, who they are as people, and their life's circumstances. To say that people shouldn't be allowed to marry and AoS just because the foreigner came on a tourist visa comes across as very ignorant to me. It won't stop fradulent couples at all anyways.

The distinction is planning ahead to come to the US and AOS, and that's not a legal method (that's my take on how I read what you wrote, but correct if I'm wrong). If you do that it's fraud, and against the TOS for this website to talk about such method.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Umka36 said:

The distinction is planning ahead to come to the US and AOS, and that's not a legal method (that's my take on how I read what you wrote, but correct if I'm wrong). If you do that it's fraud, and against the TOS for this website to talk about such method.

Oh yes, I agree that "planning ahead" is the distinction.  I was actually referring to couples who DIDN'T plan ahead but made the decision to marry AFTER the foreigner entered the US (like it happened with me and my husband).  My original post in this thread was more in reaction to this:

12 hours ago, Scandi said:

I personally wish they will remove the option of being able to stay and adjust status for those who arrive on a tourist visa or esta. These people should apply for spouse/fiancé visas just like the rest of us.

However, upon re-reading THIS post, I'm guessing that @Scandi was also referring to couples who "plan ahead"  and adjust status after arriving on a tourist visa or ESTA.   There are couples out there who are NOT real couples (just people looking for immigration benefits), apply for fiance/spousal visas and manage to get into the US this way.  And then there are couples who plan ahead, come to the US as a tourist, marry and achieve LPR status/citizenship.  In my opinion, removing the right for real couples to adjust status after a tourist visa won't change a damn thing.

Edited by skim00

19 minutes ago, kris&me said:

but it does look bad as u had a bf in the US when u got the tourist visa

so, if your plans are to go home and apply CR1 then we all wish u the best

I came here on esta and at POE I was asked why I was here, I told the immigration officer visiting family (as I have family here also) and my boyfriend.. which was my plan at poe!! A 2 week break with return ticket booked! So you can't visit a boyfriend/ girlfriend on a tourist visa? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.