Mubashir Anwar

Can non-us citizen sponsor US tourist Visa of Parents from Pakistan

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi

I am a Pakistani national living and working in Dubai. I have an older brother in the USA. He is a green-card holder and was married to American citizen. He has two daughters born in America.

I would like my parents to visit him. My parents live in Karachi, Pakistan. They are retired (63 and 54 years old) and dont have any source of income or savings. I can sponsor their expenses with my savings.

I would like guidance on how to best present their case. They will be travelling alone (just two of them). The purpose of visit is to meet my brother and their granddaughters. Its been 14 years since my brother last visited us. My parents are facing depression due to long period of 

Is there any official way I can sponsor my parents? I can arrange for bank statements, employer letter, etc.
I know a US citizen can sponsor relatives and there is form and detailed requirements for that. However, my brother is not able to arrange for all documents. His financial situation isnt great and is currently unemployed. He can still provide an invitation letter and proof of his identification.

Is it better if my brother provides sponsorship documents even though his financial details are weak? Is it better if I transfer money to my Parent's bank account so they are able to self-sponsor. However they do not have any source of income.

My dad had the US multiple visa in 1997 and did not travel to the US. 

Is there any reputable service provider in Karachi, who can arrange the entire logistics of the US application for a fee. 

If any additional information is required, i can provide on request.

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Unfortunately, nobody can sponsor a visitor visa application. The applicants must apply on their own behalf. So even if your brother was a USC he could still not sponsor them. 

As they have no income or savings, and a son who lives in the US, I would think that their application would have a poor chance of success - do they own property in Pakistan or is there anything else to "prove" that they will return home and not stay in the US indefinitely? This will show a successful application for them. You can pay their fees if you choose but even if you transfer money to their account, a lump sum deposited at once does not show a strong tie to their country and could be questioned. 

Is there any reason that your brother and his children are unable to travel back to Pakistan to visit his family? If you can afford to help your parents to travel, and your brother cannot afford it, maybe you can help him instead? 

They of course can apply for visitor visa anytime, I do not know them and have not ever applied for a visitor visa from Pakistan, so of course it's possible but not likely. 

As stated above, nobody can sponsor somebody else's tourist visa. That's just not the way it works...the individual must qualify on their own.

A USC can petition their parents for a green card to live in the US as a permanent resident. That's not what is being asked here, but may have been the confusion.

Edit:

25 minutes ago, Mubashir Anwar said:

Is it better if I transfer money to my Parent's bank account so they are able to self-sponsor. However they do not have any source of income.

If they have no income and a sudden deposit goes into their account, it will look very fishy. COs see this type of stuff all the time.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from Bringing Family to Tourist Visa forum, as Op doesn't intend for the parents to immigrate. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Agree you sound confused, they apply and find out.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

i was reading somewhere (maybe on Quora) about the invitation letter from PR and USC for Tourist visa.  And one of the retired US diplomat replied saying how they don't care about the invitation letter and don't even check it, 

For a tourist visa, they have to prove their ties to their home country and show that they have more than sufficient funds to fund their trip. 

Don't hire an agency to fill out the forms etc. In the matter of visa, no agent can help.

Edited by Bunny&Ninja

13 minutes ago, Bunny&Ninja said:

i was reading somewhere (maybe on Quora) about the invitation letter from PR and USC for Tourist visa.  And one of the retired US diplomat replied saying how they don't care about the invitation letter and don't even check it, 

For a tourist visa, they have to prove their ties to their home country and show that they have more than sufficient funds to fund their trip. 

Don't hire an agency to fill out the forms etc. In the matter of visa, no agent can help.

This is a common misconception that a individual can sponsor someone else for tourist visa. When in reality that is not the case at all and in fact it hurts more than it could ever help.

Of course you can sponsor or pay for the trip.  One part of the visa interview may be to determine how the costs of travel are being paid for, but honestly this is a minor factor that often does not even come up. 

The more important item to address is the visitor proving strong ties to the home country.  This has nothing to do with who is paying for the trip, and is much more likely to result in a visa denial.  Few people are denied entry simply because they lack the funds to pay for their trip (although lacking funds to adequately pay for the trip could be construed as evidence that the visitor does not plan to return to their home country). 

Got it?

Edited by YankeesFan1991

12 minutes ago, YankeesFan1991 said:

Of course you can sponsor or pay for the trip.  One part of the visa interview may be to determine how the costs of travel are being paid for, but honestly this is a minor factor that often does not even come up. 

You can pay for somebody's ticket and offer lodging (in home or hotel/motel/whatever). You cannot sponsor them for the visa.

It doesn't come up in the interview too often because who is paying for the trip is asked on the DS-160, so the CO already has an answer and only asks to either verify or get more details.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Another option would be for you to pay for your brother and nieces to fly to Pakistan. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
6 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

Another option would be for you to pay for your brother and nieces to fly to Pakistan. 

Win win

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:48 AM, YankeesFan1991 said:

The more important item to address is the visitor proving strong ties to the home country.  This has nothing to do with who is paying for the trip, and is much more likely to result in a visa denial.  Few people are denied entry simply because they lack the funds to pay for their trip (although lacking funds to adequately pay for the trip could be construed as evidence that the visitor does not plan to return to their home country). 

Got it?

In this case I think who pays is very important because the family & the money are in the USA. Strong ties are number one & those change to the USA upon entry. The only way to really ever know is to apply. I am sorry to say in this case I doubt the visa would be granted. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.