sidv83

How to get fiancee's parents in Russia into US in time for wedding

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

My fiancee just got her K1 visa approved this last month, and she will be here this month in September.  We plan to hold the wedding soon.  Her parents really want to attend the wedding.  However, since the US embassy just had massive staff cuts in Russia, the estimated timeframe for anyone to get a visitor visa to the US is now listed as 85 days just for an appointment!  Is there anything that can be done to get her parents a visa to the US quickly in time for the wedding?  I'm not sure how I can accelerate the process, especially considering the US embassy operations in Russia have just been greatly reduced.  I would appreciate any advice.

25 minutes ago, Roel said:

You can't do anything.

They have do apply for the tourist visa and hope for the best.

^^^ This is pretty much it in a nutshell. There is no way to speed up the process. Her parents are on their own to apply for the visitor visa.

There is no way. Her parents have no automatic right to enter the country so they must wait until the embassy is able to accommodate them. The sooner they apply, the sooner they will have the appointment. Even if they could get the appointment next week, there's no guarantee they will get a visa. Anyone embarking on a K-1 visa must accept the fact that there is a strong chance the family of the beneficiary will not be present at the wedding. If her family being present at her wedding is important to her, getting married in Russia and then doing a CR-1 visa would have been a better choice. 

Nothing is perfect in this game. 

Nothing you can do to accelerate the process....it's just bad timing with all the consulate shut downs in Russia. It's first come, first serve and everyone has to wait their turn unfortunately. :bonk:  Many people's wedding plans have been foiled because of the visa wait times and/or rejections.

Actually, the US embassy in Tbillisi, Georgia agreed to issue visas for russians. But I guess her parents will have to go to Tbilisi and have an interview there which is not very far away (depending on where they are from)

There's just 8 days of the waiting period there

Edited by Marta Proniagina

Posted (edited)
On 9/2/2017 at 8:14 AM, Boiler said:

They have had a very long time to apply, why leave it to the last moment?

Because, in Russia, you cannot apply for a US tourist visa until you know the exact dates.

Since there is a huge window of timeframe for K1 visa, it is impossible to know the dates before the K1 is granted.

This is the entire complication.

Edited by nekotakacho

If her parents can not make it for the wedding in US, why you don't have a small courthouse ceremony? And then when her parents come later or next year you can have a nice wedding/church/party.  In my courthouse wedding I did not have any member of my family, my mom did not have a tourist visa at that time and it sucked but we did Skype. When an immigration process is involved it's very complicated to arrange everything that fits everyone. Anyways the sooner they apply for their visa, the sooner they will be able to visit you guys in US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.