Jump to content

Wife here on tourist visa, we decided to marry earlier due to surprise pregnancy

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone and thanks in advance for the help and apologies if Im not providing enough information, presenting the question improperly or in the wrong forum. I am an American citizen by birth and my wife is Canadian.


You can see my original post here : K1 VISA, now Pregnant can we get Married Prior to Approval


My now Wife and I were going to file for a K1 Visa when she arrived here, shortly after we arrived here we had a happy surprise and found out she was pregnant and decided to marry earlier then originally intended.  Now she is currently in the country legally however her tourist visa will expire in a few days.  Im assuming we need to file for adjustment of status and the steps for a K3?  She is due in October so traveling is a no go at this time!  Sorry between the wedding, a death in family, and baby preparations its all been a whirlwind and trying to get everything sorted.


Please and thank you for the help!





Edited by kevlar
add info

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

She can stay and file for AOS: I-485 + I-131 (AP to travel abroad) + I-765 (EAD to work). While her AOS is pending,she is granted authorized stay in the US. She cannot leave the US without abandoning her AOS application until AP is approved or the green card is granted. She cannot work until the EAD is approved.



AOS: ~4-12 months (varies by office)

EAD: ~4 months

AP: ~4 months


K-3 is obsolete and almost never granted nowadays.




Edit: The alternative is to file for a CR-1 visa (ETA: ~12-14 months). She can continue to visit during this period.

Edited by geowrian

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

@geowrian is absolutely correct.  Since she did not enter with the intent to stay and adjust, and life events changed your path, you can file for the adjustment and she can stay here during that process legally.  If for some reason she is not ready to stay at this point for whatever reason, then if she leaves you have to apply for the CR1.


The big hurdle is getting the AOS files ASAP if that is the path you choose so she does not incur too much overstay from her tourist visa.  Most people can do this in a week or so,but she may need to do a medical exam (I693).


Congrats on the marriage and baby and Good Luck!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with above, she can 'just' adjust status. Make sure she is able to get a good health insurance though until she can get one on her own once she has a 'real' immigration status

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.