Jump to content

15 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My marriage was in good faith but things started going bad as soon as I came here:wacko:, what do I mean with this is, my husband wouldn't let me talk to my family for weeks when he first brought me here, I had to argue my point with him so I could call and let my mom know that I was ok.

I came with a fiancé visa, we got married within the 90 :)days and things were fine we had our differences sometimes but we made it work, then I got my work permit and my 2 years GC and he wouldn't let me work or get a SS, he was in debt :(and money was a big deal and he blamed me on everything and I wanted to help.  I felt in prison again:wacko:, he wouldn't allow me I couldn't leave the house, the story is long, so let me get to the point. 

I am a ten years permanent resident since 20011 and I separate from my husband when I got the (CR89) conditions removed, I got my GC in the mail a day after I left and my ex was told that he had to give it to me by law.

 

#3months later in 2014 I found out I was expecting a baby girl with everything I was going trough, I wasn't expecting that to happen at the end she was the reason why he sign the divorce because he wasn't going to otherwise. then the divorce and the whole process finalized in January 2015. now is 2017 and I'm trying to get citizenship but because everything that happened above I don't know how they going to look at my file.

 

resumen 

resident since 2011

conditions removed accepted

feb 2014 I got separated 

feb 2014 I got 10 years GC 

2014 filed for divorce

may 2014 got pregnant of different man

child born 2015

divorce final 2015

looking into for citizenship in 2017

 

I don't know if I can apply for citizenship, I don't know if they gonna think that I was with him only for the PR and I don't know whats going to happen after I take a step forward I don't know if I should wait longer or just do it.

if anybody have anything positive to say about my case or if you went though the same I would like to know what was your experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hellokity said:

My marriage was in good faith but things started going bad as soon as I came here:wacko:, what do I mean with this is, my husband wouldn't let me talk to my family for weeks when he first brought me here, I had to argue my point with him so I could call and let my mom know that I was ok.

I came with a fiancé visa, we got married within the 90 :)days and things were fine we had our differences sometimes but we made it work, then I got my work permit and my 2 years GC and he wouldn't let me work or get a SS, he was in debt :(and money was a big deal and he blamed me on everything and I wanted to help.  I felt in prison again:wacko:, he wouldn't allow me I couldn't leave the house, the story is long, so let me get to the point. 

I am a ten years permanent resident since 20011 and I separate from my husband when I got the (CR89) conditions removed, I got my GC in the mail a day after I left and my ex was told that he had to give it to me by law.

 

#3months later in 2014 I found out I was expecting a baby girl with everything I was going trough, I wasn't expecting that to happen at the end she was the reason why he sign the divorce because he wasn't going to otherwise. then the divorce and the whole process finalized in January 2015. now is 2017 and I'm trying to get citizenship but because everything that happened above I don't know how they going to look at my file.

 

resumen 

resident since 2011

conditions removed accepted

feb 2014 I got separated 

feb 2014 I got 10 years GC 

2014 filed for divorce

may 2014 got pregnant of different man

child born 2015

divorce final 2015

looking into for citizenship in 2017

 

I don't know if I can apply for citizenship, I don't know if they gonna think that I was with him only for the PR and I don't know whats going to happen after I take a step forward I don't know if I should wait longer or just do it.

if anybody have anything positive to say about my case or if you went though the same I would like to know what was your experience. 

I believe you can apply for citizenship since even divorced you have been a resident more than 5 years.  I am not familiar with the requirements regarding a divorce from a K1 other than with a divorce you move to the 5 year line instead of the 3 year line.  Others may be more experienced with the divorce aspect of citizenship applications from a K1/LPR route, but I think you are fine to apply.

 

Good Luck!


Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hellokity said:

My marriage was in good faith but things started going bad as soon as I came here:wacko:, what do I mean with this is, my husband wouldn't let me talk to my family for weeks when he first brought me here, I had to argue my point with him so I could call and let my mom know that I was ok.

I came with a fiancé visa, we got married within the 90 :)days and things were fine we had our differences sometimes but we made it work, then I got my work permit and my 2 years GC and he wouldn't let me work or get a SS, he was in debt :(and money was a big deal and he blamed me on everything and I wanted to help.  I felt in prison again:wacko:, he wouldn't allow me I couldn't leave the house, the story is long, so let me get to the point. 

I am a ten years permanent resident since 20011 and I separate from my husband when I got the (CR89) conditions removed, I got my GC in the mail a day after I left and my ex was told that he had to give it to me by law.

 

#3months later in 2014 I found out I was expecting a baby girl with everything I was going trough, I wasn't expecting that to happen at the end she was the reason why he sign the divorce because he wasn't going to otherwise. then the divorce and the whole process finalized in January 2015. now is 2017 and I'm trying to get citizenship but because everything that happened above I don't know how they going to look at my file.

