Life is short

Visiting spouse in USA before getting Immigrant Visa

9 posts in this topic

Is it allowed to apply for non-immigrant visa (visitor visa) in order to visit spouse in USA, still didn't get Immigrant Visa (Green Card) 

Any of you did it before?

Will the security on Point of Entry refuse this visit and give a life-ban or ban entry in future?

I don't intend to stay in USA forever when visiting spouse, only for few months then return back to my country.

There is a pinned topic on this here - 

I have dropped my question in there. I short you can but you need to prove there is a stronger need to return to home country then stay in the US.

good luck 

45 minutes ago, RJD said:

There is a pinned topic on this here - 

I have dropped my question in there. I short you can but you need to prove there is a stronger need to return to home country then stay in the US.

good luck 

Thanks for your answer and for recommending the pinned thread :)

We came to visit my family together for three weeks. My husband came on a nonimmigrant visa. We have a return ticket, and no questions were asked.

i-130 sent in December before fee change- around 12.22.16

1.3.17: Processing date for i-130.

9.27.17: Rec'd e-mail that i-130 approved! 

10.5.17: Case sent to dept. of state for processing.

10.11.17: NVC rec'd case.

10.20.17: Rec'd case number and invoice ID number from NVC over the phone.

10.21.17: Filled out choice of address and agent.

10.24.17: AOS bill opened and paid

10.31: IV bill opened and paid (called 10.26 to ask them to process AOS bill and DS-261)

11.1: Bank processed IV Bill

11.3 DS-260 form filled out online

11.8 NVC package sent!

11.13: NVC package arrives at NVC

11.14: Scan date!

11.16: Sent expedite request to NVC

11.22: Expedite approved by consulate

11.28: Rec'd e-mail from NVC that package was sent to consulate. CEAC tracker states: in transit. Case Complete at NVC
12.11 Rec'd e-mail from consulate that package arrived, together with Pkt 3 instructions.
1.10 Interview apt letter rec'd via e-mail! (scheduled medical appointment)
1.25 Interview in the morning. Was told approved on the spot and visa should arrive in the mail within ten days! Yay!
1.26 CEAC tracker says Visa Issued!
1.30 Visa arrived!

17 hours ago, Hamada91 said:

yes no issues unless you stay there

Thanks :) How can I prove to the Borders officers I am not staying there?

18 hours ago, Marley_09 said:

We came to visit my family together for three weeks. My husband came on a nonimmigrant visa. We have a return ticket, and no questions were asked.

Good luck in your visit :) Did they know you are married? did you mention the marriage in your non-immigrant visa application?

We came in as a family. Only he was with a non-American passport.

i-130 sent in December before fee change- around 12.22.16

1.3.17: Processing date for i-130.

9.27.17: Rec'd e-mail that i-130 approved! 

10.5.17: Case sent to dept. of state for processing.

10.11.17: NVC rec'd case.

10.20.17: Rec'd case number and invoice ID number from NVC over the phone.

10.21.17: Filled out choice of address and agent.

10.24.17: AOS bill opened and paid

10.31: IV bill opened and paid (called 10.26 to ask them to process AOS bill and DS-261)

11.1: Bank processed IV Bill

11.3 DS-260 form filled out online

11.8 NVC package sent!

11.13: NVC package arrives at NVC

11.14: Scan date!

11.16: Sent expedite request to NVC

11.22: Expedite approved by consulate

11.28: Rec'd e-mail from NVC that package was sent to consulate. CEAC tracker states: in transit. Case Complete at NVC
12.11 Rec'd e-mail from consulate that package arrived, together with Pkt 3 instructions.
1.10 Interview apt letter rec'd via e-mail! (scheduled medical appointment)
1.25 Interview in the morning. Was told approved on the spot and visa should arrive in the mail within ten days! Yay!
1.26 CEAC tracker says Visa Issued!
1.30 Visa arrived!

My husband and I went to the states last year for Thanksgiving. No problem at all. When I showed them my Military ID at POE they didn't ask anything at all. They even wanted me to go into the citizens line lol

All they did was thanking my husband for his service and apologizing for not having a military dedicated line. 

So no worries! 

On 8/21/2017 at 4:06 PM, Marley_09 said:

On 8/21/2017 at 4:28 PM, Hamada91 said:

yes no issues unless you stay there

On 8/22/2017 at 11:50 PM, Marley_09 said:

We came in as a family. Only he was with a non-American passport.

On 8/23/2017 at 7:49 PM, ValeZamp said:

My husband and I went to the states last year for Thanksgiving. No problem at all. When I showed them my Military ID at POE they didn't ask anything at all. They even wanted me to go into the citizens line lol

All they did was thanking my husband for his service and apologizing for not having a military dedicated line. 

So no worries! 

Thank you all, so no worries :) I hope I can make it and visit my spouse in few weeks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.