JonJones12

Can you extend the K1 visa

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Once you have the K1 visa in hand and in the passport, I believe it is valid for 6 months?

Is there any way you can extend this time, or would you have to reapply and start all over again?

I don't have my visa yet, still need to do the medical and interview but I'm just wondering just incase

The I-129F NOA2 can be extended. I don't think you can get an approved K-1 visa extended though or you might have a d-mn good reason to persuade the embassy to do so.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, JonJones12 said:

Once you have the K1 visa in hand and in the passport, I believe it is valid for 6 months?

Is there any way you can extend this time, or would you have to reapply and start all over again?

I don't have my visa yet, still need to do the medical and interview but I'm just wondering just incase

Firstly, you have a six month window to immigrate from the date of your medical, no matter when you interview.  Plan your medical and interview to fit your time schedule. You don't have to rush off and do it right after NOA2. London will let you dally around for a year, but they will likely send you a letter after six months of not hearing from you asking why you haven't sent in your visa application. They will also want a new letter of intent from the American (taken to the interview) once you go four months past NOA2.

If you end end up with a visa anyway and can't immigrate before it expires, they can issue another if you have a very good reason. Ask first. And you would have to do a partial medical for clearance from TB because that is what has a 6 month shelf life.

Edited by Wuozopo

the I-129F has a shelf life of 4 months from approval date.  Contact London or book your interview to keep the petition approval active.   After you get the visa you have 6 months from the medical date until it expires.  You cannot extend this without another medical ($$)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.