RoseOnTheMoon

Anything missing before applying Form I-130/CR-1?

12 posts in this topic

Hello!

Here are a few questions for people who are currently walking in the same shoes as I am/ or been there recently...

Me and my hubby are going to apply for the CR-1 Spouse Visa very soon.

All we need to do is to sign and send the;

- Form I-130 (my hubby has to fill this, cause he's the U.S. citizen)

- Form I-130A (I, the alien immigrant, has to sign this)

- Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application)

But also send;

- Marriage certificate

- Birth of certificate/ a copy of the U.S passport (for him)

- Photocopies of both of us

- Pay the fee (535USD)

Is there something I've missed?

And do we have to send the copies of I-864 (Affidavit of Support) at the same times as the forms above?

And do I have to send a copy of Form-94 (Legal visitor status in the U.S.)

I'm a Swedish citizen. Any help would be much appriciated! Thank you in advance and have a wonderful evening

I-864, Affidavit of Support 

33 minutes ago, RoseOnTheMoon said:

Hello!

Here are a few questions for people who are currently walking in the same shoes as I am/ or been there recently...

But also send;

- Marriage certificate

- Pay the fee (535USD)

And do we have to send the copies of I-864 (Affidavit of Support) at the same times as the forms above?

I'm a Swedish citizen. Any help would be much appriciated! Thank you in advance and have a wonderful evening

Make sure you get passport photos of the both of you and not photocopies of your faces :D

Evidence of a bonafide marriage is very important

I-864 is at the NVC stage

not sure about the other form

18 minutes ago, MrHanky said:

Make sure you get passport photos of the both of you and not photocopies of your faces :D

Evidence of a bonafide marriage is very important

I-864 is at the NVC stage

not sure about the other form

Oh! Thank you Sir! Your help is much valued :)

On Wednesday, September 06, 2017 at 9:52 PM, RoseOnTheMoon said:

Hello!

But also send;

- Marriage certificate

- Pay the fee (535USD)

Pictures before,during&after your wedding,plane tickets&passport stamps,hotel receipts,engagement&wedding rings receipts(if you have them),beneficiary's BC,sworn affidavit of change of name,newspaper publication of name of name,affidavits  of bona fide marriage/relationship from you(beneficiary),the petitioner&2- 3 third parties that attended the wedding(relatives) also tell your husband to make you a beneficiary in his life insurance 

3 hours ago, Abies said:

Pictures before,during&after your wedding,plane tickets&passport stamps,hotel receipts,engagement&wedding rings receipts(if you have them),beneficiary's BC,sworn affidavit of change of name,newspaper publication of name of name,affidavits  of bona fide marriage/relationship from you(beneficiary),the petitioner&2- 3 third parties that attended the wedding(relatives) also tell your husband to make you a beneficiary in his life insurance 

OP, the beneficiary's birth certificate is not required, name change affidavits are worthless since a name change is one's own personal choice, and third party affidavits carry little to zero weight in the overall evaluation of a file.

It's also important to note that far less scrutiny is given to relationship evidence for intending immigrants from Sweden than Nigeria.  Affidavits from third parties, tend to hurt more than help but there are exceptions.  They tend to be a last resort for people with little other evidence, and THEN they make you look desperate.

11 hours ago, Ryan H said:

OP, the beneficiary's birth certificate is not required, name change affidavits are worthless since a name change is one's own personal choice, and third party affidavits carry little to zero weight in the overall evaluation of a file.

The post you quoted was quite unclear with regard to a number of things but name change affidavits were not mentioned.  However, I take it that since the OP is the foreigner and referred to "him" as the other party, that "she" may have been married before and changed her name.  Whether that is the case for this couple or not, evidence of name changes IS important.  For example a birth certificate for Jane Smith, who married and became Jane Jones, then divorced Mr. Jones and is now married to Mr. Davis, could have a problem demonstrating she is the Jane Smith on the birth certificate submitted.  She would submit a divorce decree regarding divorcing Mr. Jones but that document may not mention her maiden name, "Smith".  In those cases, one would document the name change by also submitting a marriage certificate documenting it was Jane Smith who married Mr. Jones.

Somebody who otherwise legally changes their name unrelated to marriage, would submit the legal documents associated with the name change.

On 2017-09-08 at 7:01 PM, Abies said:

Thank you! We have most of the things that you listed. Sworn affidavit of change of name?

Why does my husband have to make me a beneficiary in his life insurance? 

On 2017-09-08 at 10:49 PM, Ryan H said:

Oh, I see! Thank you so much!

On 2017-09-09 at 10:33 AM, pushbrk said:

The post you quoted was quite unclear with regard to a number of things but name change affidavits were not mentioned.  However, I take it that since the OP is the foreigner and referred to "him" as the other party, that "she" may have been married before and changed her name.  Whether that is the case for this couple or not, evidence of name changes IS important.  For example a birth certificate for Jane Smith, who married and became Jane Jones, then divorced Mr. Jones and is now married to Mr. Davis, could have a problem demonstrating she is the Jane Smith on the birth certificate submitted.  She would submit a divorce decree regarding divorcing Mr. Jones but that document may not mention her maiden name, "Smith".  In those cases, one would document the name change by also submitting a marriage certificate documenting it was Jane Smith who married Mr. Jones.

Somebody who otherwise legally changes their name unrelated to marriage, would submit the legal documents associated with the name change.

Yes, I am the foreigner. (Swedish) My husband is the U.S. citizen. None of us have been married before. I don't think it will affect neither one of us. 

One question though, should we send the form I-864, Affidavit of Support with the form I-130 too? Or do we have to wait until they have confirmed the I-130 and then send in the I-864?

2 hours ago, RoseOnTheMoon said:

Thank you! We have most of the things that you listed. Sworn affidavit of change of name?

Why does my husband have to make me a beneficiary in his life insurance? 

Oh, I see! Thank you so much!

If there's been a change of name there should be some legal documents around it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.