Guacamole

Filed I-129F, no news for 2+ weeks.

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hello everyone.

My fiance posted the I-129F package on 20 August 2017 through USPS without any tracking services (yes I know it's frustrating, I don't know why either), so we don't know where our package is.

So far, his cheque hasn't been cashed or anything either and we've received no NOA1.

1. How likely is it that the package has been lost?

2. Should we refile now or wait to refile?

It's frankly just really annoying not knowing where it is and even if he called I don't know how they would even manage to try and look for it. 

Advice appreciated.

Thank you.

I-129F Filed: 11 October 2017

I-129F NOA1: 16 October 2017

I-129F NOA2: 21 April 2018 

NVC Received: 14 May 2018 

Case Number Assigned: 16 May 2018

NVC Left: 18 May 2018

Embassy Received: 21 May 2018

Packet 3 Received: 24 May 2018

Medical: 30 May 2018

Packet 4 Received: 21 June 2018

Interview Date: 10 July 2018 (Approved)

Visa on Hand: 21 July 2018

Port of Entry: Seattle, 12 August 2018

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
10 minutes ago, D&S24 said:

Hello everyone.

My fiance posted the I-129F package on 20 August 2017 through USPS without any tracking services (yes I know it's frustrating, I don't know why either), so we don't know where our package is.

So far, his cheque hasn't been cashed or anything either and we've received no NOA1.

1. How likely is it that the package has been lost?

2. Should we refile now or wait to refile?

It's frankly just really annoying not knowing where it is and even if he called I don't know how they would even manage to try and look for it. 

Advice appreciated.

Thank you.

Give it about another week or so.  Sometimes the mail system can be slow.  Things with the hurricane could have also slowed things down.

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

When you send in subsequent sets of paperwork to USCIS after the K-1 stage, best to pay for signature require option if you are mailing with USPS or use an express courier service which is always trackable. That would give you the peace of mind.

1. It may or may not be lost. Some people don't receive their NOA1 for a few weeks and that's not something uncommon albeit it doesn't seem to happen much. Also, with the current weather condition, there might be postal delay and you never know what's going on at the processing mailroom because they might be understaffed or have an influx of incoming petitions so they are bogged down.
  2. Don't re-file yet. Wait a little bit. The whole immigration process from the I-129F to N-400 requires A LOT of patience. Just make sure to cancel the first check before re-filing so that USCIS won't take two payments out of his account (first missing petition's check + subsequent re-filed petition's check).

For now, hang tight :) Get your fiance to sign up for USPS Informed Delivery. He'll get a scan of his letter sized mails on a daily basis via e-mail and he'll be able to tell if a USCIS or NVC letter is coming his way.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As other's have stated do NOT refile yet. You will then have 2 petitions which will be a headache for sure.

There is actually tracking service if you sent it at least 1st class mail. Not sure why anyone would send such an important document with payment  inside without at least doing 1st class mail.

Anyway if you have your receipt you will see there is in fact a tracking number on the USPS receipt which you did not have to request and did not have to pay extra for.

You can input the tracking number at https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input

Timeline
On 07/09/2017 at 9:15 AM, KULtoATL said:

When you send in subsequent sets of paperwork to USCIS after the K-1 stage, best to pay for signature require option if you are mailing with USPS or use an express courier service which is always trackable. That would give you the peace of mind.

1. It may or may not be lost. Some people don't receive their NOA1 for a few weeks and that's not something uncommon albeit it doesn't seem to happen much. Also, with the current weather condition, there might be postal delay and you never know what's going on at the processing mailroom because they might be understaffed or have an influx of incoming petitions so they are bogged down.
  2. Don't re-file yet. Wait a little bit. The whole immigration process from the I-129F to N-400 requires A LOT of patience. Just make sure to cancel the first check before re-filing so that USCIS won't take two payments out of his account (first missing petition's check + subsequent re-filed petition's check).

For now, hang tight :) Get your fiance to sign up for USPS Informed Delivery. He'll get a scan of his letter sized mails on a daily basis via e-mail and he'll be able to tell if a USCIS or NVC letter is coming his way.

Thank you for the detailed response.

Don't worry, I've already reprimanded him on not using delivery receipts/couriers, haha. I'm sure he'll definitely remember for next time!

