Damilolly

Obtaining A Social Security Number.

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

How does one obtain a SSN please?

I recieved my GC early this year and going back to the US for a week in a couple of months ie before the 1year mark. Any advice for how to do this without much hassle?

I'll also like to apply for my SSN although I don't plan to move until middle of next year.

Is it possible to apply from outside the US or best I apply in person when I get there?

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Damilolly said:

Hi all,

I recieved my GC early this year and going back to the US for a week in a couple of months ie before the 1year mark. Any advice for how to do this without much hassle?

I'll also like to apply for my SSN although I don't plan to move until middle of next year.

Is it possible to apply from outside the US or best I apply in person when I get there?

Thanks.

You have to go to a social security office and apply to get one. Follow the steps on their website and bring the documents needed to prove your identity. 

So you have not been in the country at all this year, and your coming back for only one week? Where will they send the card to a US or UK address? If you are living outside the USA then why did you apply for green card and under what visa did you get it? Did you know if you spend more time outside the US for a year then they can revoke your greencard?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

You have to go to a social security office and apply to get one. Follow the steps on their website and bring the documents needed to prove your identity. 

So you have not been in the country at all this year, and your coming back for only one week? Where will they send the card to a US or UK address? If you are living outside the USA then why did you apply for green card and under what visa did you get it? Did you know if you spend more time outside the US for a year then they can revoke your greencard?

So a SSN can only be applied for in person in the US?

I returned in January and will go again in Dec, return in Jan then finally mid of next year.

The card will be sent to a US addy. I applied for GC cos I want to live in the US, my dad is a USC. I'm returning within a year. My understanding is if you stay out for over 12months 2ce then it'll be revoked. 

6 minutes ago, Damilolly said:

So a SSN can only be applied for in person in the US?

I returned in January and will go again in Dec, return in Jan then finally mid of next year.

The card will be sent to a US addy. I applied for GC cos I want to live in the US, my dad is a USC. I'm returning within a year. My understanding is if you stay out for over 12months 2ce then it'll be revoked. 

You'll need to prove you have ties here in the US or they will revoke it. 

Open bank/credit accounts, things like that will need to be shown. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, BenjaminKeating said:

You'll need to prove you have ties here in the US or they will revoke it. 

Open bank/credit accounts, things like that will need to be shown. 

You mean on my impending entry in Dec even tough it's within a year and my GC isn't even a year old?

There is no hard and fast rule. If they think you're not living permanently in the US as a permanent resident then they will take steps to revoke your card. Hopefully when you enter you won't get any trouble, but be prepared.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

41 minutes ago, Damilolly said:

You mean on my impending entry in Dec even tough it's within a year and my GC isn't even a year old?

As above, if they think/have evidence or reason to believe you're not permanently residing in the US as a permanent resident then yes they can take steps to revoke your green card.

Permanent Residence isn't something you can just use to come back and forth as you wish (not saying that's what you're doing I'm just generalizing).

If you're granted a green card as a permanent resident then the US should quite literally be your permanent residence.

Timeline

Thanks everyone.

Back to my original question supposing my GC isn't revoked. 

I'm wondering how long I need to be in the country for so if it's best to wait till mid next year when I move finally.

Is it possible to apply from outside the US or best I apply in person when I get there? Is it one face to face meeting or I'll have to go for multiple meetings?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Damilolly said:

Thanks everyone.

Back to my original question supposing my GC isn't revoked. 

I'm wondering how long I need to be in the country for so if it's best to wait till mid next year when I move finally.

Is it possible to apply from outside the US or best I apply in person when I get there? Is it one face to face meeting or I'll have to go for multiple meetings?

Thanks.

You go to your local SS office and apply in person.

You take a ticket number when you walk in, fill out a form, go to a counter and hand it over, sign a couple of documents and there you go.

You'll get it in the mail a week or two later. 

Timeline
On 9/6/2017 at 4:38 PM, BenjaminKeating said:

You go to your local SS office and apply in person.

You take a ticket number when you walk in, fill out a form, go to a counter and hand it over, sign a couple of documents and there you go.

You'll get it in the mail a week or two later. 

Thank you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.