juanlee337

Marriage without a ceremony with fiancee visa

13 posts in this topic

I want to apply for finance visa instead of spousal visa because I dont want her to wait for me another 6~8 months after we get married to come to the US. 

The plan is to get fiancee visa approved, have ceremony outside of the states(non official), and once she comes here with her fiancee visa, get married(apply for marriage licence without a ceremony).

Anybody have any thoughts or experience int his matter?

As long as you don't get legally married before she came to the states you should be fine with a ceremony, specially if you do that after her visa is approved. Could actually be a very nice way to celebrate the visa approval!!!

Good luck!

02/14/2012 - Meet in person for the first time after talking online for over a year! :wub:

04/11/2012 - His first Visit to Brazil!!! (He was there twice).

09/12/2012 - Trip together to Cancun.

09/18/2012 - My First arrival/visit to United States (I visited about 4 to 6 times until my last arrival)

09/27/2016 - Last Arrival on B1/B2 Visa

02/01/2017 - MARRIED!!!

05/28/2017 - Package Sent

05/30/2017 - Package delivered 

06/09/2017 - Package returned (outdated I-130)

06/12/2017 - New package sent

06/14/2017 - New Package delivered

06/20/2017 - Check cashed

06/21/2017 - e-mails and texts received

06/24/2017 - Notice of action (Acceptance letter) received in the mail.

06/30/2017 - Biometrics appointment received in mail.

07/03/2017 - Biometrics done! (it was a successful walk in, my appointment was 07/10)

09/02/2017 - Service Request for EAD.

09/25/2017 - Call to tier 2 after no update on SR.

09/25/2017 - New Card Is Being Produced!!! (YAY)

09/30/2017 - EAD in hands!!!

04/08/2018 - Online Status Changed! - Interview Scheduled!!!

04/11/2018 - Inteview letter on the mail!

05/11/2018 - Interview at West Palm Beach field Office - Approved on spot!!!

3 minutes ago, GabiMatch said:

As long as you don't get legally married before she came to the states you should be fine with a ceremony, specially if you do that after her visa is approved. Could actually be a very nice way to celebrate the visa approval!!!

Good luck!

So many people got in trouble, I lost count. Do not do any kind of marriage, legal or otherwise, unless you do not mind starting over with a spouse visa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Echoing @Lemonslice: If you are planning to file for a fiancee visa, is not a good idea to have any kind of ceremony that could be construed as marriage, even if it is not official.

I have read many, many cases here of people who did that, and found themselves in limbo: too "married" for the K-1, and "not married enough" for a CR-1, so they had to wait even longer, have an official marriage ceremony, and then start all over again applying for the CR-1.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

make sure not perform any of the local customs associated with getting married or have any sort of religious figure there talking about marriage.

it is ceremonies like this which cause people to be too married for the k1 and not married enough for the cr1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
43 minutes ago, juanlee337 said:

I want to apply for finance visa instead of spousal visa because I dont want her to wait for me another 6~8 months after we get married to come to the US. 

The plan is to get fiancee visa approved, have ceremony outside of the states(non official), and once she comes here with her fiancee visa, get married(apply for marriage licence without a ceremony).

EITHER come to US BEFORE any kind of marriage on a K-1.... or..... get married, file for CR-1 and then come.........If try to play games with USCIS or NVC, you will very, very likely find yourselves with a MUCH longer wait..........

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

K1 visa process takes nearly 6 months and if guys can wait for 6-8 months then  you can wait for a little more time. I know waiting is hell because all the K-1 & CR-1 will go through the waiting process but If you guys planned your marriage then I'd say get married and apply for CR-1. 

K-1 (I-129F):

15-Jul-2016- I-129F filed

17-Mar-2017- Interview

19-APR-2017- K-1 Visa Approved

Adjustment of Status (I-485 & I-765):

07-AUG-2017- Date filed

14-AUG-2017- NOA1

04-MAY-2018- AOS interview/Approved

Lifting Conditions (I-751):

01-May-2020- Date filed

04-May-2020- NOA1

16-Sep-2021- Approved/No interview

Naturalization (N-400):

23-Feb-2023: Filed online

23-Feb-2023: NOA1

15-Mar-2023: Biometrics

17 hours ago, juanlee337 said:

Do you mean like a justice of the peace marriage?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

My fiance and  I had a commitment  ceremony  while waiting  for K1 visa

My visa was approved  I entered the US and following  day we went to the local courthouse  and were legally  married. 

I didn't  see any problems  as it wasn't  a legal marriage  until I entered the country.

You can't have a cake and eat cake...

SO MANY people had their K1  visa denied because of their "unofficial" ceremonies.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Technically speaking having a celebratory ceremony is not only allowed, but normal and customary.  Many will have one ceremony with spouses family abroad, and then a second in the US, with only one of them being the actual "legal" marriage.  However, in practice, this has been causing problems recently with K-1 visas, where people were denied and told to apply as spouses, even if they were not yet legally married!.  I would not bring any of this up in an interview, nor have photos of the ceremony, or other evidence, if you do this.  If you want to celebrate privately with your spouses family, keep it private.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.