 

resumen 

resident since 2011

conditions removed accepted

feb 2014 I got separated 

feb 2014 I got 10 years GC 

2014 filed for divorce

may 2014 got pregnant of different man

child born 2015

divorce final 2015

looking into for citizenship in 2017

 

I don't know if I can apply for citizenship, I don't know if they gonna think that I was with him only for the PR and I don't know whats going to happen after I take a step forward I don't know if I should wait longer or just do it.

if anybody have anything positive to say about my case or if you went though the same I would like to know what was your experience. 

you can apply of course.  Go to their Citizenship page. It will give you lots of needed information. Things don't always work out for some couples.  Just be prepared to explain about your divorce why it didn't work out in case you are asked at the interview. 

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The above is right. You can apply for citizenship under the 5 year rule fine. How you got your green card doesn't really matter here. It's possible they'll ask for some evidence from the marriage, but since that was 10 years ago I don't think they'll even do that.


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

?/?/18: Interview

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Lenchick said:

you can apply of course.  Go to their Citizenship page. It will give you lots of needed information. Things don't always work out for some couples.  Just be prepared to explain about your divorce why it didn't work out in case you are asked at the interview. 

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship

Thank you for the good advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, danda226 said:

Hi there I was in a similar situation as you. I came here as a conditional resident in 2011 and became a citizen this year. Go ahead and apply :)

 

I'm glad you made your way out of your awful situation. I wish you all the best. 

Congratulations on your citizenship and thank you so much for the good advice. I need to collect a lot of information that I don't even know if I have, I need to get things together I think before I step forward, do you remember what they asked in the interview? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, geowrian said:

The above is right. You can apply for citizenship under the 5 year rule fine. How you got your green card doesn't really matter here. It's possible they'll ask for some evidence from the marriage, but since that was 10 years ago I don't think they'll even do that.

Thank you Geowrian. Yes, that's one thing I'm afraid of that I don't know if I have all the pieces of the puzzle to put them together to rebuild my case because they want everything in paper right! Things like the bank account that we had together that's gone, some of the pics from marriage he have them and we are not friends at all, we never talked since we got divorced. He only went to court one time at the very beginning of the divorce process. 

Its been 5 years since my first GC 2011 to 2017 It will expire in 2024 

Edited by hellokity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you're here legally for 5 years on GC, the marriage becomes irrelevant. 


05/15/2006 - Moved to Kansas, USA on TN Status

10/16/2009 - Married in Missouri, USA
 

Family-based AOS from TN Status - Complete

Spoiler

(DAY 00) 06/18/2012 - Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

(DAY 01) 06/19/2012 - AOS Package received

(DAY 04) 06/22/2012 - Texts/Emails from USCIS confirming receipt

(DAY 07) 06/25/2012 - I-130 and I-485 checks cashed

(DAY 08) 06/26/2012 - NOA received in the mail

(DAY 12) 06/30/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received in the mail. Appointment for 7/17/2012

(DAY 29) 07/17/2012 - Biometrics completed.

(DAY 51) 08/08/2012 - Interview email received. Scheduled for 9/11.

(DAY 53) 08/10/2012 - Paper Interview notice received in mail.

(DAY 86) 09/11/2012 - Interview. Approved on the spot.

(DAY 86) 09/11/2012 - GC Production ordered

(DAY 86) 09/11/2012 - EAD production ordered (not that I need it now...)

(DAY 87) 09/12/2012 - Case status moved from "card production" to "decision"

(DAY 89) 09/14/2012 - 2nd GC production ordered notice

(DAY 92) 09/17/2012 - EAD and GC mailed

(DAY 94) 09/19/2012 - EAD and GC IN HAND!

 

 

N-400 Application (5 year residency) - San Diego Field Office - Complete

Spoiler

 

(DAY 000) 08/15/2017 - N-400 Filed Online

(DAY 000) 08/15/2017 - Receipt Received, Case number assigned

(DAY 004) 08/19/2017 - Biometrics Appointment notification received

(DAY 010) 08/25/2017 - Biometrics Appointment PDF Posted (Date: 09/05/2017)

(DAY 013) 08/28/2017 - Biometrics Appointment Completed Early (Walk-In)

(DAY 014) 08/29/2017 - Case status now "We Reviewed Your Biometrics". 

