abum

Re-entry permit questions (I-131)

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi all.

Some questions that I have on filing re-entry permit I 131.

I am applying for re-entry permits for me and my child, to be delivered to the embassy in my home country.

1. Fees: should i provide 2 separate checks for the permit itself + biometric or should i combine them on a single check?  ($575 & $85 OR $660?)

2. On USCIS website, it states that child below 14 need not pay for biometrics - does this mean if i apply for my 4 year old, he WILL NOT GET the biometric appointment  and that is the end of his I-131 application (meaning once i submit his application, and get a notification of receipt from USCIS, my child can just travel back to our home country (where as i have to wait for the biometric appointment)?

https://www.uscis.gov/i-131

3. When entering USA at POE, can the permit be used in lieu of a physical Green Card, especially if the card is missing and the entry is after 1 year of absence, before the expiry of the reentry permit?  Or do i need to show a valid I-551 stamp on my passport?

4. Can a re-entry permit be used as an evidence of Permanent resident status? (reason is this - if i lack funds now to apply for my missing GC as well as re-entry permit at the same time - can i just apply for re-entry permit, and then in my next journey to the USA - which i hope would be permanent one - i apply for a replacement GC?)

5. If i apply for both Green Card replacement I-90 as well as re-entry permit, and both require biometrics reading, can i do both of them at the same time? If yes, how?

6. Just double checking, (i did read the guide on filling I 131) - for my child's form, PART 8, i should sign at the box where it says SIGNATURE OF APPLICANT as well as in PART 9 , SIGNATURE OF PREPARER. Correct?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2017 at 0:40 PM, abumiqdad said:

Hi all.

Some questions that I have on filing re-entry permit I 131.

I am applying for re-entry permits for me and my child, to be delivered to the embassy in my home country.

1. Fees: should i provide 2 separate checks for the permit itself + biometric or should i combine them on a single check?  ($575 & $85 OR $660?)

2. On USCIS website, it states that child below 14 need not pay for biometrics - does this mean if i apply for my 4 year old, he WILL NOT GET the biometric appointment  and that is the end of his I-131 application (meaning once i submit his application, and get a notification of receipt from USCIS, my child can just travel back to our home country (where as i have to wait for the biometric appointment)?

https://www.uscis.gov/i-131

3. When entering USA at POE, can the permit be used in lieu of a physical Green Card, especially if the card is missing and the entry is after 1 year of absence, before the expiry of the reentry permit?  Or do i need to show a valid I-551 stamp on my passport?

4. Can a re-entry permit be used as an evidence of Permanent resident status? (reason is this - if i lack funds now to apply for my missing GC as well as re-entry permit at the same time - can i just apply for re-entry permit, and then in my next journey to the USA - which i hope would be permanent one - i apply for a replacement GC?)

5. If i apply for both Green Card replacement I-90 as well as re-entry permit, and both require biometrics reading, can i do both of them at the same time? If yes, how?

6. Just double checking, (i did read the guide on filling I 131) - for my child's form, PART 8, i should sign at the box where it says SIGNATURE OF APPLICANT as well as in PART 9 , SIGNATURE OF PREPARER. Correct?

Thank you.

Just to update: 
1. i combined the amount in a single check for each application - so we shall see.
2. Based on a call with USCIS, i need to bring my child along
3. USCIS said YES to this.
4. From my understanding, Yes, only at PoE.

5. not sure about this, from my readings, i can postpone the first one and wait till the second one. 
6. I signed i myself.

• 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, miami44 said:

Any updates on your apps?

i already got the re-entry permit , 2.5 months after biometric, and around 4-5 months (after biometric) at the embassy of my choice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.