Peekay134

Good idea to reapply for tourist Visa few days after refusal?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ghana
Timeline
11 minutes ago, geowrian said:

It would not be advisable to try again so soon. You're basically asking the next CO to not only find her eligible (with no changes in circumstances), but overrule their coworker.

Personally, I think her answers sounded fine. They may not have been exactly what you wanted her to say, but the CO was able to ascertain her circumstances and make a decision with that information just fine. Her ties just weren't strong enough, sorry. Getting a tourist visa from some countries is just very difficult due to current and past fraud, which sets a higher bar for the next person.

Thanks for the advise

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

It would not be advisable to try again so soon. You're basically asking the next CO to not only find her eligible (with no changes in circumstances), but overrule their coworker.

Personally, I think her answers sounded fine. They may not have been exactly what you wanted her to say, but the CO was able to ascertain her circumstances and make a decision with that information just fine. Her ties just weren't strong enough, sorry. Getting a tourist visa from some countries is just very difficult due to current and past fraud, which sets a higher bar for the next person.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Peekay134 said:

Hi. My neice was refused a tourist visa a few days ago. She has travelled to Germany before. According to her, the interview was going well until the consular asked who is paying for her trip and she said herself. She feels she was refused because she was answering the interview questions with only closed answers and so maybe she should have given more explanations to demonstrate strong ties. She is working as a secretary and document controller in an oil company. This is how the interview went

Q: Why do you want to visit the US?

A: I want to use my vacation to visit family in the US. Also I've been to Europe before so i want to use this opportunity to see the US as well

Q: Where did you travel to in Europe?

A: Germany

Q: How many times did you go to Germany?

A: Once

Q: What do you do 

A: Im a secretary and document controller (This is where I feel she shuld have answered like this- " I work with an oil company as a secretary and document controller". Maybe this could have made her case stronger)

Q: Who is paying for the trip?

A: Myself (Also I feel she should have answered this way;- Im paying for my ticket and I'll be staying with my uncle in the US)

At this point the consular told her she's inelligible to for the visa.

My question is; is it advisable to reapply after two weeks now that she understands how to answer the interview questions well. Does she stand a better chance???

You're way off on this.  Your niece answered the questions honestly.  Adding a word or two would not make a difference.  I hope you didn't scold her.  If you did you should apologize because you do not know the reason for ineligibility.

10 minutes ago, David & Zoila said:

You're way off on this.  Your niece answered the questions honestly.  Adding a word or two would not make a difference.  I hope you didn't scold her.  If you did you should apologize because you do not know the reason for ineligibility.

This, single woman from Ghana wanting tourist visa to visit family in the US would have low chance of approval. Ghana's approval rate for tourist visas is low and then add to that single female. 

To be honest I would have been surprised if she had been approved, it's sad but this is due to those in the past abusing tourist visas to stay in the US. 

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I've been there, so I understand her situation. I was refused a tourist visa twice before finally being granted one at the third try, and that was just two years ago. The consular officers were very stern and asked me very direct questions to which I replied with short answers. I reapplied for the second time after six months of the first and still no visa. For the third try, I waited a year and things did change in my life. See, the first two times, I was living by myself because of work (which I had started less than a year ago), I was single and young. The third time, I was living back with my family and, though I was still single, I had a more stable job and better salary. They gave me the visa after asking twice, "with whom do you live?" I know, it was odd, but the CO asked first about that, then asked about my job and what I had worked on the week before, and then came back and asked again, "with whom do you live?" The answer was the same one, the second time I think I had an annoyed tone because he was making me repeat myself and I felt the officer was playing with me. Then he kept my passport and gave me a letter with instructions to go retreive my passport with the visa on it. I believe my answers the last time were a bit more authentic in that they weren't rehearsed, I just didn't care that much anymore. The work question did take me a bit aback so I gave a quick reply in a technical language about what I had done the week before, and I think it made me sound authentic, as someone with my profession would speak to a colleague. So, it was't her answers, it was the CO who didn't see strong enough ties. During my second time, I even interjected without being asked by the CO and told her that I had with me all the paperwork should they need proof of anything. She replied, "no... none of that is necessary." Her mind was already made up and she then proceeded to refuse the visa. I would advise your relative to wait at least 8 months to a year, and hopefully keep her same job and show stronger ties.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
6 hours ago, Peekay134 said:

Thanks for the advise. But the CO did not even ask to see any of her documents. He only took her passport and application form.

