Hollywud52

Potential Problem with NVC

1 post in this topic

I am a US citizen who has posted before. I signed a marriage contract with a Jordanian national in Sharia court. What I did not do is, I did not consummate the marriage, I did not present the marriage contract to the US Embassy in Jordan while I was there, and I never recorded it at the court in my state in which I live. He told me his cousin would take our contract to all appropriate places to be stamped so we both left (he lives in Dubai) to return to our jobs because we were out of time and I got my copies of the marriage contract in the mail about 3 weeks later. When things starting falling apart I cancelled his immigrant spouse visa and started looking at how to "divorce" him. Which I when I realized the contract had not been presented to the US Embassy for verification. I understand NOW that we would have had to go in person, they would have wanted to confirm with me, the US citizen, that it was real. So, I followed the chain of information to try to determine if it was even legal here. US travel state site says if it is legally performed it is legal however, validity of marriage is determined by the Office of the Attorney General for the state you live in. I called the office in SC, they said they let the local court determine. Called the court, they said they don't know, ask a lawyer, consulted with a family law attorney, she said ask an immigration lawyer. Just for fun I asked 2 immigration lawyers (not fun) they both said oh its 'not legal. Wonderful. But they don't give a letter actually saying that. So. I met with an Imam who is a scholar in Islam (Mufti) who granted me an Islamic annulment of the marriage based on no consummation and being apart for a year. I have a letter from him granting annulment. USCIS no longer has a file on me so I'm good with them, however NVC has me in their system as married because I sent in a copy of this marriage contract with my paperwork. If I chose to marry another foreign national (not saying I will) I don't want an issue with NVC. The guy I talked to at NVC says I should try to get a divorce certificate from the issuing authority, which is Sharia Court in Amman Jordan. I can't afford a trip to Jordan, any ideas on how I could accomplish this? I don't believe my "husband" would be willing to give ME a divorce as he is still trying to keep a relationship of some type with me. Not only that, if HE files then he may be expected to pay the deferred dowry (mahr) even though I don't want it. I just want this nightmare to be over. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.