Mrsamoah2019

Marry on first visit

71 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

My fiance and I been talking on the internet for a year and want to get married in January.  This will be first time meeting him in person and going to Ghana? Should we wait to marry or can I file fiance visa?..we really love each other 

Timeline
1 minute ago, milimelo said:

That would be a red flag, especially for Ghana. 

So should I just go visit in 2018 and then go back in 2019 and get married?

You may think you're in love but truly, you'll need to spend time in person in order to know if you guys are a good fit and really want to be married to each other.

As others have said, Ghana is not an easy embassy, doesn't matter if you're attempting a K-1 or CR-1. Best is to meet multiple times, in Ghana and maybe outside of Ghana. I doubt it's easy for him to get a B2 to visit the US so you can probably scratch that off the list.

If you really want to proceed with a US visa application for your fiance, make sure to start gathering evidence every time you meet.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Oh....and one more thing.......Evidence here on VJ shows that getting married on the first visit is probably a bad idea.......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

You may think you're in love but truly, you'll need to spend time in person in order to know if you guys are a good fit and really want to be married to each other.

As others have said, Ghana is not an easy embassy, doesn't matter if you're attempting a K-1 or CR-1. Best is to meet multiple times, in Ghana and maybe outside of Ghana. I doubt it's easy for him to get a B2 to visit the US so you can probably scratch that off the list.

If you really want to proceed with a US visa application for your fiance, make sure to start gathering evidence every time you meet.

So about how many visits should I  make?...sorry I'm new to all of this

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I fully agree with all the other members that have posted here...

41 minutes ago, Roel said:

Pretty bad idea to get married on the first visit. Especially for that embassy. Besides, you really want to marry someone whose personality you only know from the internet? Take time to get to know each other, Ghana embassy will want to take few visits anyway.

In red, for me the best advise received here in the thread, please, know you each other, see if you have chemistry (not a cliche) Chemical process occur in the brain when you see a person who you loves (releasing endorphins and other wellness hormones etc.) See how thngs are between you in privacy,  besides,the other advises are really helpful too...

The way, whatever you take, need evidences the CR1 and the K1 and go the first time and get married would rise a Red Flag of the size of all Europe! Try to visit her, know you, as @missileman says , take pictures of both of you, with she's family when you know them because for both ways CR1 and K1 (specially for K1) evidence is fundamental! And Ghana is listed as a high fraud countries!

Read the forums about both ways and make your choice.

February 2016: We met in our jobs.

May 31 2016: We became a couple. :dancing:

August 16 2016: Engaged.

October 20 2016: ¡OUR WEDDING! Wooohooooo !!!!:dancing::dancing::dancing::wub:  :wub: :wub: 

CR-1 Visa Journey ... Service Center: Nebraska. Embassy: Bogotá , Colombia.

(I - 130 USCIS stage) :

Monday, August 21 2017 (Day 1) :  I - 130 sent. 

Monday, August 28 2017 (Day 7) : NOA(Received via e-mail and SMS).  :dance:

Tuesday, September 05 2017 (Day 15) NOA(hard copy I-797 received thru post mail) (PD Aug 24 2017).

Tuesday, March 13 2018 (Day 201) : USCIS issues RFE to our case . (Case opended at least) .:dance: 

Saturday, March 17 2018 (Day 205) : USCIS RFE  arrived via post mail.

Monday, March 19 2018 (Day 207) : USCIS RFE ´s answer was sent via post mail to NSC .

Thursday, March 22 2018 (Day 210) : Online Case Status changed to RFE´s answer was received .

Monday, April 2 2018 (Day 221) : ¡Approved! Online Case Status now shows Case was sent to Department of State.:dance::dancing:

(NVC Stage) :

Wednesday, April 4 2018 (Day 223) : Case Received.

Tuesday, June 5 2018 (Day 285): Case Number assigned, welcome letter received,invoice number received, DS261 filed.

Thursday, June 7 2018 (Day 287): AOS fee paid, waiting IV package fee to be unlocked to pay it.   

Thursday, June 14 2018 (Day 294): DS-261 checked and received letter, IV package fee now unlocked. 

Friday, June 15 2018 (Day 295) : IV fee paid, waiting DS-260 to be unlocked to fill it online. 

Monday, June 18 2018 (Day 298) : Full Package sent to NVC via post mail

Tuesday, June 19 2018 (Day 299): DS-260 unlocked to fill it online.

Wednesday, June 20 2018 (Day 300): DS-260 filled online.

Thursday, June 21 2018 (Day 301): Scan Date.

Monday, July 2 2018 (Day 312):  Case Completed and ready for an Interview.

Friday, July 13 2018 (Day 323): Interview Letter Received.:dancing::dance:

Monday, July 23 2018 (Day 333): Case Left NVC.

(U.S Colombian Embassy Stage) :

Monday, August 6 2018 (Day 347): Blood Test and chest X rays. (Done)

Wednesday, August 8 2018 (Day 349): Medical Exam. (Done)

Wednesday, August 15 2018 (Day 356): Biometrics in the Solicitant Atention Center. (Done)

Wednesday, August 22 2018 (Day 363): Interview... Approved! :dancing::dance:

Wednesday, September 19 2018 (Day 393): P.O.E thru Miami International Airport!!! :dancing::dance:

... "Nobody said it was easy" ... Coldplay: The Scientist Single.

1 minute ago, mrsbeckham2017 said:

It's hard to say. 1-2 visits frankly would seem too little for a difficult embassy like Ghana. Perhaps aim for something like 4 or so. You'll need a lot of face time. All the best.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

Timeline
Just now, mrsbeckham2017 said:

Ghana is considered to be a high fraud country.  To be honest, you need as much real time together as possible.......there is no set rule for number of visits, but some people who have married on the first visit have had/and are having difficult times with the embassies there.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

Why would a b2 be difficult for him to visit me?

Timeline
Just now, mrsbeckham2017 said:

1.  High fraud country

2.  Girlfriend/Fiance in US.

It isn't impossible for him to get a B2 visa, however, he woud have to provide evidence of very, very strong ties to Ghana.  He MUST convince the CO hat he will, in fact, return to his home country.........

7 minutes ago, mrsbeckham2017 said:

In 2016, the B2 refusal rate in Ghana was 65.7%. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.