(DAY 053) 10/06/2017 - In-line for interview. EGOV updated to "Interview Was Scheduled"

(DAY 054) 10/07/2017 - Interview scheduled. ELIS updated to "View your letter on your documents tab"

(DAY 057) 10/10/2017 - Interview PDF posted (Interview Date: 11/14/2017)

(DAY 092) 11/14/2017 - Interview in San Diego (Approved)

(DAY 112) 12/04/2017 - EGOV updated to "Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed"

(DAY 113) 12/05/2017 - ELIS updated to "View your letter on your documents tab"

(DAY 128) 12/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony Completed.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, hellokity said:

Thank you Geowrian. Yes, that's one thing I'm afraid of that I don't know if I have all the pieces of the puzzle to put them together to rebuild my case because they want everything in paper right! Things like the bank account that we had together that's gone, some of the pics from marriage he have them and we are not friends at all, we never talked since we got divorced. He only went to court one time at the very beginning of the divorce process. 

Its been 5 years since my first GC 2011 to 2017 It will expire in 2024 

Ah okay, sorry I didn't read that correctly. So you are an LPR for only 5 years. You qualify to apply just fine still. But it's possible they will ask for some marriage documentation. This not like ROC where you need to prove a marriage was entered into in good faith, but others have been asked for some marriage documentation even under the 5 year rule. I think you'll be fine, though. Good luck!

 

2 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Once you're here legally for 5 years on GC, the marriage becomes irrelevant. 

Yes and no. Others have been asked for marriage evidence even under the 5 year rule. While you don't need to prove your case for an immigration benefit this time, they can still review evidence for fraud. For example, I saw a case recently where they requested the information and noticed the applicant was legally separated at the time of ROC (with no single filer waiver), but that was not disclosed and it looks like (to me) they are investigating now.


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

?/?/18: Interview

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, hellokity said:

Congratulations on your citizenship and thank you so much for the good advice. I need to collect a lot of information that I don't even know if I have, I need to get things together I think before I step forward, do you remember what they asked in the interview? 

Yes I remember everything.

 

She did ask about my marriage. I honestly answered her all the questions she had. For example she wanted to know when we separated and if I had answered my I-751 correctly (we were still living together at that time but very soon after that he left so I filled the form out truthfully). Also she wanted to know if I got married to gain immigration benefits which I denied. 

 

She also wanted to see the divorce certificate. I had also gotten married again, she wanted to see the new marriage license as well.

 

She also asked why I had moved so many times and I explained to her that my lease was done and I hadn't found a place yet so we were in temporary places for a while until we got a house. She wanted to know about my new relationship and which religion we are and if my ex-husband had the same religion. 

 

She asked me if I had any crimes and I told her I never got a traffic ticket.

 

Of course she went through the civics questions with me and I had to read and write one sentence each for the English test which I passed.

 

Only issue I had was I had my Green Card replaced due to my name change and the "Resident since" date was wrong. She couldn't approve me on the spot because of that. Thankfully I had my first GC with me as well so she made a copy of both. A few hours later I received a case update that I was recommended for approval.

 

Just get as much stuff together as you can. If you can't access something, that's ok. I honestly told her as well that my ex and I are no longer speaking to each other. I still receive tax stuff in both of our names which I keep :D

 

I'm sure you will do well. Keep us updated! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hellokity said:

Congratulations on your citizenship and thank you so much for the good advice. I need to collect a lot of information that I don't even know if I have, I need to get things together I think before I step forward, do you remember what they asked in the interview? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, danda226 said:

Yes I remember everything.

 

She did ask about my marriage. I honestly answered her all the questions she had. For example she wanted to know when we separated and if I had answered my I-751 correctly (we were still living together at that time but very soon after that he left so I filled the form out truthfully). Also she wanted to know if I got married to gain immigration benefits which I denied. 

 

She also wanted to see the divorce certificate. I had also gotten married again, she wanted to see the new marriage license as well.

 

She also asked why I had moved so many times and I explained to her that my lease was done and I hadn't found a place yet so we were in temporary places for a while until we got a house. She wanted to know about my new relationship and which religion we are and if my ex-husband had the same religion. 

 

She asked me if I had any crimes and I told her I never got a traffic ticket.

 

Of course she went through the civics questions with me and I had to read and write one sentence each for the English test which I passed.

 

Only issue I had was I had my Green Card replaced due to my name change and the "Resident since" date was wrong. She couldn't approve me on the spot because of that. Thankfully I had my first GC with me as well so she made a copy of both. A few hours later I received a case update that I was recommended for approval.

 

Just get as much stuff together as you can. If you can't access something, that's ok. I honestly told her as well that my ex and I are no longer speaking to each other. I still receive tax stuff in both of our names which I keep :D

 

I'm sure you will do well. Keep us updated! :) 

Thank you so so much, this is vital information for my case. you did great, you deserve it all. I hope ill be fine I am with my baby daddy he suggest to us getting married but I don't know if that would be a good idea to get married and then summit the papers for my citizenship. 

 

ill keep you posted. thank you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×