Jump to content

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Does this mean starting October AOS filers will have to attend an interview? 

USCIS to Expand In-Person Interview Requirements for Certain Permanent Residency Applicants
Release Date: Aug. 28, 2017

WASHINGTON – U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will begin expanding in-person interviews for certain immigration benefit applicants whose benefit, if granted, would allow them to permanently reside in the United States. This change complies with Executive Order 13780, “Protecting the Nation From Foreign Terrorist Entry Into the United States,” and is part of the agency’s comprehensive strategy to further improve the detection and prevention of fraud and further enhance the integrity of the immigration system.
 
Effective Oct. 1, USCIS will begin to phase-in interviews for the following:
 
• Adjustment of status applications based on employment (Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status).
 
• Refugee/asylee relative petitions (Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition) for beneficiaries who are in the United States and are petitioning to join a principal asylee/refugee applicant.
 
Previously, applicants in these categories did not require an in-person interview with USCIS officers in order for their application for permanent residency to be adjudicated. Beyond these categories, USCIS is planning an incremental expansion of interviews to other benefit types. 
 
“This change reflects the Administration’s commitment to upholding and strengthening the integrity of our nation’s immigration system,” said Acting USCIS Director James W. McCament. “USCIS and our federal partners are working collaboratively to develop more robust screening and vetting procedures for individuals seeking immigration benefits to reside in the United States.”
 
Conducting in-person interviews will provide USCIS officers with the opportunity to verify the information provided in an individual’s application, to discover new information that may be relevant to the adjudication process, and to determine the credibility of the individual seeking permanent residence in the United States.  USCIS will meet the additional interview requirement through enhancements in training and technology as well as transitions in some aspects of case management.

Additionally, individuals can report allegations of immigration fraud or abuse by completing ICE’s HSI Tip Form.

For more information on USCIS and its programs, please visit uscis.gov or follow us on Twitter (@uscis), YouTube (/uscis), Facebook(/uscis) and Instagram (@USCIS).

- USCIS -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Mmagic said:

Does this mean starting October AOS filers will have to attend an interview? 

USCIS to Expand In-Person Interview Requirements for Certain Permanent Residency Applicants
Release Date: Aug. 28, 2017

WASHINGTON – U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will begin expanding in-person interviews for certain immigration benefit applicants whose benefit, if granted, would allow them to permanently reside in the United States. This change complies with Executive Order 13780, “Protecting the Nation From Foreign Terrorist Entry Into the United States,” and is part of the agency’s comprehensive strategy to further improve the detection and prevention of fraud and further enhance the integrity of the immigration system.
 
Effective Oct. 1, USCIS will begin to phase-in interviews for the following:
 
• Adjustment of status applications based on employment (Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status).
 
• Refugee/asylee relative petitions (Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition) for beneficiaries who are in the United States and are petitioning to join a principal asylee/refugee applicant.
 
Previously, applicants in these categories did not require an in-person interview with USCIS officers in order for their application for permanent residency to be adjudicated. Beyond these categories, USCIS is planning an incremental expansion of interviews to other benefit types. 
 
“This change reflects the Administration’s commitment to upholding and strengthening the integrity of our nation’s immigration system,” said Acting USCIS Director James W. McCament. “USCIS and our federal partners are working collaboratively to develop more robust screening and vetting procedures for individuals seeking immigration benefits to reside in the United States.”
 
Conducting in-person interviews will provide USCIS officers with the opportunity to verify the information provided in an individual’s application, to discover new information that may be relevant to the adjudication process, and to determine the credibility of the individual seeking permanent residence in the United States.  USCIS will meet the additional interview requirement through enhancements in training and technology as well as transitions in some aspects of case management.

Additionally, individuals can report allegations of immigration fraud or abuse by completing ICE’s HSI Tip Form.

For more information on USCIS and its programs, please visit uscis.gov or follow us on Twitter (@uscis), YouTube (/uscis), Facebook(/uscis) and Instagram (@USCIS).

