K1applicant

Filing the 1-129F when beneficiary is pregnant

27 posts in this topic

Hello. I am Canadian and my fiance is American. We are filing the K1 Fiance visa and have a less than straightforward situation. I am 8 months pregnant which complicates the form a bit. In the section "does the beneficiary have children?" the answer is not quite a yes (until her october due date) because I can't provide a date of birth but also not a no? The child is my fiance's so she will be eligible for dual (hoping that exempts up from having to file that separate k2 form for the children of beneficiary's??). Should I just check 'yes' to the question as to whether or not I have children, leave the section blank and use the 'additional information' part at the back to explain that I'm pregnant and give her estimated due date? I have included in our stack of evidence pictures a sonogram of our little girl and pictures of us both with my big belly. Any advice truly appreciated! Trying so hard to avoid a lawyer when we have so much we need to buy for the baby. 

4 minutes ago, CanadianMomtobe said:

Hello. I am Canadian and my fiance is American. We are filing the K1 Fiance visa and have a less than straightforward situation. I am 8 months pregnant which complicates the form a bit. In the section "does the beneficiary have children?" the answer is not quite a yes (until her october due date) because I can't provide a date of birth but also not a no? The child is my fiance's so she will be eligible for dual (hoping that exempts up from having to file that separate k2 form for the children of beneficiary's??). Should I just check 'yes' to the question as to whether or not I have children, leave the section blank and use the 'additional information' part at the back to explain that I'm pregnant and give her estimated due date? I have included in our stack of evidence pictures a sonogram of our little girl and pictures of us both with my big belly. Any advice truly appreciated! Trying so hard to avoid a lawyer when we have so much we need to buy for the baby. 

No, answer truthfully as having no kids. Because once the child us born you can file for CRBA to register your baby as a American citizen and they won't need a visa.

57 minutes ago, Kumar01 said:

Yeah, this time you can take the literal meaning of the question about having children.  You do not currently have a child. The future child is born to an American citizen parent so has rights to us citizenship (in most situations).

Okay, interesting. So in other words answer "no" and then just get her a US passport when she's born? I would also be showing up to the interview either very pregnant if it occurs in the next 8 weeks or with a newborn baby if it takes place after. And I am including sonogram/pregnancy photos in my evidence pile so they will deduce that I am pregnant. Thank you!

1 hour ago, cyberfx1024 said:

No, answer truthfully as having no kids. Because once the child us born you can file for CRBA to register your baby as a American citizen and they won't need a visa.

Okay. So it's not weird to answer no but then obviously (in my evidence pile pictures) be pregnant? I'm just worried about confusing them and them thinking I'm withholding information. With a baby coming soon we don't want any delays of course... I guess also I'm confused about it because at the time of filing (now) I do not technically have a child (confusing though because afters 24 weeks gestation the fetus is considered a person because it is viable) but by the time they interview me and definitely by the time I receive the visa I will have a child. Does this mean when she's born I should alert them to the change? I wonder how it works when you state no children at the time of application and that changes during the application process... Sorry for the paragraph and thanks for your help!

Edited by CanadianMomtobe
more info

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

As others have said, the answer is "no". Once the baby is born file for CRBA and US Passport

We were in the exact same situation. Our son was born early September and my wife's K-1 interview in mid October and she went to the interview with our baby and no questions asked. 

Edited by ch3john

Just now, ch3john said:

As others have said, the answer is "no". Once the baby is born file for CRBA and US Passport

Yeah, it definitely makes sense to answer no. I'm just a little confused about it because this fact will change during the application process. Do I let them know when she is born that I now have a child? Or are they asking about a beneficiary's children because of the K2 form and therefore that does not apply to me? 

4 minutes ago, ch3john said:

We were in the exact same situation. Our son was born early September and my wife's K-1 interview in mid October and she went to the interview with our baby and no questions asked. 

