kaze

DS-160 & Affidavit of Support I-134

3 posts in this topic

Timeline

My Fiance's paperwork is at the Consulate in Hong Kong and she needs to file the DS-160 before she is called for the interview correct? She received the checklist from the consulate in hk, but we would just like to be sure.

Also regarding my Affidavit of Support, IF you meet the minimum for support regarding the federal poverty guidelines. Are you not allowed to have a co-sponsor correct? A cosponsor is only if you do not meet it?

Regarding the poverty guidelines, I can meet it if my current job + assets (stocks/bonds) are over the minimum for a 2 person household roughly $20,025 right then I can just file for myself say if all combined assets, for example, is around $30,000?

I got the Federal Poverty Guidelines from here https://www.***removed***/affidavit-of-support/i-864p-poverty-guidelines.html

Thanks!

Refer to this updated poverty guideline: https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p. If your 2017's expected annual income could meet the poverty guideline for your household size, you can use your income alone and do not need to seek for a co-sponsor. However, if your income alone is insufficient and you need to use your assets to cover the shortfall, my personal advice is to look for a co-sponsor instead of using your assets. Some embassies don't accept assets and better to find a co-sponsor now to avoid any unnecessary delay with the visa issuance (due to having to find one last minute).

This appears to be the HK's K-1 instructions: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/hk/K1 Visa Instructions 16June2017.pdf. She can try to e-mail the consulate to check if she could already proceed based on those instructions. If they say no, she might have to wait for the formal Packet 3 sent by the consulate, could be a soft copy via e-mail or it could be regular paper mail, I have no idea :jest: Regardless, she'll need to gather all the required documents and then send the consulate the certificate of readiness before the consulate would schedule her appointment and then send her instructions on medical appointment.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Hello Kaze, can you tell me about your experience setting up the interview in HK? My fiancee is working in HK now and her paperwork will be arriving at the HK embassy soon. According to the K1 instructions pdf, you send the DS160 confirmation, checklist and form DS2001-HK to the embassy once you have collected all required documents and they will assign an interview date. Were you able to choose a date that was convenient to your fiancee? Mine is still working under contract and although the employer is willing to be flexible, the employer has a child whom she cares for and another on the way. Her employer also travels so some planning will be necessary. Any thoughts from your experience would be helpful.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.