Jeric Barredo

Can you send n400(naturalization process) while i-751 is still pending?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Can you go ahead and send your n400 while your I-751 is still pending? Would it affect your current case? what to send for your permanent green card? also, if I were to change my wife's last name, do I have to do the form for that as well? Really need some help guys, thanks so much. Our I-751 has been sent since November of last year 2016 and it's still not here, I checked online and California center still processing June 15th of 2016. really frustrating. :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife is planning on it, and I believe there are several examples of this being done so the short answer is yes.  I understand that as the N400 moves, the I751 is combined with it at the local office and both are processed together.

As to the name change question, I am not versed on that as my wife changed her name at the AOS stage.

Good Luck!

Edited by Bill & Katya

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Yes, you can send in your N-400 while your I-751 is pending.  In fact, doing so will force USCIS to find your I-751 and process it at the same time as they process your N-400.  Here is a link to a thread about filing the N-400 online.  It's the only form USCIS allows to be filed online, and according to those who have filed online, it speeds up the process considerably.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/637606-filing-n400-online-anyone/

23 minutes ago, Jeric Barredo said:

Can you go ahead and send your n400 while your I-751 is still pending? Would it affect your current case? what to send for your permanent green card? also, if I were to change my wife's last name, do I have to do the form for that as well? Really need some help guys, thanks so much. Our I-751 has been sent since November of last year 2016 and it's still not here, I checked online and California center still processing June 15th of 2016. really frustrating. :(

Yes, you can file your N400 while I751 is pending. That's what I am going to do next year. The cases will then be combined.

Do you want to request a name change as part of the naturalization process? I would recommend you file a name change with your local court because requesting it as part of the naturalization process will significantly delay the app. The reason being is that USCIS cannot grant your naturalization in an administrative ceremony, and you have to wait to be scheduled for a judicial ceremony.

If your wife is changing her last name to reflect your marriage, it's quite simple. Go to the Social security office with the marriage license, they'll change it on her SSN. Then get a new license in the new name. Then submit all that to USCIS when you file your N400, and include a cover sheet saying you would like to use your married name.

- Removal of Conditions Timeline -

07/31/17 - Mailed I-751 package to California Service Center

08/01/17 - Package delivered to CSC

08/05/17 - NOA1 received by US mail

08/10/18 - Rec'd new NOA1 with 18 month extension instead of 12 months

10/15/18 - Case transferred to Nebraska

12/26/18 - ROC Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.