Oh sorry I answered you before I read the rest of your comment! Wow, so great to hear from someone who was in the exact same situation. I will definitely just answer "no" then. Just one more question if you don't mind - did your wife (congrats by the way on the visa and baby) include her pregnancy via pictures in your "evidence"? Thanks a lot :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, CanadianMomtobe said:

Oh sorry I answered you before I read the rest of your comment! Wow, so great to hear from someone who was in the exact same situation. I will definitely just answer "no" then. Just one more question if you don't mind - did your wife (congrats by the way on the visa and baby) include her pregnancy via pictures in your "evidence"? Thanks a lot :)

I think I was adding that last part as you were replying, haha

No, we didn't include any pregnancy pics or anything related to our baby as evidence. 

Good luck to you and hope all goes well 

Why do think they need to see pictures and sonograms? You really are making this into something it is not. You currently have no children so answer no. Medics may deem a pregnancy viable after 24 weeks but for immigration purposes a person only exists if they have been born and are alive at the time the question is asked. Why do you think they will be surprised that a woman of child-bearing age and in a loving relationship and contemplating marriage is pregnant? People get pregnant every day. You're imaging all sorts of scenarios that just won't happen. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

6 minutes ago, JFH said:

Why do think they need to see pictures and sonograms? You really are making this into something it is not. You currently have no children so answer no. Medics may deem a pregnancy viable after 24 weeks but for immigration purposes a person only exists if they have been born and are alive at the time the question is asked. Why do you think they will be surprised that a woman of child-bearing age and in a loving relationship and contemplating marriage is pregnant? People get pregnant every day. You're imaging all sorts of scenarios that just won't happen. 

Whoa what are you talking about "imagining scenarios"? I'm not imagining anything I have described my exact situation in detail and I'm just asking questions as to how to best go about it. Where did I say I thought they would be "surprised by my getting pregnant"? And for all I know they might go by what the medical community says and consider this is a child.. I just don't know that's why I'm on a forum asking these questions because that's what these forums are for.. to ask questions. No idea what your rant is about but if you're not here to offer some useful advice then keep it moving. 

And to answer your question about why I would think to include pictures of sonogram.. uh, why wouldn't I? We have the burden of proof in regards to showing it's a real relationship and that we've met in the last two years. A pregnancy will answer both those questions quite sufficiently, no?

Edited by CanadianMomtobe
spelling

1 minute ago, CanadianMomtobe said:

Whoa what are you talking about "imaging scenarios"? I'm not imagining anything I have described my exact situation in detail and I'm just asking questions as to how to best go about it. Where did I say I thought they would be "surprised by my getting pregnant"? And for all I know they might go by what the medical community says and consider this is a child.. I just don't know that's why I'm on a forum asking these questions because that's what these forums are for.. to ask questions. No idea what your rant is about but if you're not here to offer some useful advice then keep it moving. 

I'm trying to calm you down. You are wondering about "being accused of withholding information" (see your post above), which is serious stuff. That's not going to happen. The officer may or may not comment on the pregnancy but usually such personal lifestyle choices are left out of the process. For the same reason I wasn't asked why we don't have children. Likely the officer doesn't even care. Even after you were advised that the answer to that question is no, you asked again. So I was just telling you that there will be absolutely no problem if you show up for the interview with a bump, with a baby, with no baby or with no bump. 

A matter of more serious concern would be the medical. You may want to delay it until after the baby is born as you are required to have an x ray. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

1 minute ago, JFH said:

I'm trying to calm you down. You are wondering about "being accused of withholding information" (see your post above), which is serious stuff. That's not going to happen. The officer may or may not comment on the pregnancy but usually such personal lifestyle choices are left out of the process. For the same reason I wasn't asked why we don't have children. Likely the officer doesn't even care. Even after you were advised that the answer to that question is no, you asked again. So I was just telling you that there will be absolutely no problem if you show up for the interview with a bump, with a baby, with no baby or with no bump. 

A matter of more serious concern would be the medical. You may want to delay it until after the baby is born as you are required to have an x ray. 

