Judy1389

Questions: K-1 Application Submission

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

My fiancé and I are just kicking off the K-1 visa process. He's Scottish, I'm the U.S. citizen, and we've been dating over six years. I lived in the UK for the past 10yrs, but relocated back to the USA in July for further education (while he remains in Scotland :(). Our plan is to file for the K-1 visa now, marry in USA once it's approved and have him relocate to Boston with me.

I have a few random questions (and profuse apologies if these are straightforward, but I've combed through the website and couldn't find recent answers, and having spent the last 6hrs finishing off the I-129F, I'm at my wits end!!!).

All that being said, my first random question:

– I'm sure this is a pretty #### retentive question, but I'm not entirely sure which address to use for the header for the Cover Letter / Letter of Intent to Marry. Based on the templates from this website, the suggested header shows:

United States Department of Homeland Security
               U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
               [ADDRESS OF FILING LOCATION]

Now, I've read that all apps go to TX Lockbox for processing, but surely the address of the filing location would be the Service Centre that our petition is ultimately sent to? I'm based in Boston, MA, so if that's the case, would I be noting the address of the Vermont Service Centre (rather than the Dallas Lockbox facility)?

Second random question:

– does it make any difference if I send the petition to the Dallas lockbox vs. the Lewisville address? (tempted to use DHL/FedEx rather than USPS to get it there faster)

Third question:

– Is my fiancé's most recent I-94 something I should print-off and add to the application? (I've already input the details into the actual application, but is that enough?)

Fourth:

– In supplying evidence of our intent to marry, is supplying a Save the Date (wedding is currently slated for May 2018) a good idea or a bad idea? I'd hope that it's far enough in the future that it wouldn't do any harm (and perhaps even expedite processing?), but I don't want to be penalised for picking a date already!

Final (not urgent!) question:

– After we get married, we want to go on a honeymoon straight after … I'm pretty sure I've read that travel outside the U.S. is forbidden, but are domestic flights okay? If so, is it safe to we file for our AOS after these (domestic) flights, or is it best to file ASAP (or does it not even matter)?

Thanks so much in advance for any and all advice. This community has been a godsend for getting this far!

Judy

Edited by Judy1389

1 hour ago, Judy1389 said:

All that being said, my first random question:

– I'm sure this is a pretty #### retentive question, but I'm not entirely sure which address to use for the header for the Cover Letter / Letter of Intent to Marry. Based on the templates from this website, the suggested header shows:

Now, I've read that all apps go to TX Lockbox for processing, but surely the address of the filing location would be the Service Centre that our petition is ultimately sent to? I'm based in Boston, MA, so if that's the case, would I be noting the address of the Vermont Service Centre (rather than the Dallas Lockbox facility)? You don't really have to address them but if so, the lockbox - at least that's what I did. California Service Center processes the I-129F's currently, once in a while a few get transferred or processed at Texas Service Center. 

Second random question:

– does it make any difference if I send the petition to the Dallas lockbox vs. the Lewisville address? (tempted to use DHL/FedEx rather than USPS to get it there faster) You have to send it the the address provided on the USCIS website for I-129F petitions, which is Dallas if you send your petition with USPS. If you send it with couriers like FedEx, DHL or anything, then Lewisville. No differences though.

Third question:

– Is my fiancé's most recent I-94 something I should print-off and add to the application? (I've already input the details into the actual application, but is that enough?) You can if you want to, to show extra proof of him entering the country to visit you together with boarding passes but not necessary to add. He can find his entry information if you google 'I-94 online'

Fourth:

– In supplying evidence of our intent to marry, is supplying a Save the Date (wedding is currently slated for May 2018) a good idea or a bad idea? I'd hope that it's far enough in the future that it wouldn't do any harm (and perhaps even expedite processing?), but I don't want to be penalised for picking a date already! It's never a good plan to plan a date for your wedding as the USCIS and the I-129F - K1 process are very unreliable. Anything can happen, from delays due request for evidences to administrative processing, lost documents, delayed medical exam etc etc. It's better to await the I-129F process first. Then see if you can plan a little.

– After we get married, we want to go on a honeymoon straight after … I'm pretty sure I've read that travel outside the U.S. is forbidden, but are domestic flights okay? If so, is it safe to we file for our AOS after these (domestic) flights, or is it best to file ASAP (or does it not even matter)? Domestic flights should be okay, but it's always safer to be in the process already so he can carry his Notice of Action 1 to show his legal presence in the US, IF border security asks for it. I seen people successfully travel domestically before doing AOS, though. 

Edited by Dutchster
typo

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

1) Just use one of the TX addresses, whichever you end up addressing your petition to. 

2) Lewisville is for shipping services that require signature as mails go directly to the mailroom. 

3) Items 37 and 38 are unrelated. Unless he's currently in the US, his I-94 info does not need to be entered into Item 38. I-94 printout however can still be attached to show his entries into and exits from the US in the past and/or to visit you.

4) Save the date card can be added as evidence of relationship if you so want to however it won't expedite your case processing.

