3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

So I haven't started the Visa Process yet, but I will do so in the near future. I would like to learn as much as possible in regards to the financial requirements, before I apply for the Visa.

To give a quick background, I lived in Brazil for two years and there met my fiancee. By the time we apply for the visa, which we plan to be August 2018, we'll have known each other for more than an entire year, and we lived together for 5 months, until I had to return to the US. I plan on going back to visit next June and stay with her there for about of month. So I wont have any problems with evidence of a bona-fide relationship. I'm carefully keeping all of the evidence and proof that could be included.

The only hurdle is this: Im 20 years old, and by the time I file the petition, I'll be 21 and so will she. I'm currently enrolled in a local community college taking 12 credit hours per semester, and I'm working two jobs: One as a cashier at a local Walmart and the other as a contractor working for a pool cleaning company locally. I'll probably be able to pass the 100% poverty level for the financial income requirements, but as for the 125% Im not so sure. My father has offered to act as a cosponsor for us, and he well passes the 125% poverty level. The questions are these:

1. Does the Joint sponsor option have a high approval rating? Would they be able to take the fact that I'm a college student and working two part time jobs into consideration?

2. Does anybody have experience with Joint sponsors in the Brazil US Consulate in Rio de Janeiro?

Thanks for the help!

11 minutes ago, TaTaTyrone15 said:

1. Does the Joint sponsor option have a high approval rating? Would they be able to take the fact that I'm a college student and working two part time jobs into consideration?

2. Does anybody have experience with Joint sponsors in the Brazil US Consulate in Rio de Janeiro?

Financial sponsorship is based on income. For you to be a sponsor, for a household of 2 (you + fiance), you'd have to make roughly 20,000-22,000 a year (the actual amount is on the USCIS website).

Your parents might be able to be "joint sponsors" or "co-sponsors". If you are the only one, you'd be the "sponsor".

I'd recommend you marry and do a spousal visa. It is much cheaper. Unless you are unsure and that is why you want to wait. But you can marry whenever and then do the visa. If you start next year and you are married 2 years by the time she gets the visa, it is even more a money/time saver because she gets a 10 year green card (otherwise, she'd get a temporary and you have to do even more paperwork).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 31/08/2017 at 5:32 PM, TaTaTyrone15 said:

So I haven't started the Visa Process yet, but I will do so in the near future. I would like to learn as much as possible in regards to the financial requirements, before I apply for the Visa.

To give a quick background, I lived in Brazil for two years and there met my fiancee. By the time we apply for the visa, which we plan to be August 2018, we'll have known each other for more than an entire year, and we lived together for 5 months, until I had to return to the US. I plan on going back to visit next June and stay with her there for about of month. So I wont have any problems with evidence of a bona-fide relationship. I'm carefully keeping all of the evidence and proof that could be included.

The only hurdle is this: Im 20 years old, and by the time I file the petition, I'll be 21 and so will she. I'm currently enrolled in a local community college taking 12 credit hours per semester, and I'm working two jobs: One as a cashier at a local Walmart and the other as a contractor working for a pool cleaning company locally. I'll probably be able to pass the 100% poverty level for the financial income requirements, but as for the 125% Im not so sure. My father has offered to act as a cosponsor for us, and he well passes the 125% poverty level. The questions are these:

Thanks for the help!

Hey there!

I'm sorry but why did you choose the K1 visa? I think it's more complicated and expensive since you guys have to pass for the whole process twice. You can marry her in Brazil, come back to US and then just adjust her status!

If you earn money enough you don't need the sponsor and then doesn't matter to USCIS if you are college student and have two jobs! All they want to know is if you can support your fiance/wife during the immigration process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.