Matt132154

I have questions wether obtaining an immigration lawyer will help speed up the process.

21 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, cordoba2015 said:

If you hire a crappy lawyer it will slow things down. A good one will prevent any RFEs and make sure everything is done right, keeping the process from taking any longer.

It's possible to prevent RFEs and get things done correctly without a lawyer. We didn't use one. No RFEs. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

5 minutes ago, JFH said:

It's possible to prevent RFEs and get things done correctly without a lawyer. We didn't use one. No RFEs. 

Very true, but for others to say that lawyers cannot be helpful is not.

CR-1 Visa Timeline

USCIS

7/27/2016: I-130 mailed.

8/02/2016: NOA1.

2/17/2017: NOA2.

2/24/2017: I-130 sent to NVC.

NVC

3/03/2017:  I-130 received.

3/09/2017: Case # and invoice # received, AOS and IV fees paid.

3/16/2017: DS-260 submitted; AOS and IV packets sent with EP.

4/06/2017: Case complete.

Consulate

4/15/2017: Interview email (P4).

5/09/2017: Medical.

5/15/2017: Interview.

5/19/2017: Visa in hand.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USA

5/20/2017: POE.

6/10/2017: Green card received.

7/05/2017: SSN card received (had to apply in person).  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lifting Conditions

4/19/2019: Filed I-751

5/01/2019: NOA (CSC)

7/22/2019: Case transferred to National Benefits Center

12/20/2019: Biometrics Appointment

2/12/2020: Interview Date

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
18 hours ago, Sackeys_2016 said:

I will advice u contact rapidvisa.com if u haven't filed yet 

Pole sana. Don't bother with this site. They cannot do anything. It is a question of waiting.

Filed: Other Country: Kenya
Timeline
2 hours ago, Sundee said:

Oh wow. Since April 2016 you have been waiting? What service center if I may ask? Did you only file 1-130?

Our office is the Nebraska office. Even though I live in Oregon and CA is so much closer. The immigration website said we had to file in Nebraska. Then I read that the Nebraska office was the worst and are way behind. Then in December of 2016, I  received a notice that our paperwork was transferred to the Vermont office. I was really hoping that would possibly speed up the process. But it hasn't. 

Yes we only filed an I-130 form. I hate to admit that I am not very good at paperwork and feel like I am lost in this whole process. My dear wife is the one who has helped me fill out most of the forms and has helped me the most through this whole thing. 

Filed: Other Country: Kenya
Timeline
20 hours ago, KULtoATL said:

Hey Matt!

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you're recovering nicely now :)

Honestly, it kinda doesn't matter if she's working for the UN. The US government agencies will run their own thorough background checks. No one can speed up the checks in order for you guys to move further along in the process. A senator, congressperson and immigration attorney won't be able to find out more details about the background checks because they are considered confidential. 

So unfortunately, all you guys can do now is to wait patiently while continuing to see each other every available opportunity. 

However, you can try to contact USCIS ombudsman I think. Refer to this link: https://www.dhs.gov/publication/scope-assistance.

I am recovering well, thanks. I will look up the ombudsman. Thank you very much for the information. Every little bit helps. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.