christinaogbertil

Affidavit of Support I-864 Sponsor has Joint filed taxes

15 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I am preparing the I-864 with a close family friend who will be a joint sponsor because my income was not enough for the I-129F requirements to bring my fiancé here from Denmark.

My family friend (joint sponsor) files jointly with his wife so we were trying to figure out:

Should he only use his W-2's because the 1040 includes his wife's income? The instructions say you need copies of all W-2 and 1099's, is it possible for him to get access to 1099's if he files jointly?

Would it be better that his wife fills out the sponsor form? (trying to avoid that)

Thank you for any input or help,

Christina

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hope someone chimes in that can give you good advice regarding the cosponsor's documents part, but I just wanted to clarify a couple of things for you first :)

1- For a K1 visa you need form i-134, not i-864 that it's used for AOS after getting married.

2- The Affidavit of Support is required for the Embassy stage of the visa process, so you don't need to send that with your initial i-129f package.

This means you have more time to figure out things... And also there's a chance you end up using 2017 taxes for the affidavit, if your cosponsor filles them early next year, since currently the process is taking 4-5 months to NOA2 and 1-3 more months till interview.

Of course, this might change and the wait be shorter in the future (wishful thinking?).

K1 Visa process 

Spoiler

30 March 2017 (Thu): i-129f sent

6 April 2017 (Thu): i-129f received- NOA1 RECEIVED DATE

12 April 2017 (Wed): NOA1 email/text confirmation

17 April 2017 (Mon): NOA1 hardcopy

10 August 2017 (Thu): NOA2 Approval date - 14 August 2017 (Mon): NOA2 hardcopy

24 August 2017 (Thu): NVC received and case # assigned (provided through phone call 8/25)

29 August 2017 (Tue): NVC left

30 August 2017 (Wed): Consulate Received (READY at the ceac tracker)

01 September 2017 (Fri): Packet 3 (instructions) received / Packet 3 sent (documents mailed)

02 September 2017 (Sat): NVC letter in the mail

08 September 2017 (Fri): Packet 4 received

11 September 2017 (Mon): Medical exam

21 September 2017 (Thu): Interview- APPROVED

26 September 2017 (Tue): Visa Issued

28 September 2017 (Thu): Visa Delivered (VOH)

20 October 2017 (Fri): POE Dallas Fort Worth

AOS/EAD/AP process 

Spoiler

08 January 2018 (Mon): AOS/EAD/AP package sent

09 January 2018 (Tue): Received date

10 January 2018 (Wed): Notice date

11 January 2018 (Thu): AOS/EAD/AP NOA texts and emails

16 January 2018 (Tue): NOAs hard copies received in the mail

26 January 2018 (Fri): Biometrics appointment in the mail

09 February 2018 (Fri): Biometrics appointment

05 April 2018 (Thu)Green Card Interview scheduled (email and text received 08 April, Sunday)

12 April 2018 (Thu): Green Card Interview appointment letter received in the mail

15 May 2018 (Tue): Green Card Interview: APPROVAL / Card is being produced

19 May 2018 (Sat): 1-797 Approval Notice received

23 May 2018 (Wed): Card was mailed

24 May 2018 (Thu): Post office picked up the mail. Tracking number.

25 May 2018 (Fri): Green Card RECEIVED

ROC process 

18 February 2020 (Tue): ROC package sent

19 February 2020 (Wed) Received date (also in Notice)

24 February 2020 (Mon) Notice date / ROC text and email

28 February 2020 (Fri) NOA/ Extension Letter in the mail

13 May 2020 (Wed) Case updated (Fingerprints were taken) - Notification received 18 May (Mon), stating I don't have to appear for a biometrics appointment

3 minutes ago, Estibaliz said:

Hope someone chimes in that can give you good advice regarding the cosponsor's documents part, but I just wanted to clarify a couple of things for you first :)

1- For a K1 visa you need form i-134, not i-864 that it's used for AOS after getting married.

2- The Affidavit of Support is required for the Embassy stage of the visa process, so you don't need to send that with your initial i-129f package.

