Life is short

USA Entry denial on POE for Immigrants

25 posts in this topic

Did US Border Control officers ever denied an Immigrant to go into the USA knowing that the immigrant has a valid visa (not expired)?

or it is just a normal interview? 

can they deny entry or will approval be the only result of the interview?

Yes, it happens.  Recent example is a fiancé who stated he didn't plan to get married (...) - other situations: people getting married in foreign country before trying to enter on a fiancé visa; criminal record, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Yes, it happens.  Recent example is a fiancé who stated he didn't plan to get married (...) - other situations: people getting married in foreign country before trying to enter on a fiancé visa; criminal record, etc. 

I remember the guy who was very flippant at answering the CBP officer which got him denied entry and the thread ran pages wrong. That was kinda crazy.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Yes, people have been denied entry by CBP with an unexpired immigrant visa. It's very far from the norm, but does happen.

• The visa could have been revoked.
  • The visa could have had a mistake (i.e. name doesn't match the passport).
  • Missing or damaged sealed envelope.
  • The officer could find you ineligible for various other reasons, such as
    • Criminal history / activity
    • Misrepresentation when interviewed with the officer
    • If entering on a visa that requires you to be single, if they uncover a reason to suspect that you may now be married, then they can deny you.

Basically, CBP has broad authority at POE. The only people guaranteed entry are USCs.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

5 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

Thank you. I wonder for those on Fiancee visa, how being married before arriving to USA will lead to denial, maybe because the USCIS asks them to marry within two months after arrival to US, still not convenient for these poor couples who want to start their life together.

Would criminal records affect US Border Control Officers decision even if it was approved during Consulate interview or the Waiver?

5 hours ago, KULtoATL said:

I remember the guy who was very flippant at answering the CBP officer which got him denied entry and the thread ran pages wrong. That was kinda crazy.

I don't know about that thread, but I am pretty sure that flippant answer is a good reason for denial since it violates the law which states that fiancee visa applicant should marry the petitioner within two months of arrival to US.

I feel sorry for his fiancee.

5 hours ago, geowrian said:

Yes, people have been denied entry by CBP with an unexpired immigrant visa. It's very far from the norm, but does happen.

• The visa could have been revoked.
  • The visa could have had a mistake (i.e. name doesn't match the passport).
  • Missing or damaged sealed envelope.
  • The officer could find you ineligible for various other reasons, such as
    • Criminal history / activity
    • Misrepresentation when interviewed with the officer
    • If entering on a visa that requires you to be single, if they uncover a reason to suspect that you may now be married, then they can deny you.

Basically, CBP has broad authority at POE. The only people guaranteed entry are USCs.

That was very helpful, thanks for the addition which included information I didn't know before :)

I agree that only US Citizens are the only guaranteed to enter the US. Is it normal to revoke a visa? why?

Can such mistakes (i.e misspelling of name on Visa, or Visa number has a typo and wrong number) be corrected easily and the applicant try to visit the US again after that? how can it be corrected?

Would criminal records affect US Border Control Officers decision even if it was approved during Consulate interview or approved through a Waiver?

I am new to this and seek your help :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Criminal issues you have a waiver for will not affect entry, but if there is anything you did not declare, or that happened/ you were sentnced for after the visa was granted then yes,

Yes, mistakes on the visa can cause issues, even small ones. I remember someone on here who got denied because the visa said Steve and the passport Steven,

While these things do happen, denial at the port of entry are rare.  What exactly are you worried about?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

13 minutes ago, Penguin_ie said:

Criminal issues you have a waiver for will not affect entry, but if there is anything you did not declare, or that happened/ you were sentnced for after the visa was granted then yes,

Yes, mistakes on the visa can cause issues, even small ones. I remember someone on here who got denied because the visa said Steve and the passport Steven,

While these things do happen, denial at the port of entry are rare.  What exactly are you worried about?

Thanks for your comment , that was more than enough and answered my question thoroughly :) 

I am not worried but as the USCIS mentioned on their website that Visa doesn't give its holder the right to enter US as there are several parties that decide the entry, this includes: USCIS approves petition, Consulate Officer approves Visa Issuing, POE Consular approves Entry.  an applicant needs to go through all these steps (or gates) and pass in order to live with spouse in the US. I wish things were more simpler than that without the need to wait for long time.

5 hours ago, Life is short said:

I agree that only US Citizens are the only guaranteed to enter the US. Is it normal to revoke a visa? why?

It's not "normal", but it's not unheard of either. They only do so if they discover a reason why you are not eligible to use the visa.