5) Domestic flights are OK generally. Best to file before the I-94 expiry to avoid being out of status.

Edited by KULtoATL

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

5) If you're still within the 90 days of legal status, domestic flights are perfectly fine. After that, there is always a slight chance that you will be asked to show status / authorized stay. The NOA1 from the I-485 is proof of authorized stay.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

The only caution I would advise with domestic flights is this - due to mechanical issues or medical emergencies flights can be diverted. Now, if you are flying from Boston to Miami and you are diverted to Atlanta that's no problem. But if you are flying to Alaska and have to make an emergency landing in Canada and wait for a replacement aircraft this would be a problem. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

6 hours ago, Judy1389 said:

my first random question:

Now, I've read that all apps go to TX Lockbox for processing, but surely the address of the filing location would be the Service Centre that our petition is ultimately sent to? I'm based in Boston, MA, so if that's the case, would I be noting the address of the Vermont Service Centre (rather than the Dallas Lockbox facility)?

Use whatever TX lockbox address you are sending the petition to.

Second random question:

– does it make any difference if I send the petition to the Dallas lockbox vs. the Lewisville address? (tempted to use DHL/FedEx rather than USPS to get it there faster)

Not really. We used USPS before and our packet got to the lockbox within 1 business day. Sent it on a Friday, they got it Monday.

Third question:

– Is my fiancé's most recent I-94 something I should print-off and add to the application? (I've already input the details into the actual application, but is that enough?)

You don't need to print the i-94, however, there is a part in the newly updated I-129F form that asks about the foreigner's last trip to the US (if any) and one of the info that needs to be provided are on his i-94.

Fourth:

– In supplying evidence of our intent to marry, is supplying a Save the Date (wedding is currently slated for May 2018) a good idea or a bad idea? I'd hope that it's far enough in the future that it wouldn't do any harm (and perhaps even expedite processing?), but I don't want to be penalised for picking a date already!

You are fine. We did the same too. In the part where a supplement explanation is required, we mentioned that we are possibly getting married on March or April 2017, before my husband (then fiance) turns 30. They did not ask anything about it at all. Not during the interview and not even at the POE.

– After we get married, we want to go on a honeymoon straight after … I'm pretty sure I've read that travel outside the U.S. is forbidden, but are domestic flights okay? If so, is it safe to we file for our AOS after these (domestic) flights, or is it best to file ASAP (or does it not even matter)?

There isn't a deadline for AOS. You can file it even after 2yrs of being married. Some couples couldn't file right away due to financial concerns. The only disadvantage of not filing for it ASAP is that the alien couldn't work, he couldn't reenter the US if he decides to leave and he will not be issued government-issued IDs such as Driver's License. But as long as you get married within 90 days upon arrival in the US, you are good to go. Domestic flights are okay. :)

Good luck and Godbless you! :)

Edited by TheSkywalkers

K1 Visa Timeline (4 months / September 2016 to January 2017):

Timeline: Sept 23, 2016 (filing) to January 30, 2017 (visa on hand)
Our K1 Visa Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/04/21/k1-visa-process/

AOS Timeline (4 months / April 2017 to August 2017):

Timeline:  April 11, 2017 (filing) to August 28, 2017 (approved)

(September 14, 2017 - Greencard on Hand!  - late due to Hurricane Irma)
Our AOS Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/05/13/adjustment-of-status-greencard-application/

ROC Timeline (7 months / June 2019 to January 2020)

Timeline:  June 11, 2019 (filing) to January 29, 2020  (Card Mailed to Me)

Our ROC Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2019/06/07/removal-of-conditions-process/

N400 Timeline (3 months 3 weeks / August 7, 2020 -December 4, 2020)
August 7, 2020 - Filed Online

August 10, 2020 - NOA1 uploaded by USCIS in my account / Estimated Tiime of Completion updated as well (Feb 2021)

August 15, 2020 - Received NOA(hardcopy)

Sept 14, 2020 - Biometric Reuse

October 20, 2020 - Interview Has Been Scheduled

November 23, 2020 - Interview Date - Approved!

December 4, 2020 - OATH TAKING CEREMONY
Our N400 Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2020/08/08/filing-n400-path-to-citizenship/

5 hours ago, TheSkywalkers said:

There isn't a deadline for AOS. You can file it even after 2yrs of being married. Some couples couldn't file right away due to financial concerns. The only disadvantage of not filing for it ASAP is that the alien couldn't work, he couldn't reenter the US if he decides to leave and he will not be issued government-issued IDs such as Driver's License. But as long as you get married within 90 days upon arrival in the US, you are good to go.

True, there is no deadline to file AOS. However, I wouldn't say those are the "only" disadvantages...being out of status and deportable is pretty significant as well.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

All,

Thank you SO much for the thorough answers – incredibly helpful (and also reassuring to see how some of your apps turned out, reading your signatures!) :)

I-129F is officially completed – I'll be posting it first thing in the morning.

Wish us luck!

Good luck!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.