loshyian

B2 visa for Filipina wife

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am a USA citizen married to filipina for 15 months. We are living in Philippines permanently (for now). We are in the process of gathering all supporting docs for interview for B2 visa for a 3 week trip to USA to see friends and family and plan to interview in Manila in the next month or so. My wife has only left the philippines once on a 4 day trip to Hong Kong with me last year. She has a good job here in the Philippines (about $1800/mo after taxes) and her daughter is here in the Philippines as well. I am currently a permanent resident of the Philippines. Just trying to get a feel on her chances of getting a B2 visa, as I am a little worried because of her minimum foreign travel. 

Do you guys have a lease or property? That and the job might work well. The child does not matter because people have left children behind.

Also, the information about you being a permanent resident and making sure they understand this is a holiday is important. I have read that consuls sometimes tell people they need to get a spousal visa just to visit (dumb, obviously), but it has happened to some on VJ. I am referring to cases in which the US citizen was living in the same country as the foreigner and there were no plans to relocate. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It van be difficult for a spouse of a US citizen to get a tourist visa; be sure to also show YOUR ties to the Phils, because if you go back, she will.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Let us know how you get on.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Quick question on filling out the D160 application. The question "Do you have any immediate relatives, not including parents, in the United States?"  should my wife answer yes or no? I (husband) am a USA citizen with permanent residency in Philippines. I have not been in the USA for 19 months but am still a citizen.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Good news, wife received verbal approval for tourist visa at the embassy this morning and should have her stamped passport sent within a week. I was a little surprised due to all of the horror stories I have heard on internet about denials and possibly needing a spousal visa. Based on my wife's recollection of the interview, it was her stable higher paying (for the Philippines) job that put her over the top, as the interviewer sort of raised her eyebrows in surprise when she gave her salary. My wife was not asked to show any supporting paperwork, although the interviewer did ask questions about her job, my stepdaughter, and any intentions to move to USA permanently. I know we were very lucky to get the visa and thanks to everyone who posted on this forum for their assistance.

Interview questions my wife remembers, don't quote me on the exact wording, hahaha...

1.  Q: Are you married?

2.  Q: How long have you been married?

3.  Q: Is your husband a US Citizen? - I think my wife volunteered at this point information that I was a permanent resident of the Philippines

4.  Q: Do you have any intentions of staying in the US permanently?

5.  Q: Do you have any children?

6.  Q: Is your child the biological child of you and your husband?

7   Q: Will your child be traveling with you?

8.  Q: What is your job?/How long have you worked for your employer?

9.  Q: What is your salary?

10. Q: Have you traveled outside of the country before?

Again we were lucky, so please don't take this story as any hope, as everyone's situation is different, and there may have been a different outcome for us if we had a different interviewer or our interviewer was in a bad mood today. 

Edited by loshyian
update

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yay!  Thanks for the update!

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.