jackieson

Two questions regarding K-1 Petitions.

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi there.  I wanted to do the Fiance Visa with someone I recently met in Vietnam.  I started speaking with her at the beginning of this year and met her in May.  Since then, she and I fell in love.  However, I am stuck on whether I should start the process or delay it.  I have two main concerns:

1.  My income:  I worked up until May before I quit and left to Vietnam to meet her.  After 5 weeks there, I returned unemployed from July until now.  I recently got hired on about 2 weeks ago and will be making $15-17 hourly at 40+ hours a week with plenty of available overtime if I choose (pay differentiates due to the time I work normal or graveyard hours, but will be working graveyard.)  I also will be starting a second full-time job at $13.25 hourly in October.  Will my income be problematic?  I previously had about $12,000 in income for 2015 and 2016, but since I have met her, I made the change to work much harder than ever.

2.  I have read that we are required have an engagement party and change our Facebook status to being engaged with each other.  However, we both wanted to keep this marriage a secret until we are officially married and will be returning to Vietnam to do an actual wedding when we have enough to make one.  Will this also be problematic?

Please let me know.  I really appreciate any feedback from this.

Read the K-1 guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide.

Read the USCIS I-129F instructions sheet: https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f.

Current filing fee is $535. Payment check or money order must be from a US based institution.

G-325A is no longer required.

Always download the latest forms from USCIS website: https://www.uscis.gov/forms. Pay attention to the edition date and make sure it is an accepted edition at the point of your filing. If there is a new edition form, ALWAYS use the new edition form and don't try to revert to the old edition because it might get rejected and returned to you, which would add more time to your process.

To answer your original questions:

1) Please refer to the poverty guideline https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p to check what's the minimum amount that you'll need to cover your househould size. If you cannot meet the minimum required income for your household size, you'll need to look for a joint sponsor. The joint sponsor's income must be able to cover him/herself + his/her dependents + your foreign fiancee. Also, your joint sponsor must be a US citizen or US legal permanent resident.

2) Engagement party and changing FB status are not required. The most important thing is that you have met in person within the last 2 years preceding the filing date and that you could prove a bonafide relationship. FYI, an engagement ring is also not required to enable you to file a I-129F. However, both of you must have the intent to marry each other and will be required to submit letters of intent to marry along with the I-129F form and other supporting documents plus evidences. If you really want to petition your foreign beneficiary, DO NOT try to hide your relationship from both parties' family and friends. USCIS adjudicator and consular officer might suspect your relationship is not real and that's why you're trying to conceal it. You know, kinda like one's trying to hide an illegitimate child?

Edited by KULtoATL

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

1. https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-864p.pdf

2. Not required at all.  However, keeping it a secret from family and friends could backfire at interview time.  It may look to IO that this secret means its not a real relationship.  Most couples are happy and excited to share this news with others.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thank you for your replies. Only a select few of our friends and family knows, but only on my Facebook I displayed it for my friends to see. Would that be okay?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.