This means you have more time to figure out things... And also there's a chance you end up using 2017 taxes for the affidavit, if your cosponsor filles them early next year, since currently the process is taking 4-5 months to NOA2 and 1-3 more months till interview.

Of course, this might change and the wait be shorter in the future (wishful thinking?).

Hello and thank you,

I am aware that I need the I-134, but I already knew my last year income was not enough, so that is why I am being proactive :-) I did already submit my I-129F, thank you for writing that though! I am not worried about things I cannot control. Only faith can get us through :-) thank you for replying and I hope someone will have information about tax form evidence. Thanks again :-)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

what about this year? is she already here and you are getting married this year or will it be next year

when do you think you will be filing the adjustment of status packet?

Timeline
1 minute ago, christinaogbertil said:

Hello and thank you,

I am aware that I need the I-134, but I already knew my last year income was not enough, so that is why I am being proactive :-) I did already submit my I-129F, thank you for writing that though! I am not worried about things I cannot control. Only faith can get us through :-) thank you for replying and I hope someone will have information about tax form evidence. Thanks again :-)

Oops, sorry for telling you things you already knew, I misunderstood where you were at the process. Sign I should be going to sleep already :)

Anyway, I was just reading on cases similar to yours, and if I'm not mistaken you can only have one cosponsor for the K1. He would need to provide the W2's so his personal income can be determined from the total showed in the taxes filed jointly, plus the paystubs and letter of employment will show his current individual income.

K1 Visa process 

Spoiler

24 August 2017 (Thu): NVC received and case # assigned (provided through phone call 8/25)

01 September 2017 (Fri): Packet 3 (instructions) received / Packet 3 sent (documents mailed)

AOS/EAD/AP process 

Spoiler

05 April 2018 (Thu)Green Card Interview scheduled (email and text received 08 April, Sunday)

12 April 2018 (Thu): Green Card Interview appointment letter received in the mail

ROC process 

13 May 2020 (Wed) Case updated (Fingerprints were taken) - Notification received 18 May (Mon), stating I don't have to appear for a biometrics appointment

8 minutes ago, aleful said:

what about this year? is she already here and you are getting married this year or will it be next year

when do you think you will be filing the adjustment of status packet?

Hello,

He is in Denmark so we are waiting for the I-129F response. I am hoping Decmber we can get married when he arrives under the fiancé visa.

Does this information help?

4 minutes ago, Estibaliz said:

Oops, sorry for telling you things you already knew, I misunderstood where you were at the process. Sign I should be going to sleep already :)

Anyway, I was just reading on cases similar to yours, and if I'm not mistaken you can only have one cosponsor for the K1. He would need to provide the W2's so his personal income can be determined from the total showed in the taxes filed jointly, plus the paystubs and letter of employment will show his current individual income.

Thank you for looking :-)

Yes it will only be one joint sponsor. He is a professor so are the paystubs necessary or a precaution? The instructions do not mention a letter of employment and paystubs as necessary . . . ? Or that is your suggestion for clarifying individual income? Thank you!

6 minutes ago, christinaogbertil said:

Thank you for looking :-)

Yes it will only be one joint sponsor. He is a professor so are the paystubs necessary or a precaution? The instructions do not mention a letter of employment and paystubs as necessary . . . ? Or that is your suggestion for clarifying individual income? Thank you!

Paystubs are necessary esp. if the co-sponsor is working, that is to establish that he has a stable income every month.

The embassy sent me a letter about the requirements for the interview and as per my understanding, whatever documents the petitioner will provide has to be provided by the joint sponsor as well.

The letter says that we provide originals, not photocopies of the following:

• Form I-134, completed and signed
  • current salary letter or a letter that shows how many hours the petitioner is working every week and how much is he earning per hour.
  • current bank statement
  • Tax Form 1040 of the most recent year
  • w2
  • Paystubs for the last 3 months
  • Proof of US citizenship

But since our co-sponsor is already retired, it is impossible to provide w2, paystubs and current salary letter. She has a business and is receiving social security benefits as well every month. We ended up providing the following from the joint sponsor to prove that he she qualifies to back us up financially in case things get out of hand. Our co-sponsor was my aunt.