Can such mistakes (i.e misspelling of name on Visa, or Visa number has a typo and wrong number) be corrected easily and the applicant try to visit the US again after that? how can it be corrected?

How "easy" it is depends on the embassy and individual you get a hold of. :) But you can contact the embassy to request that they fix the issue and issue a new visa.

Would criminal records affect US Border Control Officers decision even if it was approved during Consulate interview or approved through a Waiver?

As noted above, only if it was not disclosed or it occurred after approval.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

With fiancé iva holders who marry before entering the US.  Even if they make it in and have a US marriage , if it is discovered later they where married at entry , all benefits including the green card can be revoked.  If you are holding a wedding out of the US  , you have to use to spousal visa

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

13 hours ago, Life is short said:

Did US Border Control officers ever denied an Immigrant to go into the USA knowing that the immigrant has a valid visa (not expired)?

or it is just a normal interview? 

can they deny entry or will approval be the only result of the interview?

yes they have the authority to deny entry to anyone who wishes to enter the US. there was one incident where a K1 visa holder was denied entry bec when he was asked whether he has plans of marrying the sponsor, he answered "Maybe or maybe not.". Even if it was just a joke from his end, you do not make jokes with an IO or a US Border Control Officer. If they see anything that suggests you're not there to follow your visa's purpose, you are not going to be allowed to come and enter the US.

K1 Visa Timeline (4 months / September 2016 to January 2017):

Timeline: Sept 23, 2016 (filing) to January 30, 2017 (visa on hand)
Our K1 Visa Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/04/21/k1-visa-process/

AOS Timeline (4 months / April 2017 to August 2017):

Timeline:  April 11, 2017 (filing) to August 28, 2017 (approved)

(September 14, 2017 - Greencard on Hand!  - late due to Hurricane Irma)
Our AOS Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/05/13/adjustment-of-status-greencard-application/

ROC Timeline (7 months / June 2019 to January 2020)

Timeline:  June 11, 2019 (filing) to January 29, 2020  (Card Mailed to Me)

Our ROC Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2019/06/07/removal-of-conditions-process/

N400 Timeline (3 months 3 weeks / August 7, 2020 -December 4, 2020)
August 7, 2020 - Filed Online

August 10, 2020 - NOA1 uploaded by USCIS in my account / Estimated Tiime of Completion updated as well (Feb 2021)

August 15, 2020 - Received NOA(hardcopy)

Sept 14, 2020 - Biometric Reuse

October 20, 2020 - Interview Has Been Scheduled

November 23, 2020 - Interview Date - Approved!

December 4, 2020 - OATH TAKING CEREMONY
Our N400 Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2020/08/08/filing-n400-path-to-citizenship/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
7 hours ago, Life is short said:

Thank you. I wonder for those on Fiancee visa, how being married before arriving to USA will lead to denial, maybe because the USCIS asks them to marry within two months after arrival to US, still not convenient for these poor couples who want to start their life together.

Would criminal records affect US Border Control Officers decision even if it was approved during Consulate interview or the Waiver?

That's visa fraud

CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Nebraska    Consulate: Mexico

Marriage: 12/9/2016    I-130 Sent: 12/10/2016    I-130 NOA1: 12/13/2016

Notice from USCIS: 8/23/2017

USCIS Approval Date: 8/21/2017

NOA2 issued date: 8/18/2017   NOA2 hardcopy received: 8/25/2017

Notice from USCIS Sent to NVC: 9/1/2017    NVC received: 9/8/2017

Received case and invoice numbers: 9/12/2017

Choice of Agent DS-261: 9/12/2017

Welcome Letter: 9/15/2017

Received and Paid AOS: 9/15/2017    AOS payment cleared my bank: 9/19/2017 (still shows In Process on CEAC)

Received and paid IV bill: 9/19/2017    IV bill cleared bank: 9/21/2017

Requested Expedite: 9/20/2017

AOS and IV show as paid: 9/23/2017

DS260 unlocked: 9/23/2017

Partial Expedite Approved at Counselor Level: 9/25/2017 (Must still wait out NVC)

Scan Date: 10/2/2017    Case Complete: 11/15/2017 (6 weeks 2 days!)

Case sent to consulate: 11/20/2017     Received by consulate: 11/21/2017 (11/20 was a holiday in Mexico)

Interview Scheduled: Jan 2nd - I managed to get someones canceled appointment the very same day my case status turned to Ready.

Biometrics: Mexico City Dec 27th Medical: Mexico City Dec 28th

Case says READY but consulate says case is not in system, I jumped the gun and booked an interview but they say its invalid until I receive the letter so I might have to cancel it.

