Possiblymaybe

I-90 questions

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have  some questions about filing an I-90. It seems we have lost my husband's permanent resident card and can't find it anywhere. He is currently in line for an interview for citizenship.

Does he need to file an I-90 before his citizenship interview?

What is the processing time for a replacement permanent resident card?

Do you receive a receipt that can act as a permanent resident card until it is received?

Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you in advance for your answers!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

He does need to file, and should also file a police report just in case.

I am not sure how long the replacement takes, but afaik, you having filed and proof of that is enough for the US citizenship process.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

13 hours ago, Penguin_ie said:

He does need to file, and should also file a police report just in case.

I am not sure how long the replacement takes, but afaik, you having filed and proof of that is enough for the US citizenship process.

Thank you for the reply. 

If he applies for the I-90, do you think he could take the receipt to the local USCIS center and get a stamp in his passport so he can travel?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

jenafid

you posted Saturday...I hope you have filed for a replacement card by now. Yes he needs his card even after the "citizenship interview"

If approved he will be instructed to still carry it around until the official citizenship swear in. I am assuming a receipt would be sufficient to show the interviewing officer.

I dont have an answer for your second question about travel but would not make a move until you call USCIS at

1800375283 and ask them.

In my husbands case...it took about 6 months from application to interview so dont make travel plans without keeping your pending interview date in mind. We book his travels back in June and a few days later...received his interview date which conflicted.

Good Luck

event.png

event.png

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to update on this thread because, luckily, there are not a whole lot of people that lose their green cards.

But for those that do, the available information is conflicting.

In my husband's case, we lost his green card after we applied for the N400 and between the biometrics and the N400 interview.

We did not file the I-90 to replace the green card.  It seemed expensive and unnecessary.  We also did not file a police report as it was lost in our home (and probably thrown away while cleaning).

So during my husband's N400 interview he had to sign a sworn affidavit that his green card has been lost and that it be returned to USCIS if it is ever found.  At the end of the interview, he was given that sworn affidavit and told to take it with him to turn in at the oath ceremony.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.