Rule of thumb you don't wait to be asked you show it and say it.

How she answered has nothing to do with it. Is she a young, single woman. Oil company, working for the president of her country. A secretarial position is not a strong tie if given the opportunity to stay in the US.

What strong ties did she have on hand to show and convince the CO she is coming back. See that's the kicker. The CO wasn't convinced of that so rescheduling right away, why? Nothing has changed she is at the same job she paid for ticket and every question and answer is documented so changing does nothing for her but mess her up for future petitioning.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline
1 hour ago, dnyal said:

I've been there, so I understand her situation. I was refused a tourist visa twice before finally being granted one at the third try, and that was just two years ago. The consular officers were very stern and asked me very direct questions to which I replied with short answers. I reapplied for the second time after six months of the first and still no visa. For the third try, I waited a year and things did change in my life. See, the first two times, I was living by myself because of work (which I had started less than a year ago), I was single and young. The third time, I was living back with my family and, though I was still single, I had a more stable job and better salary. They gave me the visa after asking twice, "with whom do you live?" I know, it was odd, but the CO asked first about that, then asked about my job and what I had worked on the week before, and then came back and asked again, "with whom do you live?" The answer was the same one, the second time I think I had an annoyed tone because he was making me repeat myself and I felt the officer was playing with me. Then he kept my passport and gave me a letter with instructions to go retreive my passport with the visa on it. I believe my answers the last time were a bit more authentic in that they weren't rehearsed, I just didn't care that much anymore. The work question did take me a bit aback so I gave a quick reply in a technical language about what I had done the week before, and I think it made me sound authentic, as someone with my profession would speak to a colleague. So, it was't her answers, it was the CO who didn't see strong enough ties. During my second time, I even interjected without being asked by the CO and told her that I had with me all the paperwork should they need proof of anything. She replied, "no... none of that is necessary." Her mind was already made up and she then proceeded to refuse the visa. I would advise your relative to wait at least 8 months to a year, and hopefully keep her same job and show stronger ties.

Thanks alot for the elaborate advise on your experience

17 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

Rule of thumb you don't wait to be asked you show it and say it.

How she answered has nothing to do with it. Is she a young, single woman. Oil company, working for the president of her country. A secretarial position is not a strong tie if given the opportunity to stay in the US.

What strong ties did she have on hand to show and convince the CO she is coming back. See that's the kicker. The CO wasn't convinced of that so rescheduling right away, why? Nothing has changed she is at the same job she paid for ticket and every question and answer is documented so changing does nothing for her but mess her up for future petitioning.

Right. Thanks. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Illiria said:

This, single woman from Ghana wanting tourist visa to visit family in the US would have low chance of approval. Ghana's approval rate for tourist visas is low and then add to that single female. 

To be honest I would have been surprised if she had been approved, it's sad but this is due to those in the past abusing tourist visas to stay in the US. 

Yeah the refusal rate in Ghana is crazy!!. Anyway thanks for advise. She's young and single and I believe that contributed to the refusal

Timeline
2 hours ago, David & Zoila said:

Right. I am just seeking advice. And No I did not scold her. Was just wondering if close ended answers meant the CO had limited information to make the decision. Thanks for your advice

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Peekay134 said:

Thanks alot for the elaborate advise on your experience

Right. Thanks. 

Your welcome. And... If it is of any help, I now remember that by the third time I applied for the tourist visa, I had taken a few months before a couple of loans to refurnish my room (when coming to live back with my family, all my old room stuff was gone, lol) and remodel the house. So, I guess they see ALL. I am more than certain that, by the time you walk up to the window to speak to CO, they've already made up their minds with all the background check they run on you. A cousin of mine went with me when I applied for the visa the second time. We didn't go together; she had her own paperwork done and we had separate interviews that same morning; we weren't planning on traveling together anyway. It was her first time and she got approved right away, even though, in her case, they did ask her to show her license card to practice medicine (she is a doctor), and she told them, "oh... I forgot, sorry." She told me the CO laughed and kept her passport (because she was approved). So, as I was told, paper proof is irrelevant, though they do ask for it sometimes. And my cousin did have a mortgage on her name she had taken the year before, she had had a stable job for a few more years than I did, though she was single, lived with her mom (she was asked that) and made the same as I did (I'm also a doctor and we're actually the same age; we went to med school together and all). Like everyone else said, it comes to TIES to your home country.

