EngineerSwede

Cancel K1 visa interview

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm in need of guidance.

My fiancée and I have decided to cancel my K1 visa petition in favour for her to come to Sweden instead. This for multiple reasons but mainly because I'm still under the 2-year-rule, with a year left to serve.

We got as far as to the stage of being able to book an interview for me at the embassy for my K1 visa, but haven't booked one (for reasons of no longer being interested in the K1). 

So we thought that we would cancel the K1 visa application. The end date for us being able to book an interview is coming up fast so we need to cancel it soon.

I have a couple of questions.

1) How do we proceed to cancel our petition?

2) Will there be any consequences with future applications?

Just to clarify, we are still a couple and plan to marry. For now we plan to live in Sweden but in the future we might want to be able to move to the US together.

Our thoughts are that we by then will use another method than K1 visa, but we are worried that the cancellation of this visa could affect our chances in the future.

I hope that you guys can help out and that my questions were clear.

Best regards,

EngineerSwede

2 hours ago, EngineerSwede said:

A petitioner or applicant may withdraw a petition or application prior to adjudication. Withdrawal is a voluntary action. It should not be coerced, although it may be suggested as an alternative to a formal denial. Whenever a withdrawal is received, it should be acknowledged, in writing, for the record. 

If withdrawn, none. And if you refile, you will only be asked why you did not push through with the initial petition. You can tell them about your decision that she move to Sweden. 

Just to clarify, we are still a couple and plan to marry. For now we plan to live in Sweden but in the future we might want to be able to move to the US together.

You may get married in Sweden and file for spousal visa in the future, that is also an option. :)

Best of luck, you guys! :)

K1 Visa Timeline (4 months / September 2016 to January 2017):

Timeline: Sept 23, 2016 (filing) to January 30, 2017 (visa on hand)
Our K1 Visa Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/04/21/k1-visa-process/

AOS Timeline (4 months / April 2017 to August 2017):

Timeline:  April 11, 2017 (filing) to August 28, 2017 (approved)

(September 14, 2017 - Greencard on Hand!  - late due to Hurricane Irma)
Our AOS Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/05/13/adjustment-of-status-greencard-application/

ROC Timeline (7 months / June 2019 to January 2020)

Timeline:  June 11, 2019 (filing) to January 29, 2020  (Card Mailed to Me)

Our ROC Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2019/06/07/removal-of-conditions-process/

N400 Timeline (3 months 3 weeks / August 7, 2020 -December 4, 2020)
August 7, 2020 - Filed Online

August 10, 2020 - NOA1 uploaded by USCIS in my account / Estimated Tiime of Completion updated as well (Feb 2021)

August 15, 2020 - Received NOA(hardcopy)

Sept 14, 2020 - Biometric Reuse

October 20, 2020 - Interview Has Been Scheduled

November 23, 2020 - Interview Date - Approved!

December 4, 2020 - OATH TAKING CEREMONY
Our N400 Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2020/08/08/filing-n400-path-to-citizenship/

4 hours ago, EngineerSwede said:

Hi everyone,

I'm in need of guidance.

My fiancée and I have decided to cancel my K1 visa petition in favour for her to come to Sweden instead. This for multiple reasons but mainly because I'm still under the 2-year-rule, with a year left to serve.

We got as far as to the stage of being able to book an interview for me at the embassy for my K1 visa, but haven't booked one (for reasons of no longer being interested in the K1). 

So we thought that we would cancel the K1 visa application. The end date for us being able to book an interview is coming up fast so we need to cancel it soon.

I have a couple of questions.

Our thoughts are that we by then will use another method than K1 visa, but we are worried that the cancellation of this visa could affect our chances in the future.

I hope that you guys can help out and that my questions were clear.

Best regards,

EngineerSwede

ONLY the US petitioner can withdraw a petition. Your fiancee should contact USCIS formally to withdraw the approved I-129F.

As for you, you should contact your local embassy to inform them that you will not proceed with the application. 

I doubt there would be any consequences IF you guys do the abovementioned things and provide them with the reason that you have stated here. But best to have some kinda formal record of such correspondence with USCIS and embassy for theirs and your future reference.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.