Derik-Lina

K1-AP: Administrative Processing Question

16 posts in this topic

Everyone goes through AP. Some short, some long. Usually background checks happen at the AP stage.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Every case goes through AP. For a K-1, it will also switch between immigrant and non-immigrant during the process until it is finally changed to "ISSUED" in CEAC.

As for what it is, that's hard to say. Any processing after the interview is part of AP. That could mean verification of documents or statements, background checks, additional review needed, etc.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
9 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

Everyone goes through AP. Some short, some long. Usually background checks happen at the AP stage.

Thanks a bunch.

Honest-Love-Respect

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

As others have said, everyone goes through some period of AP. In Morocco, long periods of AP can be common. In our case, we were in AP for all of 2 days as the visa was being processed and printed. Others are not so lucky and wait weeks or months. Unfortunately it can be difficult to predict AP timelines at the Casablanca consulate... If the interview goes well and the officer says the case is approved, AP tends to only be a few days unless there is a missing document. If the interview has a negative or even just a neutral outcome (as in the officer didn't directly say the case was approved), these cases tend to turn into denials after months of waiting and hearing no response. If you are given the DS-5535 to submit (seemingly random applicants are selected, not sure how or why), expect to wait in AP anywhere from a few weeks to a few months before being issued the passport with the visa inside. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Timeline
1 minute ago, RJandHamid said:

As others have said, everyone goes through some period of AP. In Morocco, long periods of AP can be common. In our case, we were in AP for all of 2 days as the visa was being processed and printed. Others are not so lucky and wait weeks or months. Unfortunately it can be difficult to predict AP timelines at the Casablanca consulate... If the interview goes well and the officer says the case is approved, AP tends to only be a few days unless there is a missing document. If the interview has a negative or even just a neutral outcome (as in the officer didn't directly say the case was approved), these cases tend to turn into denials after months of waiting and hearing no response. If you are given the DS-5535 to submit (seemingly random applicants are selected, not sure how or why), expect to wait in AP anywhere from a few weeks to a few months before being issued the passport with the visa inside. 

Bottom line it s a wait wait game ;p lucky you are done and done. While I have you here, my Fiancee s English is not up the speed and prefers to interview in Moroccan. Is that possible and do you recommend it? On another note, I suggest either Immigration law or State Department as a career for you lol I am heading in one of those two directions myself. A late change in career but I am digging it despite the wait game here.

Honest-Love-Respect

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Derick said:

Bottom line it s a wait wait game ;p lucky you are done and done. While I have you here, my Fiancee s English is not up the speed and prefers to interview in Moroccan. Is that possible and do you recommend it? On another note, I suggest either Immigration law or State Department as a career for you lol I am heading in one of those two directions myself. A late change in career but I am digging it despite the wait game here.

Yes she can do the interview in Arabic, but I very highly recommend doing the interview in English. The Moroccan COs who conduct the Arabic speaking interviews have a reputation of being much tougher than the English speaking officers. When my husband went for his interview, the questions that the Moroccan officers were asking applicants were much more difficult and detailed than the ones that he was asked by the American officer (his interview was in English). There were about 10 other people interviewing during the time my husband was there and only 2-3 of them got a verbal approval from the officer. 

I would love to help people with immigration questions a career, but I don't want to go to law school haha :P

For now I'll just stick to helping out on VisaJourney. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Timeline
11 minutes ago, RJandHamid said:

Yes she can do the interview in Arabic, but I very highly recommend doing the interview in English. The Moroccan COs who conduct the Arabic speaking interviews have a reputation of being much tougher than the English speaking officers. When my husband went for his interview, the questions that the Moroccan officers were asking applicants were much more difficult and detailed than the ones that he was asked by the American officer (his interview was in English). There were about 10 other people interviewing during the time my husband was there and only 2-3 of them got a verbal approval from the officer. 

I would love to help people with immigration questions a career, but I don't want to go to law school haha :P

For now I'll just stick to helping out on VisaJourney. 

Question:

EU Citizens, Canadians and other Westerners can visit the US without applying for Visas.

If they can marry their loved USC s while visiting, and without breaking any laws, why are they here discussing K1 Visas?

Most of them are approved in much shorter periods of time and without a sweat. I am just curious.

What are your thoughts?

Honest-Love-Respect

6 minutes ago, Derick said:

Question:

EU Citizens, Canadians and other Westerners can visit the US without applying for Visas.

If they can marry their loved USC s while visiting, and without breaking any laws, why are they here discussing K1 Visas?

Most of them are approved in much shorter periods of time and without a sweat. I am just curious.

What are your thoughts?

Entering on the VWP (and Canadians with B1/B2 status) with the intent to stay/adjust status is fraud. They can marry, but they still must intend to return home.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

Entering on the VWP with the intent to stay/adjust status is fraud. They can marry, but they still must intend to return home.

Now, I understand and I know that if one dares to even attempt to break any laws would be banned from entering the US for years, if not for life. Thank you,

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

Entering on the VWP with the intent to stay/adjust status is fraud. They can marry, but they still must intend to return home.

Honest-Love-Respect

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Derick said:

This link explains it pretty well....the consequences can be very serious...

https://www.soundimmigration.com/can-i-enter-on-a-visitors-visa-b-2-and-then-adjust-status-to-permanent-resident/

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Entering on the VWP (and Canadians with B1/B2 status) with the intent to stay/adjust status is fraud. They can marry, but they still must intend to return home.

The more I visit this site, the more I learn; Perhaps, I d be ready to explore a law career soon. Thanks

Honest-Love-Respect

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, Derick said:

The more I visit this site, the more I learn; Perhaps, I d be ready to explore a law career soon. Thanks

Visa Journey is always a very educational place, and it sometimes a very entertaining place as well.  There are quite a few very skilled experts here such as @geowrian who you can rely upon to give good, accurate information.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, missileman said:

Visa Journey is always a very educational place, and it sometimes a very entertaining place as well.  There are quite a few very skilled experts here such as @geowrian who you can rely upon to give good, accurate information.

I am very serious about attempting a career in either Immigration Law or Foreign Service. It is very interesting and I feel it is noble to assist those who are legit to either immigrate or visit this great country.

Honest-Love-Respect

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

we never were put in AP

denied 1st time on the spot

when approved, he was told and i had not heard from him and emailed the embassy and got an  answer back saying he was approved

i found out from embassy before he called me

don't be surrpised when K1 packet is returned to US/ Morocco is known for this / email embassy and ask if K1 packet is still at embassy / i certainly would

and best bet is to return to Morocco and marry

what you need to do for marriage in morocco can be found by googling "What does an American need to do to marry in Morocco?'

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.