• Social Security Benefits Statement for 2016

She was also the one we got as co-sponsor for our AOS application and we did not have any issues at all. The only difference between K1 and AOS is the forms, and that the spouse of the co- sponsor also needs to fill out the form I-864A as an agreement between him and my aunt that he is allowing her to sponsor me in case a problem arises financially to avoid me becoming a public charge.

Hope this helps.

K1 Visa Timeline (4 months / September 2016 to January 2017):

Timeline: Sept 23, 2016 (filing) to January 30, 2017 (visa on hand)
Our K1 Visa Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/04/21/k1-visa-process/

AOS Timeline (4 months / April 2017 to August 2017):

Timeline:  April 11, 2017 (filing) to August 28, 2017 (approved)

(September 14, 2017 - Greencard on Hand!  - late due to Hurricane Irma)
Our AOS Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/05/13/adjustment-of-status-greencard-application/

ROC Timeline (7 months / June 2019 to January 2020)

Timeline:  June 11, 2019 (filing) to January 29, 2020  (Card Mailed to Me)

Our ROC Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2019/06/07/removal-of-conditions-process/

N400 Timeline (3 months 3 weeks / August 7, 2020 -December 4, 2020)
August 7, 2020 - Filed Online

August 10, 2020 - NOA1 uploaded by USCIS in my account / Estimated Tiime of Completion updated as well (Feb 2021)

August 15, 2020 - Received NOA(hardcopy)

Sept 14, 2020 - Biometric Reuse

October 20, 2020 - Interview Has Been Scheduled

November 23, 2020 - Interview Date - Approved!

December 4, 2020 - OATH TAKING CEREMONY
Our N400 Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2020/08/08/filing-n400-path-to-citizenship/

16 minutes ago, TheSkywalkers said:

Paystubs are necessary esp. if the co-sponsor is working, that is to establish that he has a stable income every month.

The embassy sent me a letter about the requirements for the interview and as per my understanding, whatever documents the petitioner will provide has to be provided by the joint sponsor as well.

The letter says that we provide originals, not photocopies of the following:

• current salary letter or a letter that shows how many hours the petitioner is working every week and how much is he earning per hour.
  • current bank statement
  • w2
  • Paystubs for the last 3 months

But since our co-sponsor is already retired, it is impossible to provide w2, paystubs and current salary letter. She has a business and is receiving social security benefits as well every month. We ended up providing the following from the joint sponsor to prove that he she qualifies to back us up financially in case things get out of hand. Our co-sponsor was my aunt.

• Social Security Benefits Statement for 2016

She was also the one we got as co-sponsor for our AOS application and we did not have any issues at all. The only difference between K1 and AOS is the forms, and that the spouse of the co- sponsor also needs to fill out the form I-864A as an agreement between him and my aunt that he is allowing her to sponsor me in case a problem arises financially to avoid me becoming a public charge.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

For the original documents you said were required: how did you use an original copy for your sponsors evidence of US citizenship . . .?

Tax forms are instructed to be photocopies so what did you all do to make them "originals"?

also, youre saying my fiancé's joint sponsor's spouse fills out I-864a? and the joint sponsor fills out only I-134 and not the I-864a? I never read that so I am totally having a "what?" moment.

Thank you so much for writing. Please let me know if you have answers to the above.

Timeline

Sorry, I went to sleep :P but I see you already got good answers to your doubt. They want proof of the current income, therefore the need to use paystubs and such.

I-864A is used by the joint sponsor's spouse for AOS. You only need the cosponsor i134 for the K1, nothing from the wife.

And I think when they talk about originals they refer to letters and forms that require a signature. Well, that's what my logic tells me :)

K1 Visa process 

Spoiler

AOS/EAD/AP process 

Spoiler

ROC process 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2017 at 2:52 AM, Estibaliz said:

Sorry, I went to sleep :P but I see you already got good answers to your doubt. They want proof of the current income, therefore the need to use paystubs and such.

