Jacque67

Utah hospital bars cops from contact with nurses after appalling attack

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
10 hours ago, Mr&Mrs G. said:

The guy who wrote that piece is an idiot.

The guy who they were looking to draw blood from was a reserve police officer from Idaho, he was doing is other job driving a truck when he was hit head on by a car that was involved in a high speed chase. If you look at the full length 19 minute video you will see a uniformed officer ask the phlebotomist what the name of the driver of the truck was and he is told that it is in a box in the trunk of his car. The officer retrieves a piece of paper with the drivers name and then enters it into the computer in his police cruiser. At this point the officer would have found out that the driver was in fact a police officer from Idaho and he goes and whispers in the detectives ear, the video then ends. I reckon they knew they were in trouble at that point and had got it all wrong.

After she was placed in the cruiser another officer informed her that even if they were breaking the law drawing the blood there was a process in place to deal with it later. I think this is the second officer who was suspended.

She was looking after her patient, fair play to her :thumbs:

Daily Caller is rife with idiocy, don't blame the writer for pandering to his customer. 

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

3 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

If the blood draw was legal without consent and the nurse interfered, I believe that could have been grounds for an arrest. I have worked in ER's in states where forcible extraction was legal (prior to the SCOTUS ruling) and law enforcement could arrest people who interfered. 

I don't see how anyone could conclude the nurse interfered. At the worst she declined to participate. Even if what she did justified arrest it certainly didn't justify the way the officer executed the arrest. Like I said before even if the officer was justified in everything he did he should have consulted with his supervisor before arresting a nurse like that. 

3 hours ago, charmander said:

The detective is an idiot for not knowing the standard procedure but what appalled me was the indifference of at least two other police officers witnessing the event. One officer is the one carrying the body camera shooting the video, then there is at least one more police officer that comes in the scene when the detective starts dragging her out. There is one more guy with a badge standing by the exit door (not sure if he is a police officer or hospital security) but he is also there doing nothing.

Whoever was in the scene and did nothing about it should also be disciplined.

Agreed.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

24 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

I don't see how anyone could conclude the nurse interfered. At the worst she declined to participate. Even if what she did justified arrest it certainly didn't justify the way the officer executed the arrest. Like I said before even if the officer was justified in everything he did he should have consulted with his supervisor before arresting a nurse like that. 

I don't think she did interfere. I'm just saying if it was legal for him to draw the blood, the nurse would then have to get out of the way. In this case they needed a warrant to do that. The officer was wrong. The nurse knew what her responsibility was and what the officers was, and the officer seemed unclear on both.  He is 100% at fault on that.

As far as the way he went about it, I think that was wrong too, but I have seen officers act that way on several occasions. I don't think that means he's a bad cop; I've seen good cops have bad days. It does make him wrong again though, compounding the fact that everything he had done up until that point was already a mistake.

Personally I would have informed the officer as the nurse did. If he then proceeded to collect the blood, I would have let him as long as the patient was not at any medical risk. If this was actually a DUI case, it would not have held up in court anyway. The most idiotic part of all is that the guy he wanted to get blood from was the victim, not the suspect.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
1 hour ago, IDWAF said:

Probably only to be hired back by a flyover state police department..

5 hours ago, charmander said:

Probably only to be hired back by a flyover state police department..

Utah is a flyover state , I thought bad p.o. p.o. was in big Democrat cities like St. Louis , LA,  etc 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
1 hour ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

Utah is a flyover state , I thought bad p.o. p.o. was in big Democrat cities like St. Louis , LA,  etc 

Calling Utah a flyover state would offend two groups of people; skiers and genealogy enthusiasts.