- USCIS -

I'm under the impression that it will affect people that file after October 1. Same with when the updated filing fees last December as long as you filed before December 23rd you were fine. Haven't seen an official word


11/30: Sent I-129F package to Dallas Lockbox


12/01: Petition recieved and signed


12/03: NOA1 text recieved @4:23pm


12/03: NOA1 Email recieved, sent to CSC


12/07: NOA1 hard copy recieved

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, f f said:

I read it as they can not approve applications without an interview after that date.

All that this means now is USCIS going to be stretched to the max, and interviews approvals will take much longer to obtain. Could be a year or so, my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mmagic said:

All that this means now is USCIS going to be stretched to the max, and interviews approvals will take much longer to obtain. Could be a year or so, my opinion. 

my only hope is that they increase the fees for the ones that will need more work so they are staffed correctly rather than slow everyone down. besides I wouldn't lose any sleep if they doubled or tripled the price of an employment based aos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband and I just had our AOS interview today (approved) and our interviewing officer said that we were lucky to get ours done so fast because apparently times are going to get a LOT longer for AOS. :/ From sending our papers in to the interview it took 4.5 months but he said that it was going to start taking longer soon. 


K-1 Process: 

August 15th, 2016 - Form I-129f Petition sent to Dallas.

August 23rd, 2016 - NOA 1 received/re-routed to California Service Center.

October 3rd, 2016 - NOA 2 received.

November 2nd, 2016 - NVC received. 

December 8th, 2016 - Medical Exam

December 15th, 2016 - Interview (Approved)

Adjustment of Status:

January 19th, 2017 - POE (Detroit)

February 10th, 2017 - Received Social Security Card in Mail

March 4th, 2017 - Wedding!!!

May 9th, 2017 - AOS NOA 1.

May 26th, 2017 - RFE received and sent back same day. 

May 31st, 2017 - Biometrics.

June 1st, 2017 - RFE Response Received by USCIS.

June 7th, 2017 - EAD Expedite Requested.

June 15th, 2017 - EAD Online Case Status Change-New Card Being Produced. 
June 20th, 2017 - EAD Online Case Status Change-Card Was Mailed. 
June 22nd, 2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card received in mail. 
July 13th, 2017 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview.
August 18th, 2017 - Case Scheduled for Interview.
September 21st, 2017 - AOS Interview in Detroit-APPROVED!!! (Case Status Updated 6 hours After Interview-Didn't receive on spot approval). 
September 25th, 2017 - "Welcome to the United States" letter/Written confirmation of green card approval arrived in mail. 
September 26th, 2017 - Online status change to "My Card Was Mailed to Me."
September 29th, 2017 - Green Card Received! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alan&Rachelle said:

My husband and I just had our AOS interview today (approved) and our interviewing officer said that we were lucky to get ours done so fast because apparently times are going to get a LOT longer for AOS. :/ From sending our papers in to the interview it took 4.5 months but he said that it was going to start taking longer soon. 

Congrats on the approval...The most important part of our AOS, we received the combo card for EAD and AP.  Interview and Green Card can wait little longer, no problem. lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My field office timeline says they're working on December 2016 AOS cases so I am guessing my Interview will not be any time soon. I just really want to receive my EAD


K1 Visa

Spoiler
  • December 21, 2016 - Package Sent
  • December 23, 2016 - Package Received
  • January 05, 2017 - NOA1 text / e-mail
  • January 11, 2017 - NOA1 mail
  • April 04, 2017 - Case Approved
  • April 10, 2017 - NOA2 mail
  • April 24, 2017 - NVC Received, Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned too.
  • April 26, 2017 - Consulate Received
  • May 04, 2017 - Packet 3 Letters Sent.
  • May 15, 2017 - Packet 3 Arrived in Mail
  • June 15 , 2017 - Medical
  • June 16 , 2017 - Biometrics
  • June 20 , 2017 - Interview / Approved! 
  • June 27 , 2017 - Visa on hand
  • June 29 , 2017 - POE / JFK Airport, New York

July 15, 2017:  W E D D I N G ! ! ! ! !