As I say, the mere fact that I am pregnant is obviously helpful when required to prove that you are in a real relationship and have met in recent years. I will definitely have to have the X ray after she is born but luckily that is only 6 - 8 weeks away so by the time I need to be examined she should be here. I wasn't really concerned about being accused of anything - I was more concerned about them being confused and sending our package back/causing a delay. I wasn't really taking it as seriously as perhaps that part sounded. I'm glad they don't care. We don't want them to care. Much easier for me to answer no and just get her a passport, believe me. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just don't worry about the baby and the "evidence" of having a relationship.   Having the baby is not the only evidence.  They will rather to see all photos that you both spent together as a couple without the baby.  Some people get pregnant just because they wanted an anchor baby.  If you are emphasizing on the baby, it may raise a flag - why focus on the baby, not your partner.  Leave the baby out of the equation, and focus on your application and have it process without your baby.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

As everyone has already said the answer is No.

Don't worry about the change of situation before the interview. You have to fill in the DS-160 during the Embassy stage, so give them the current information on that form when the time comes. Live changes, they understand that.

K1 Visa process 

Spoiler

30 March 2017 (Thu): i-129f sent

6 April 2017 (Thu): i-129f received- NOA1 RECEIVED DATE

12 April 2017 (Wed): NOA1 email/text confirmation

17 April 2017 (Mon): NOA1 hardcopy

10 August 2017 (Thu): NOA2 Approval date - 14 August 2017 (Mon): NOA2 hardcopy

24 August 2017 (Thu): NVC received and case # assigned (provided through phone call 8/25)

29 August 2017 (Tue): NVC left

30 August 2017 (Wed): Consulate Received (READY at the ceac tracker)

01 September 2017 (Fri): Packet 3 (instructions) received / Packet 3 sent (documents mailed)

02 September 2017 (Sat): NVC letter in the mail

08 September 2017 (Fri): Packet 4 received

11 September 2017 (Mon): Medical exam

21 September 2017 (Thu): Interview- APPROVED

26 September 2017 (Tue): Visa Issued

28 September 2017 (Thu): Visa Delivered (VOH)

20 October 2017 (Fri): POE Dallas Fort Worth

AOS/EAD/AP process 

Spoiler

08 January 2018 (Mon): AOS/EAD/AP package sent

09 January 2018 (Tue): Received date

10 January 2018 (Wed): Notice date

11 January 2018 (Thu): AOS/EAD/AP NOA texts and emails

16 January 2018 (Tue): NOAs hard copies received in the mail

26 January 2018 (Fri): Biometrics appointment in the mail

09 February 2018 (Fri): Biometrics appointment

05 April 2018 (Thu)Green Card Interview scheduled (email and text received 08 April, Sunday)

12 April 2018 (Thu): Green Card Interview appointment letter received in the mail

15 May 2018 (Tue): Green Card Interview: APPROVAL / Card is being produced

19 May 2018 (Sat): 1-797 Approval Notice received

23 May 2018 (Wed): Card was mailed

24 May 2018 (Thu): Post office picked up the mail. Tracking number.

25 May 2018 (Fri): Green Card RECEIVED

ROC process 

18 February 2020 (Tue): ROC package sent

19 February 2020 (Wed) Received date (also in Notice)

24 February 2020 (Mon) Notice date / ROC text and email

28 February 2020 (Fri) NOA/ Extension Letter in the mail

13 May 2020 (Wed) Case updated (Fingerprints were taken) - Notification received 18 May (Mon), stating I don't have to appear for a biometrics appointment

11 hours ago, topazfae said:

Just don't worry about the baby and the "evidence" of having a relationship.   Having the baby is not the only evidence.  They will rather to see all photos that you both spent together as a couple without the baby.  Some people get pregnant just because they wanted an anchor baby.  If you are emphasizing on the baby, it may raise a flag - why focus on the baby, not your partner.  Leave the baby out of the equation, and focus on your application and have it process without your baby.

Wow, they'd have to have a pretty cynical view to think of a pregnancy as possibly being an "anchor baby".. that thought never occurred to me. You'd have to really desperately want to move to the United States to go through having a baby just to move there lol. Thanks for the insight I would have never thought of it that way. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.