oliver-chris

Visitors visa for a teenage niece ( no hidden agenda)

18 posts in this topic

Hello,

I plan to have my niece visit me. We don't have plans of making her illegal , she needs to go back to the Philippines to go to school and live her life.

I  just want her to visit me for a month or so next year. She is 15  but her parents have does not have any financial stability to show the embassy. But I can afford all the travel expenses. I am the one sending her to school, giving her allowance for "baon", school projects etc.Do you think she will have a chance to visit me?  I just want her to see the other side of the world and definitely send her back home. Do you think the embassy can give her a visa or not because of her parents' financial status. She is the only one coming if ever.

Edited by oliver-chris

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

That you are the one sending her to school in her country, paying for her expenses, etc probably won't help her case to get the tourist visa. Since her parents can not even afford having her daughter there. The Consular officer might think you want to bring her to US to give her a better life. The only way to find out is applying for her visa. All what you can lose is the visa fee. Good luck! Hope she can visit you. Its a great age to get to see the world.

Edited by Sunnyland

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I concur with the posts above.  School commitments, etc. to convince the officer that she will return will be extremely important.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 minute ago, missileman said:

I concur with the posts above.  School commitments, etc. to convince the officer that she will return will be extremely important.

She is so active in school, one of the best student, member of school council since 7th grade. If this goes through I want to give her a vacation trip to the US :) 

11 minutes ago, Sunnyland said:

That you are the one sending her to school in her country, paying for her expenses, etc probably won't help her case to get the tourist visa. Since her parents can not even afford having her daughter there. The Consular officer might think you want to bring her to US to give her a better life. The only way to find out is applying for her visa. All what you can lose is the visa fee. Good luck! Hope she can visit you. Its a great age to get to see the world.

thank you. I will keep that in mind . 

Timeline
Just now, oliver-chris said:

She is so active in school, one of the best student, member of school council since 7th grade. If this goes through I want to give her a vacation trip to the US :) 

I would certainly try.........

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

21 minutes ago, az2014 said:

Sounds unlikely but only the fee to lose.

Let us know the result.

yup I can see that :( it's because most people have hidden agenda and stay illegally so it becomes hard for people who just really want to travel and see the other side

Timeline
Just now, oliver-chris said:

yup I can see that :( it's because most people have hidden agenda and stay illegally so it becomes hard for people who just really want to travel and see the other side

Good Luck......I hope you succeed...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do let us know how she gets on.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Show her Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong. Places that do not require visitor visas and maybe with a good travel record she has a higher chance of getting a visa 

in the future. 

04/21/2016 : Married

11/17/2016 : I-130 sent ( NSO marriage certificate took forever) 

11/23/2016 : I-130 case accepted notified by email NOA1

01/27/2017 : USCIS APPROVED NOA2

02/04/2017 : NOA2 hardcopy received in mail

02/28/2017 : Case received by NVC

03/02/2017 : Agent assigned 

03/07/2017 : Case number assigned with invoice

03/28/2017 : Fees paid (IV and AOS)
04/05/2017 : DS260 online form completed
04/09/2017 : IV and AOS package sent to NVC
04/12/2017 : Requested for NVC expedite
04/17/2017:  NVC expedite approved 

04/18/2017:  In Transit 

04/20/2017: Received in Manila (may schedule for interview)
05/11/2017: SLEC -CLEARED 
05/25/2017: Interview @ Manila Embassy - APPROVED

05/30/2017: VISA on hand plus packet

06/08/2017: POE: California  

06/14/2017: Social Security card received through DS260 filing

06/24/2017: Green card received 

CRBA 

04/10/2017: CRBA sent to Embassy via FedEx 

04/19/2017: Appointment scheduled 

05/04/2017: Interviewed and approved 

05/17/2017: CRBA certificate on hand

05/26/2017: U.S Passport on hand

06/02/2017: Paid for ECC and Extension fees

06/08/2017: POE

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Really common for families to send their kids to live with aunts/uncles/grandparents in the U.S. and attend high school. Makes it difficult to give a visa to a teenager with parents that would not qualify for tourist visas. 

Filed: Country:
Timeline

the point that you mentioned you have no hidden agenda makes me suspicious.

I can see the immigration officer thinking. she gets visa to come visit her aunt all of a sudden falls in love with the us wants to stay. since aunt is paying for school over there it is no different to pay for living expenses here and get free public schooling  she them attends high school and falls in love with an American who get married shortly after they turn 18 ad then she gets legal status who then 3 years later applies for citizenship and petitions for her parents to come over.

1 hour ago, f f said:

the point that you mentioned you have no hidden agenda makes me suspicious.

I can see the immigration officer thinking. she gets visa to come visit her aunt all of a sudden falls in love with the us wants to stay. since aunt is paying for school over there it is no different to pay for living expenses here and get free public schooling  she them attends high school and falls in love with an American who get married shortly after they turn 18 ad then she gets legal status who then 3 years later applies for citizenship and petitions for her parents to come over.

This sounds more like a telenovela

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.