mrx3214

Thinking my wife is homesick and depressed

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 12/27/2017 at 1:27 PM, AMZJ said:

I've been here a year and I still get homesick. It doesn't help that I can't drive or get anywhere (I am trying to learn but finding time and a person to take me out can be difficult). Getting a job did help, but I still miss being able to take myself places and not having to rely on anyone else to take me to do things. I am bored, I do not like living in the middle of nowhere and I miss the city. We have talked about moving next year closer to a big city so I'm happy about that. But it is hard to come from everything you've known. It takes time! I moved here for my husband but I was happy where I was in England. Things take time and eventually I'll be able to drive which I think will really help me since that's one of the biggest reasons I get home sick (not being able to get out and about).

That must be really hard.. England is so far away. What helps me is surrounding myself with familiarity. Always surround yourself with the same types of things you’d be surrounded by in England. Sounds crazy but for example, most of the plastic bags in my place are from Canadian stores. I use those ones and recycle any American ones we get. All my bathroom products.. shampoos, toothpastes... all from Canada. Teas, cereals, candies, practically anything in a package, I bring back with me from Canada. After 2 years of expat life, this is what I’ve learhed helps comfort me... seeing the French language and Canadian flags on everything :) Plus it’s the stuff I’m used to, so I feel more at home.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

That is something your wife need to handle it and find her own way to make to be happy. I really hope she already understood the sacrifice before move to new country with you.  Usually spouse get homesick in first few months, not first few days. My advice for you is be patience and be supportive for her so that she doesn't feel lonely or stress of doing nothing at home. Encourage her to find hobby or volunteer if she doesn't have job yet so that she can stay busy and keep her mind away from being negative. Is your wife eligible to work? If so then strongly encourage her to find job. Also encourage her to make a list of goals she want to do in 2018 to accomplish which it might motivate her a bit and she won't forget. My wife doesn't have job yet but she just start looking for it because she just got EAD. She found things to do without work is taking English course with tutor at home to continue improving her English, read business book (So she can prepare to work relate to her business field), study driving law book to get driver license, joined international book club, and attend international women club for her to meet new people and hang out. We don't live in big city but that doesn't stop her for finding something to do.

Edited by bbf3562

Filed: Other Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 9/2/2017 at 10:03 PM, mrx3214 said:

After waiting forever for whole process we finally moved back to the U.S.  Only been home for few days now, but I can tell she is not very happy being here.(missing home)  If I could of found a new job back in her country. I'm sure we would still be there to this day. She had no interest on re locating to the U.S.   Maybe someone who has been in her shoes could give me some supportive advice to my mind at ease.  Thanks

Aside from all the excellent advice already given to you by others, I would add something a bit weird, but maybe it will help too.
If you guys met and got married while you were working in her country, especially in post-soviet places like Georgia, please, understand that you were probably a well-regarded, respected, and well-known person as an American there. All expats, especially Americans find themselves being treated like rock stars there.... :)
If you guys moved to the US she and her "rock star" hubby became just part of the ordinary crowd here. I have been Georgia several times and I know what a beautiful place it is. Certainly worth missing. Especially if your new home in the US is a cold place. If possible move to a warmer place in the US, that is more similar to where she is from. Buy her a ticked and let her visit her home frequently, come on it is just 1000 bucks or so. :D

Relax, this is not a race.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.