headkiss

Dilemma! N-400 pending but GC expired and need proof of residency!

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi Guys,

My 10 yr GC expired in April 2017. In June, I applied for my citizenship, filling out the N-400. I have done my Biometrics and waiting on interview.

I got offered my DREAM job and my start date is on the 28th of this month. However, I do not have proof of ability to work since my GC is expired and I do not have a SS card. 

I need to get the I-551 stamp on my passport to enable me work and travel while my applications are pending. I already have an infopass appointment for the 21st.

However, If I show up there with my notice of action for N-400, will I get the stamp? Or do I have to file for I-90 and take that notice of action to get the stamp? I do not want to file I-90 as that will just be a waste of $500 since I should be getting my citizenship in a few short months.

So thats my dilemma. SHould I go to my infopass appointment with my expired GC, notice of action for N-400 and biometrics, and hope to get the stamp? Or should I spend $500 to apply for 1-90 before I go to the infopass appointment? Help will be greatly appreciated!

DL and SSN (unrestricted) are enough for I-9. 

~ Also moving this to N400 forum. ~ 

Edited by milimelo

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You've been in the U.S. for 10 years without a SSN? I hope you weren't working. Seems your severe procrastination is now causing issues with employment. Under Trump, employers are very skittish. Immigration matters should be dealt with intentional expediency. But I guess you already know that. When my K-1 wife entered the U.S., she obtained a SSN with her VN passport and K-1. She then obtained GC and went to work. You don't have a SSN or a valid passport. That could be a problem for employers. Hope your paperwork goes through in time. Good luck.

2 minutes ago, WandY said:

You've been in the U.S. for 10 years without a SSN? I hope you weren't working. Seems your severe procrastination is now causing issues with employment. Under Trump, employers are very skittish. Immigration matters should be dealt with intentional expediency. But I guess you already know that. When my K-1 wife entered the U.S., she obtained a SSN with her VN passport and K-1. She then obtained GC and went to work. You don't have a SSN or a valid passport. That could be a problem for employers. Hope your paperwork goes through in time. Good luck.

No You misunderstand me. I have a Social Security Number. I just dont have the physical card. I lost it a while back and never replaced it because I has a GC and it never was required for anything.

I have been a GC holder for 10 yrs. Combo of DL and SS card will suffice for I-9. But I went to the office to get the card and I need a Valid GC card to get the actual physical SS card.

Edited by headkiss

Timeline
2 minutes ago, cd37 said:

There is no such thing like unrestricted SSN !! SSN does not have expiry date 

You are correct...sort of. The first week my K-1 wife was in the U.S., she obtained a SSN. The SS card was stamped "Not Authorized For Work Purposes" or something similar. That's because she didn't have a GC yet. However, you're correct by stating that the SSN's stay the same, regardless of the citizenship stage. The poster is in a dilemma because living in the U.S. with an expired passport AND expired GC is the no-man's land of citizenship and work authorization.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, headkiss said:

No You misunderstand me. I have a Social Security Number. I just dont have the physical card. I lost it a while back and never replaced it because I has a GC and it never was required for anything.

I have been a GC holder for 10 yrs. Combo of DL and SS card will suffice for I-9. But I went to the office to get the card and I need a Valid GC card to get the actual physical SS card.

OK, I stand corrected. In the U.S., when someone says they don't have a SS card, most of us think they are without a SS number. Why do you need the physical card? Any Social Security Administration office can give you a print-out. Also, with e-Verify, your employer can access your file. However, you have an expired GC, so that may be a problem. Explain your situation to your employer. He/she will see that you are in the process of citizenship and maybe there is some kind of grace period or waiver available. Take your spouse, birth certificate, other immigration papers, etc. and go to the Social Security office. You can get this cleared up. Good luck with the dream job! And quit procrastinating. :)

9 minutes ago, WandY said:

You are correct...sort of. The first week my K-1 wife was in the U.S., she obtained a SSN. The SS card was stamped "Not Authorized For Work Purposes" or something similar. That's because she didn't have a GC yet. However, you're correct by stating that the SSN's stay the same, regardless of the citizenship stage. The poster is in a dilemma because living in the U.S. with an expired passport AND expired GC is the no-man's land of citizenship and work authorization.

I just have an expired GC. My passport is valid. 

I am going to get the I-551 stamp for my employer. I just need to know if I can do so by taking my passport and N-400 documentation to my infopass appointment. Or If I HAVE to file I-90 and spend $500 before I can get the I-551 stamp. Seems like a waste of money since I am a permanent resident and in process for citizenship.

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
17 minutes ago, charmander said:

True no expiration dates on SSN card, but cards produced for non-immigrants have restrictions on them showing the person needs DHS authorization to work in the US.

Agree but as far as I know you still have to furnish work authorization doc (i.e. green card) to your employer. SSN does not count as work authorization doc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
12 minutes ago, headkiss said:

A DL and social security card with no written restrictions can suffice.

So this article http://www.klinkeimmigration.com/en/blog/us-immigration-news/how-naturalization-and-renewing-your-green-card-dont-often-work-together.php

says there is a new USCIS policy that requires I-90 no matter what. Couldn't find a link to the policy she mentions though. This post is from April of last year, if this is something new, don't rely on postings earlier than that. I hope someone who is currently (or recently) in a similar situation like yours could share what he/she did.

Edited by charmander

3 minutes ago, charmander said:

So this article http://www.klinkeimmigration.com/en/blog/us-immigration-news/how-naturalization-and-renewing-your-green-card-dont-often-work-together.php

says there is a new USCIS policy that requires I-90 no matter what. Couldn't find a link to the policy she mentions though. This post is from April of last year, if this is something new, don't rely on postings earlier than that. I hope someone who is currently (or recently) in a similar situation like yours could share what he/she did.

Wow thank you!! It seems that I have to donate $500+ for a GC renewal that will be ultimately denied because I will likely be a citizen by then. Makes no sense. But thank you so much for the article. You rock!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.