 

AOS

 

  • August 16, 2017 - AOS Package Sent / AOS, EAD, AP. Affidavit.
  • August 18, 2017 - Package Received
  • August 26, 2017 - NOA1 text / e-mail
  • August 31, 2017 - NOA1 mail
  • September 05, 2017 - ASC Appoinment letter / mail
  • September 12, 2017 - ASC Appoinment
  • September 20, 2017 - Case updated to:  Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview
  • October 28, 2017 - Case updated to:  Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview --AGAIN-- ????
  • November 22, 2017 - EAD/AP  Approval letter in mail
  • November 27, 2017 - EAD/AP Card Received

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears that anything and everything related to immigration seems to be taking a lot longer than before. It seems to be due to more and more applications being pushed through combined with the understaffed USCIS, as well as the recent/impending changes with immigration. 

 

I agree with the others who say that the USCIS should increase their fees in order to employ more people who can assist in speeding up the process.It's a best case scenario for both parties.


04/14/16-Case Received

04/18/16-NOA1

04/21/16-NOA1 Hard Copy

06/30/16-NOA2 (73 days)

07/05/16-NOA2 Hard Copy

07/25/16-NVC Case Number Assigned.

07/26/16-Case was in Transit.

07/28/16-Case is now 'Ready' in Amsterdam

08/03/16-Received packet 3

09/27/16-Interview - APPROVED!!

09/29/16- Visa received.

10/29/16- POE date.

12/03/16-Receiving Social Security Number

12/01/16-Married

 

01/09/17-Filed AP, AOS and EAD

01/22/17-Received NOA1 

02/06/17-Biometrics Appointment Letter Received 

02/10/17- Digital RFIE received 

02/16/17-Biometrics appointment

02/21/17-RFIE Response Sent

02/23/17-RFIE Response received by USCIS

02/24/17-Status was updated on the USCIS website to "Response received" 

03/09/17-Status changed to "Ready to Schedule Interview"

04/14/17-Filed a service request for EAD card

04/19/17- EAD card is being produced

04/25/17-EAD/AP card was sent out.

04/27/17-Received combo card. 

09/25/17-AOS Interview-APPROVED!

09/30/17-Green card in hand! Done for 2 years :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now this is mostly effecting the Refugee/Asylum & Employment Applicants. Over time they will start expanding those with spouses of green cards wouldn't be as bad right now.


..:::: My Visa Journey Timeline ::::..

2013

  • 10/20/2013 [Married]
  • 12/11/2013 [I-130 Mailed Phoeniz, AZ Lockbox]
  • 12/12/2013 [Priority Date]
  • 12/17/2013 [Received & Money Order Cashed | e-Mail | Text] [Last Update 1]

2014

  • 01/09/2014 [NOA1 (I-797C) Hardcopy Recieved]
  • 05/29/2014 [Alien Registration Number Changed | e-Mail | Text] [Last Update 2]
  • 06/10/2014 [I-130 Approved | e-Mail | Text] [Last Update 3]
  • 06/16/2014 [Shipped to NVC for processing | e-Mail | Text] [Last Update 4]
  • 06/30/2014 [Received at NVC] [Last Update 5]
  • 07/24/2014 [Case, IIN and BIN Numbers received] [Last Update 6]
  • 07/31/2014 [Received AOS Bill & DS-261 | e-Mail | Text] [Last Update 7]
  • 08/02/2014 [Paid AOS Bill] [Last Update 8]
  • 08/04/2014 [Package AOS Sent] [Last Update 9]
  • 09/11/2014 [Received IV Bill] [Last Update 10]
  • 09/12/2014 [Paid IV Bill] [Last Update 11]
  • 09/15/2014 [IV Package Sent] [Last Update 12]
  • 09/18/2014 [DS-260 Completed] [Last Update 13]
  • 10/03/2014 [AOS Check-list Sent] [Last Update 14]
  • 12/03/2014 [Case Complete | e-Mail] [Last Update 15]
  • 12/23/2014 [Medical Exam] [Last Update 16]

2015

  • 01/28/2015 [interview] [Last Update 17]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×