Appointment Letter: Flew to Juarez just to get this, its actually 2 letters you need.

Interview Day: Jan 2nd   Interview Result: APPROVED

Tracking Number Received: Via email notice and website the afternoon of Jan 4th    Visa Delivered: Friday Jan 5th Mexico City

USCIS Notice - Green Card mailed: 3/28/18

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
40 minutes ago, TheSkywalkers said:

yes they have the authority to deny entry to anyone who wishes to enter the US. there was one incident where a K1 visa holder was denied entry bec when he was asked whether he has plans of marrying the sponsor, he answered "Maybe or maybe not.". Even if it was just a joke from his end, you do not make jokes with an IO or a US Border Control Officer. If they see anything that suggests you're not there to follow your visa's purpose, you are not going to be allowed to come and enter the US.

Who will be thinking, first in make a joke with something that serious as that, and second be joking with a US Border Control Officer!!!!

You have to show respect, and manners to the officer, be correctly dressed ...

So many things.... i was astonished when I read this!!! Really!

February 2016: We met in our jobs.

May 31 2016: We became a couple. :dancing:

August 16 2016: Engaged.

October 20 2016: ¡OUR WEDDING! Wooohooooo !!!!:dancing::dancing::dancing::wub:  :wub: :wub: 

CR-1 Visa Journey ... Service Center: Nebraska. Embassy: Bogotá , Colombia.

(I - 130 USCIS stage) :

Monday, August 21 2017 (Day 1) :  I - 130 sent. 

Monday, August 28 2017 (Day 7) : NOA(Received via e-mail and SMS).  :dance:

Tuesday, September 05 2017 (Day 15) NOA(hard copy I-797 received thru post mail) (PD Aug 24 2017).

Tuesday, March 13 2018 (Day 201) : USCIS issues RFE to our case . (Case opended at least) .:dance: 

Saturday, March 17 2018 (Day 205) : USCIS RFE  arrived via post mail.

Monday, March 19 2018 (Day 207) : USCIS RFE ´s answer was sent via post mail to NSC .

Thursday, March 22 2018 (Day 210) : Online Case Status changed to RFE´s answer was received .

Monday, April 2 2018 (Day 221) : ¡Approved! Online Case Status now shows Case was sent to Department of State.:dance::dancing:

(NVC Stage) :

Wednesday, April 4 2018 (Day 223) : Case Received.

Tuesday, June 5 2018 (Day 285): Case Number assigned, welcome letter received,invoice number received, DS261 filed.

Thursday, June 7 2018 (Day 287): AOS fee paid, waiting IV package fee to be unlocked to pay it.   

Thursday, June 14 2018 (Day 294): DS-261 checked and received letter, IV package fee now unlocked. 

Friday, June 15 2018 (Day 295) : IV fee paid, waiting DS-260 to be unlocked to fill it online. 

Monday, June 18 2018 (Day 298) : Full Package sent to NVC via post mail

Tuesday, June 19 2018 (Day 299): DS-260 unlocked to fill it online.

Wednesday, June 20 2018 (Day 300): DS-260 filled online.

Thursday, June 21 2018 (Day 301): Scan Date.

Monday, July 2 2018 (Day 312):  Case Completed and ready for an Interview.

Friday, July 13 2018 (Day 323): Interview Letter Received.:dancing::dance:

Monday, July 23 2018 (Day 333): Case Left NVC.

(U.S Colombian Embassy Stage) :

Monday, August 6 2018 (Day 347): Blood Test and chest X rays. (Done)

Wednesday, August 8 2018 (Day 349): Medical Exam. (Done)

Wednesday, August 15 2018 (Day 356): Biometrics in the Solicitant Atention Center. (Done)

Wednesday, August 22 2018 (Day 363): Interview... Approved! :dancing::dance:

Wednesday, September 19 2018 (Day 393): P.O.E thru Miami International Airport!!! :dancing::dance:

... "Nobody said it was easy" ... Coldplay: The Scientist Single.

8 hours ago, Life is short said:

It will lead to denial because it's a visa fraud. Fiancee visa means that you HAVE TO (it's not optional) marry in the USA - within 90 days of arrival. If you marry in some other country, after you receive the fiancee visa then that wedding makes the visa invalid. Some people might get lucky and somehow slip through the border while married on this visa, but during the adjustment of status they will probably be denied their green card. Since USCIS isn't that stupid and will know that the couple married outside of the USA.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.