Ben & Katy

Live in Mexican border city and work in the USA?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I have been getting paperwork and evidence ready for the last month.  Can I submit the I-130, the 2 325A, I-864,OF230 and OF-169 at the same time?  I live in Nogales,Sonora with my wife and work in south Tucson,Arizona everyday.  I have maintained all my business in the USA; credit cards, driver license, American bank account.  I only sleep on the other side of the border.  

Also, could I submit to the Chicago lockbox or Ciudad Juarez consulate?  FYI my wife has no current visa right now.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Some of the forms you refer to are no longer in-use.  What you need to complete and where you submit can be found in the official I-130 instructions which can be found here:  https://www.uscis.gov/i-130

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Is there DCF in Mexico? You might qualify if you are a resident of Mexico. I don't know if you are (maybe you are not formally).

Otherwise, if you do not do DCF you need an address in the U.S. So which address are you using for work/bank/drivers license/etc? I am guessing one in the U.S.

Edited by Coco8

Timeline
1 minute ago, Coco8 said:

Is there DCF in Mexico? You might qualify if you are a resident of Mexico. I don't know if you are (maybe you are not formally).

Otherwise, if you do not do DCF you need an address in the U.S. So which address are you using for work/bank/drivers license/etc? I am guessing one in the U.S.

I have a PO box in Nogales,AZ that I use all my mail for.  I don't use my Mexican house in Nogales,Sonora for my mail. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

I also am not a resident of Mexico.  I have considered getting it but would rather focus all my financial resources and energy into her USA so I can move back to Arizona.

Then for IR1/CR1 you need to establish domicile in the US. A PO Box is not allowed. Just use a friend's or relative's address. Include that address in your drivers license or something else, and that should be enough. 

You can also look up ways of establishing domicile. You might have other things from the list. Like your job is a good one.

Edited by Coco8

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Ryan H said:

Some of the forms you refer to are no longer in-use.  What you need to complete and where you submit can be found in the official I-130 instructions which can be found here:  https://www.uscis.gov/i-130

Ryan,  so we don't need to file the biographical form anymore?  325A?i noticed it was missing on the new link you passed to me.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The I-130A which you will see in the link I gave you replaced the G-325A.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ryan H said:

Ok thank you!! That means less paperwork in the beginning at least.  

1 minute ago, Ryan H said:

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

Then for IR1/CR1 you need to establish domicile in the US. A PO Box is not allowed. Just use a friend's or relative's address. Include that address in your drivers license or something else, and that should be enough. 

You can also look up ways of establishing domicile. You might have other things from the list. Like your job is a good one.

Do you think it would be easier just to declare that I live in Tucson at a friends address and then just state that I pay my wife's rent in Nogales,Sonora?  Would that make it easier to declare domicile? 

Timeline

Do all my bank accounts,credit cards, phone bills, car insurance,health insurance also all count as intent to reestablish domicile in the USA including my job in Tucson?  Spend most of my time in the USA.  In Mexico I just sleep there during the week and the weekend is my only full day in Mexico.  I do have a friends address that I can use in Tucson.

17 minutes ago, ironpatriot1 said:

Do all my bank accounts,credit cards, phone bills, car insurance,health insurance also all count as intent to reestablish domicile in the USA including my job in Tucson?  Spend most of my time in the USA.  In Mexico I just sleep there during the week and the weekend is my only full day in Mexico.  I do have a friends address that I can use in Tucson.

Yes, I think you can claim your domicile is in the US. Because you are not a resident of Mexico. You are also paying US taxes as if you were a resident of the USA. 

This is different as "intent" to establish domicile.

But you need an actual address in the US as well.

Edited by Coco8

Timeline
56 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

Yes, I think you can claim your domicile is in the US. Because you are not a resident of Mexico. You are also paying US taxes as if you were a resident of the USA. 

This is different as "intent" to establish domicile.

But you need an actual address in the US as well.

What I will do is submit my rental agreement in Nogales,Sonora to prove my wife and I have a bonafide relationship and use her cousins address in Phoenix,Arizona to receive the paperwork and that will also be our intended domicile when we come to the USA. More than likely we will live in Phoenix or Tucson.  I might put in a transfer through my job to go to Phoenix after she gets her visa.  Since I live on the other side of the border I will submit my paperwork to the Chicago lockbox.  

Homeland security should have a record of me crossing every morning to go to work in Tucson.

Timeline

Is there anyone that lives in a Mexican border city with their Mexican spouse and works full time in the United States?  Or anybody that has done this to wait out the visa process together with their spouse? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, ironpatriot1 said:

What I will do is submit my rental agreement in Nogales,Sonora to prove my wife and I have a bonafide relationship and use her cousins address in Phoenix,Arizona to receive the paperwork and that will also be our intended domicile when we come to the USA. More than likely we will live in Phoenix or Tucson.  I might put in a transfer through my job to go to Phoenix after she gets her visa.  Since I live on the other side of the border I will submit my paperwork to the Chicago lockbox.  

Homeland security should have a record of me crossing every morning to go to work in Tucson.

That sounds like a good plan. Also the fact you work in the USA/pay taxes will make sense. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.