As of now, he's filed a lost parcel claim with USPS so we will see if they manage to find the package somehow. He's signed up for Informed Delivery too.

And yeah we were planning to refile in maybe 2 more weeks if we still get nothing from either USPS or USCIS, hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

Fingers crossed for now I suppose!

Timeline
On 07/09/2017 at 11:04 AM, LabOz said:

As other's have stated do NOT refile yet. You will then have 2 petitions which will be a headache for sure.

There is actually tracking service if you sent it at least 1st class mail. Not sure why anyone would send such an important document with payment  inside without at least doing 1st class mail.

Anyway if you have your receipt you will see there is in fact a tracking number on the USPS receipt which you did not have to request and did not have to pay extra for.

You can input the tracking number at https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input

Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with USPS to know how he mailed it out and he's already thrown the receipt away (whyyyy?) So I guess all we can do now is wait for a response from USPS on the lost package claim.

Thanks for responding though.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, D&S24 said:

Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with USPS to know how he mailed it out and he's already thrown the receipt away (whyyyy?) So I guess all we can do now is wait for a response from USPS on the lost package claim.

Thanks for responding though.

Hmmm...he needs to be more attentive to detail if doing this process without a lawyer. I would suggest he have a friend or family member look over the instructions and review all the forms to insure everything is included and correct otherwise he may have issues later on which result in a delay of processing for RFE or request for additional evidence. Getting the package mailed to USCIS is the easy part.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kazakhstan
Timeline

Hello!

We sent documents for a K1 visa from Moscow, June 28, 2017.
We did not have the track number ... silly
After 4 weeks, we began to look for, call the post office, in the USCIS ... found in the USCIS TEXAS
We are waiting more ... 2 weeks.
Money does not withdraw, NOA 1 does not come.
We call in Texas
We were told they could not withdraw money.
10 days ago, a new check was sent.
Waiting for NOA 1
Because of the hurricane and the holiday, all the longer.
Total waiting 2.5 months NOA 1 from the time of departure petition from Moscow.

At first I was also angry that my fiance did not take the track number. But then I was pleased. He does not send petitions every day, he can be mistaken:oops:

P.S. WE learn from their mistakes. I do not need a lawyer. As practice shows, this is an additional loss of time and money. And mistakes sometimes are more with lawyer.

Let him call the post office and look, in USCIS, in a week. Since the timing is now increasing due to natural problems.

I'm satisfied)) All will be. :goofy:

Ни головы ни ножек

27 June 2017               i-129f sent from Moscow
14 July 2017                Texas Service Center

14 September 2017    California Service Center
21 September 2017    NOA1 Received Date
25 September 2017    NOA1 email/text confirmation

01 October 2017          NOA1 hardcopy

Timeline
On 9/8/2017 at 4:07 PM, Ёжик said:

Hello!

We sent documents for a K1 visa from Moscow, June 28, 2017.
We did not have the track number ... silly
After 4 weeks, we began to look for, call the post office, in the USCIS ... found in the USCIS TEXAS
We are waiting more ... 2 weeks.
Money does not withdraw, NOA 1 does not come.
We call in Texas
We were told they could not withdraw money.
10 days ago, a new check was sent.
Waiting for NOA 1
Because of the hurricane and the holiday, all the longer.
Total waiting 2.5 months NOA 1 from the time of departure petition from Moscow.

At first I was also angry that my fiance did not take the track number. But then I was pleased. He does not send petitions every day, he can be mistaken:oops:

P.S. WE learn from their mistakes. I do not need a lawyer. As practice shows, this is an additional loss of time and money. And mistakes sometimes are more with lawyer.

Let him call the post office and look, in USCIS, in a week. Since the timing is now increasing due to natural problems.

I'm satisfied)) All will be. :goofy:

Hi! 

Thank you for sharing your story!

Initially I was slightly annoyed at him, yes, because yeah, it is an important document and it's what we need to get the process started, but he was also working 12 hour shifts every day while also compiling these things, with me nagging at him endlessly to send it!

I'm not mad at him, really, if it's lost then it's lost, I've already sent him extra documents/passport pictures to prepare to refile if we need to.

We make mistakes and we move on, it'll all be something silly we laugh at in future.

For now all we can do is be patient and wait for a response from USPS, and if that comes back negatively we know what to do for the next package we send. :)

All the best for your K-1 application! :D

And you're right, everything will be great!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.