13 hours ago, Peekay134 said:

How does she demonstrate strong ties when she was not asked to present her documents at the interview. THe CO only asked to see her passport and application form. And she did no lie about who is paying for the ticket. She is paying for the ticket herself and i will take care of accomodation .What I put in brackets is how i would have liked her to answer the question

It would not be advisable for her to apply so soon. Doesn't matter if she answered what you have put in the bracket, usually the officer sees everything on the DS-260, either they request documents or not. Usually documents is just a proof. Her salary is stated in the DS-260. I was rejected 2x as well. I have travel a lot, SE Asian Country and Australia, Europe and I got rejected with the officer not asking any documents from me. Even my friend, she got rejected and her travel history is even better than mine. Her salary is better. She got rejected. How the officer assess if we have strong ties to our country without looking at any documents, that is up to them. 

But, dont loose hope! Next time she can be more prepared and goes there to get the visa :)

IR1 / Nebraska Service Center

07/31/2014 : Married 

02/15/2017: Sent I-130 

02/22/2017: NOA1

03/30/2017: NOA2 YAYYYyyyyy  36 days after NOA1.. Blessed  

04/19/2017: Email from NVC

04/19/2017: DS-261 unlocked

04/21/2017: AOS paid

04/25/2017: IV paid

06/14/2017: Sent AOS Package

06/21/2017: Scan date

08/23/2017: Case Complete (9 weeks)

08/24/2017: Received automatic checklist via email from NVC to bring proof of domicile during interview. Still waiting for Interview Appointment.

08/30/2017: Received email from NVC telling that they will be schedule interview.

09/06/2017: Received email from NVC regarding Interview Date

10/25/2017: Interview Date

09/14/2017: Emailed US Embassy to cancel our interview and postpone as wife is pregnant. USEM mentioned to contact them 3 weeks prior to intended date of appointment. 

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Happyfamily03 said:

It would not be advisable for her to apply so soon. Doesn't matter if she answered what you have put in the bracket, usually the officer sees everything on the DS-260, either they request documents or not. Usually documents is just a proof. Her salary is stated in the DS-260. I was rejected 2x as well. I have travel a lot, SE Asian Country and Australia, Europe and I got rejected with the officer not asking any documents from me. Even my friend, she got rejected and her travel history is even better than mine. Her salary is better. She got rejected. How the officer assess if we have strong ties to our country without looking at any documents, that is up to them. 

But, dont loose hope! Next time she can be more prepared and goes there to get the visa :)

Thanks

Timeline
3 hours ago, dnyal said:

Your welcome. And... If it is of any help, I now remember that by the third time I applied for the tourist visa, I had taken a few months before a couple of loans to refurnish my room (when coming to live back with my family, all my old room stuff was gone, lol) and remodel the house. So, I guess they see ALL. I am more than certain that, by the time you walk up to the window to speak to CO, they've already made up their minds with all the background check they run on you. A cousin of mine went with me when I applied for the visa the second time. We didn't go together; she had her own paperwork done and we had separate interviews that same morning; we weren't planning on traveling together anyway. It was her first time and she got approved right away, even though, in her case, they did ask her to show her license card to practice medicine (she is a doctor), and she told them, "oh... I forgot, sorry." She told me the CO laughed and kept her passport (because she was approved). So, as I was told, paper proof is irrelevant, though they do ask for it sometimes. And my cousin did have a mortgage on her name she had taken the year before, she had had a stable job for a few more years than I did, though she was single, lived with her mom (she was asked that) and made the same as I did (I'm also a doctor and we're actually the same age; we went to med school together and all). Like everyone else said, it comes to TIES to your home country.

Thanks once again. Points well taken!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.