almostfamousgrl

I-134 for K-1 - Joint Sponsorship Question

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Long time lurker, first time poster and all that. This forum has been absolutely invaluable during the K-1 process, so a quick thanks to all of you! ^_^ I 

My partner just received his packet from the London embassy so we are now working to assemble the remaining required documents for the medical and interview. My last piece of this equation is the I-134. At the moment, I am unemployed. I'm a recent graduate and I'm working on obtaining work but it's taking longer than we anticipated. My dad has agreed to act as a joint sponsor for the visa. He's a champ for stepping in, and easily meets the requirements.

I have two main questions:

1. How should the packet be organized? I know that we should both fill out the 1-134 and provide financial documentation backing it up. Should I include a cover letter? Should there be any letter from my joint sponsor explaining his relationship to me and his willingness to take responsibility? 
  2. In terms of an employment letter (which I hear the London Embassy loves), what should it include? I'm figuring it should be on company letterhead, stating the nature of the employment, how long he's been employed, and what he makes. Is there anything else they look for?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me out. I'd love to hear from people who used a joint sponsor on their application and what their experience was like with the London embassy.

Cheers! :D

1) Cover letter to outline what you enclose with the I-134s is not a bad idea. However, your dad doesn't need to write a letter to explain your relationship with him and his willingness to take responsibility. The info he input in the I-134 would illustrate just that and he's signing under penalty of perjury anyways.

2) And yes, employment letter should be on the company's letterhead to include position, whether it's permanent or not, length of employment and his expected annual income for the year. 

All the best :)

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

If it's just for the interview stage, I wouldn't bother with a cover letter. Your fiancé is going to be called up to a window and speak to a real human being who will ask for his or her documents to check. When it gets to the Affadavit of Support, just have your fiancé say, "He's the I-134 from my partner and here's our joint sponsor documentation too."

Unless the process has changed for the London embassy since last year and you now send in documents in advance? I took all mine with me on the day.

And for what it's worth, we used tax returns rather than an employment letter. The company my husband works for takes the idea of paperless office to an extreme and I'm not even sure they have physical letterhead paper. I had no problem at the embassy using those.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
8 hours ago, almostfamousgrl said:

1. How should the packet be organized? I know that we should both fill out the 1-134 and provide financial documentation backing it up. Should I include a cover letter? Should there be any letter from my joint sponsor explaining his relationship to me and his willingness to take responsibility? 

For LONDON specifically, you the unemployed fiancé do NOT have to fill out an I-134. They want a sponsor, but your dad can be that sponsor. This has been reported many times by interviewers here in the U.K. forum. 

A great "Packet" will be form I-134 and one or two proofs of employment. Pick ONE that's easy to get:

1. Employer letter
  2. Tax return transcript
  3. Tax return (or transcript)  and employer letter
  4. Employer letter and recent pay stubs

The form asks how related and signing indicates his willingness. If your interviewer bothers to discuss the I-134, he can ask in person as well. No cover letter, no explaining.

8 hours ago, almostfamousgrl said:

In terms of an employment letter (which I hear the London Embassy loves), what should it include? I'm figuring it should be on company letterhead, stating the nature of the employment, how long he's been employed, and what he makes. Is there anything else they look for?

You nailed it.

This I-134 part will be much easier than you have in your head right now. 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 03/09/2017 at 6:00 AM, almostfamousgrl said:

Long time lurker, first time poster and all that. This forum has been absolutely invaluable during the K-1 process, so a quick thanks to all of you! ^_^ I 

My partner just received his packet from the London embassy so we are now working to assemble the remaining required documents for the medical and interview. My last piece of this equation is the I-134. At the moment, I am unemployed. I'm a recent graduate and I'm working on obtaining work but it's taking longer than we anticipated. My dad has agreed to act as a joint sponsor for the visa. He's a champ for stepping in, and easily meets the requirements.

2. In terms of an employment letter (which I hear the London Embassy loves), what should it include? I'm figuring it should be on company letterhead, stating the nature of the employment, how long he's been employed, and what he makes. Is there anything else they look for?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me out. I'd love to hear from people who used a joint sponsor on their application and what their experience was like with the London embassy.

Cheers! :D

Hey have you done the joint sponsorship yet? I'm in the situation my fiancé is a full time student and with loans/ veterans money he received 17k a year. Last year he was working also so got 25k. The 17k is just about enough for GA has they require £16200 but I'm still nervous so his dad has offered to be a joint sponsor. Does his dad just file an i134 too? 

Timeline
2 hours ago, rachied26 said:

Hey have you done the joint sponsorship yet? I'm in the situation my fiancé is a full time student and with loans/ veterans money he received 17k a year. Last year he was working also so got 25k. The 17k is just about enough for GA has they require £16200 but I'm still nervous so his dad has offered to be a joint sponsor. Does his dad just file an i134 too? 

I explained before but I thought you were the American. Let me revise:

For LONDON specifically, your  unemployed American fiancé does NOT have to fill out an I-134. They want a sponsor, but his dad can be that sponsor. This has been reported many times by interviewers here in the U.K. forum. 

One I-134 from his father would be your best and easiest choice in my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Quick question on this thread. I'm wondering if you could help make sure what I have is correct.

My Fiancé has completed the i-134, however we both lived abroad for 3 years so her US Tax's show $0, however we have been earning foreign income well over the minimum requirement. My Fiancé moved back to the US in February where she has since been working for a US Company full time earning 90K+, we have got her employment letter, pay stubs and also her bank account statements showing she has money to be able to support me. I have all the tax documents from abroad showing she was earning and paid off all outstanding tax. 

Would the embassy have an issue with her tax transcripts saying $0 even though she officially earn't abroad, or shall I seek a co-sponsor?

Thanks.

Timeline
1 hour ago, sunj said:

Hello All,

Quick question on this thread. I'm wondering if you could help make sure what I have is correct.

My Fiancé has completed the i-134, however we both lived abroad for 3 years so her US Tax's show $0, however we have been earning foreign income well over the minimum requirement. My Fiancé moved back to the US in February where she has since been working for a US Company full time earning 90K+, we have got her employment letter, pay stubs and also her bank account statements showing she has money to be able to support me. I have all the tax documents from abroad showing she was earning and paid off all outstanding tax. 

Would the embassy have an issue with her tax transcripts saying $0 even though she officially earn't abroad, or shall I seek a co-sponsor?

Thanks.

If your interview is in LONDON, they do not require the I-134 package to include a tax return. Yes, I said NO tax return. The letter from  her employer saying she has a job earning $90k is all you need.  Skip the tax return. You will pass.

(If this was a spouse visa with I-864, then yes a tax return is part of it, even if it says zero. Your AOS application will need a tax return because it also uses I-864 as the affidavit of support. The tax return does not have to show a certain income. It just has to be in the I-864 packet. Another employer letter will still prove her current income is sufficient despite what she made in 2016.)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.