prairieprincess

Help figuring out my alien status?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone, quick background: I entered on a K-1 visa, married within the 90 days and filed for EAD/AP/AOS. I just received my EAD/AP card and plan to start working soon as a vet tech. I'm filling out an application form to register as a tech here and I have to choose an option for the Alien Status Declaration, but I'm not sure what to choose since I'm in the weird AOS-pending status. I've narrowed down my options to these:

1. An alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence under the INA

2. An alien paroled into the U.S. for at least one year under Section 212(d)(5) of the INA

3. An alien paroled into the U.S. for less than one year under Section 212(d)(5) of the INA

4. An alien granted conditional entry under Section 203(a)(7) of the INA

5. A nonimmigrant under the INA (8 U.S.C. 1101 et seq.)

6. A person not described in the previous categories who is otherwise lawfully present in the U.S.

I tried reading through the laws, but a lot of it is way over my head.. any help trying to figure this out would be very much appreciated!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
41 minutes ago, prairieprincess said:

Hi everyone, quick background: I entered on a K-1 visa, married within the 90 days and filed for EAD/AP/AOS. I just received my EAD/AP card and plan to start working soon as a vet tech. I'm filling out an application form to register as a tech here and I have to choose an option for the Alien Status Declaration, but I'm not sure what to choose since I'm in the weird AOS-pending status. I've narrowed down my options to these:

1. An alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence under the INA

2. An alien paroled into the U.S. for at least one year under Section 212(d)(5) of the INA

3. An alien paroled into the U.S. for less than one year under Section 212(d)(5) of the INA

4. An alien granted conditional entry under Section 203(a)(7) of the INA

5. A nonimmigrant under the INA (8 U.S.C. 1101 et seq.)

6. A person not described in the previous categories who is otherwise lawfully present in the U.S.

I tried reading through the laws, but a lot of it is way over my head.. any help trying to figure this out would be very much appreciated!!

hmm...confusing options...i didnt know that such question exists and now since i read this, looks like am gonna face the same question in the future. Am guessing its option 6 but i"ll wait for experienced members to answer it.

K-1 (I-129F):

15-Jul-2016- I-129F filed

17-Mar-2017- Interview

19-APR-2017- K-1 Visa Approved

Adjustment of Status (I-485 & I-765):

07-AUG-2017- Date filed

14-AUG-2017- NOA1

04-MAY-2018- AOS interview/Approved

Lifting Conditions (I-751):

01-May-2020- Date filed

04-May-2020- NOA1

16-Sep-2021- Approved/No interview

Naturalization (N-400):

23-Feb-2023: Filed online

23-Feb-2023: NOA1

15-Mar-2023: Biometrics

Timeline

Thanks for your help! I was thinking it might be the last option too. There is a note with option 6 that worried me a bit though, it says "The federal Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act may make persons who fall into this category ineligible for licensure. See 8 U.S.C. 1621 (a)." (I tried looking that one up as well, it has to do with professional licenses but other than that I had a hard time understanding what it all meant).

I will write up my application tomorrow and send it in, whatever the outcome is I will make a note on here for anyone who has the same question in the future.

• 3 months later...
Timeline

For anyone wondering how it went, I filled out my application to register as a vet tech under "A person not described in the previous categories who is otherwise lawfully present in the U.S.". They accepted my application, I passed the state testing and am working as an RVT here now :D

Also have my AOS interview next week.. excited but nervous!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.