I-864A is used by the joint sponsor's spouse for AOS. You only need the cosponsor i134 for the K1, nothing from the wife.

And I think when they talk about originals they refer to letters and forms that require a signature. Well, that's what my logic tells me :)

Hello :-)

Thank you for that response. I sent in the K-1 at the beginning of the month. Now finishing I-134 with the sponsor and mine. I read the instructions for the I-864a and it says that it is only needed if the sponsor's income is not enough . . . which is not the case, so for my fiancé's eventual adjustment of status will the I-864a still be necessary?

Thank you,

Christina

Timeline
1 hour ago, christinaogbertil said:

Hello :-)

Thank you for that response. I sent in the K-1 at the beginning of the month. Now finishing I-134 with the sponsor and mine. I read the instructions for the I-864a and it says that it is only needed if the sponsor's income is not enough . . . which is not the case, so for my fiancé's eventual adjustment of status will the I-864a still be necessary?

Thank you,

Christina

Always good to plan ahead and be prepared, but keep in mind you probably won't need the i134 until 4-6 months from now, and dates can be significant for some documents like the letter of employment.

Anyway, as I said I'm not too familiar with co-sponsoring, but regarding the i864a, for what I've understood reading about it, it has nothing to do with your co-sponsor's income not being enough, but with the fact his spouse is ok with him using his/their assets to sponsor the fiance if that was necessary. 

Also keep in mind you are always the sponsor of your fiance, even if you don't have income. The person helping you out to meet the requirements would be the co-sponsor.

K1 Visa process 

Spoiler

AOS/EAD/AP process 

Spoiler

ROC process 

For K1 with co-sponsor, both the sponsor and co-sponsor fills out Form I-134.

For Adjustment of Status with co-sponsor, both sponsor and co-sponsor fills out Form I-864 BUT if the co-sponsor is married, his/her spouse has to complete Form I-864A which serves as an agreement between the co-sponsor and his/her spouse that the spouse is letting the co-sponsor be responsible for the intending immigrant using their income. :)

Hope this helps! :)

Edited by TheSkywalkers

K1 Visa Timeline (4 months / September 2016 to January 2017):

Timeline: Sept 23, 2016 (filing) to January 30, 2017 (visa on hand)
Our K1 Visa Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/04/21/k1-visa-process/

AOS Timeline (4 months / April 2017 to August 2017):

Timeline:  April 11, 2017 (filing) to August 28, 2017 (approved)

(September 14, 2017 - Greencard on Hand!  - late due to Hurricane Irma)
Our AOS Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/05/13/adjustment-of-status-greencard-application/

ROC Timeline (7 months / June 2019 to January 2020)

Timeline:  June 11, 2019 (filing) to January 29, 2020  (Card Mailed to Me)

Our ROC Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2019/06/07/removal-of-conditions-process/

N400 Timeline (3 months 3 weeks / August 7, 2020 -December 4, 2020)
August 7, 2020 - Filed Online

August 10, 2020 - NOA1 uploaded by USCIS in my account / Estimated Tiime of Completion updated as well (Feb 2021)

August 15, 2020 - Received NOA(hardcopy)

Sept 14, 2020 - Biometric Reuse

October 20, 2020 - Interview Has Been Scheduled

November 23, 2020 - Interview Date - Approved!

December 4, 2020 - OATH TAKING CEREMONY
Our N400 Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2020/08/08/filing-n400-path-to-citizenship/

On 9/22/2017 at 6:01 PM, TheSkywalkers said:

For K1 with co-sponsor, both the sponsor and co-sponsor fills out Form I-134.

For Adjustment of Status with co-sponsor, both sponsor and co-sponsor fills out Form I-864 BUT if the co-sponsor is married, his/her spouse has to complete Form I-864A which serves as an agreement between the co-sponsor and his/her spouse that the spouse is letting the co-sponsor be responsible for the intending immigrant using their income. :)

Hope this helps! :)

Thank you! Yes it does, so much.

I really appreciate it :-)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.