guggs19

What is best way to go about getting married and filling

55 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I am a canadian citizen and my gf and I have been dating for over a year now. I work in Canada but on a border town and she works/lives about 30 minutes from where I work. Does anyone have advice on the best way to go about marry my gf? Is it best to just cross over and get married on a random day and then file? Also we were informed I could do a two step process, get married, come back and continue to visit her until visa is approved. I know this may run me the risk of not being able to re enter once a visa is pending. Secondly, would it best to get married, file and just stay in the US until all the documents are received?

Any one have any info or advice?

Also what forms are best to fill out i was going to fill out the spousal application plus the advance parole to try and allow me to keep my job

Just look up the guides on the website and see what will fit you best.

1. US citizen file K1 fiance visa. You have to get married in the US after you get your visa. Can't leave the country until you receive either travel permit or green card. Takes about 6 - 8 months to get K1 visa. After wedding, about 3 - 4 months to receive travel permit and work permit after you send out AoS paperwork. It's about a year to get a green card.

2. You marry in Canada. US citizen file CR1 spouse visa. Takes about a year. You can visit each other during the process. You can travel and work right away after arriving in the US.

3. You marry in US. You go back to Canada. US citizen files CR1 spouse visa. Takes about a year.

There has been countless topics like that. Especially regarding US/Canada.

edit: You cannot move to the US with the intention to get married AND apply for the green card through the adjustment of status. That's visa fraud.

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

I mean... you could try to get married in the US and adjust status from there but this is considered immigrant intent. If the cbp officer suspects this you could have your visa cancelled or worse yet..get married, file for AOS and be accused of misrepresenting yourself in order to obtain immigrant benefits. Ofc it is possible to do all this, but it would be risky. The best/safest way to do it would probably be to get married in Canada and apply for a CR1 visa

Or...apply for a fiance visa. This takes about 6-7 months whereas a spouse visa takes about 1 year from start to finish.

N400 filed - online: 10/30/2020

NOA: 11/02/2020

Bio reuse: 12/30/2020

USCIS changed to "Interview Scheduled": 06/07/2021

Interview Date: 07/14/2021 Approved!

USCIS changed to "Oath Ceremony will be scheduled": 07/15/2021

USCIS changed to "Oath Ceremony notice mailed": 07/20/2021

Oath Ceremony: 08/06/2021 🇺🇸

Timeline

with option number 3 i would not be able to enter the us until that is approved right? Seems like option 2 is best.. what about getting married and just staying in the US.. until everything is approved

1 minute ago, SabRob said:

I mean... you could try to get married in the US and adjust status from there but this is considered immigrant intent. If the cbp officer suspects this you could have your visa cancelled or worse yet..get married, file for AOS and be accused of misrepresenting yourself in order to obtain immigrant benefits. Ofc it is possible to do all this, but it would be risky.

It's a immigration fraud. Don't suggest people to do that.

OP, there is no FAST or EASY process.

You have it better than 99% people waiting for their visas because you live close to each other. Don't abuse that.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

1 minute ago, guggs19 said:

with option number 3 i would not be able to enter the us until that is approved right? Seems like option 2 is best.. what about getting married and just staying in the US.. until everything is approved

I assume you're only allowed to stay 90 days in the US, max. So no, it won't happen. The process will take about a year. You can visit, but don't abuse your visitation privilege.

Besides you have to attend medical and interview in Canada.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you file for the K1, she can come visit you with no problems.  My wife lived outside Toronto while we went through the K1 process and I was able to visit her almost every other weekend.

54 minutes ago, guggs19 said:

Hi,

I am a canadian citizen and my gf and I have been dating for over a year now. I work in Canada but on a border town and she works/lives about 30 minutes from where I work. Does anyone have advice on the best way to go about marry my gf? Is it best to just cross over and get married on a random day and then file? Also we were informed I could do a two step process, get married, come back and continue to visit her until visa is approved. I know this may run me the risk of not being able to re enter once a visa is pending. Secondly, would it best to get married, file and just stay in the US until all the documents are received?

Any one have any info or advice?

Also what forms are best to fill out i was going to fill out the spousal application plus the advance parole to try and allow me to keep my job

If you cross over the border as a tourist (B-2) and marry your girlfriend in the US, but your intention before entering the US was to get married - that would be fraudulent. However, if you entered the US without the intention of getting married and it just happens you'd file an Adjustment of Status (Form I-130). USCIS will look at how quickly you and your girlfriend got married - if you got married within the 30 days (30/60 rules) of the Port of Entry date than USCIS will think your intention wasn't to enter as a tourist. Its extremely risky to go down this path for citizenship. I wouldn't recommend it as the implications are severe if fraud is detected….

Are you planning on keeping your job in Canada? If you get married in Canada and wait for the green card you won't have issues crossing the border as long as you're within the 6 months of the B-2 and show strong ties to Canada. This will be easy to do if you are employed in Canada. 

I've filed for the K1 visa (Form I-129F), which will get me into the US quicker (also more expensive) than the CR1 visa. It all depends how quickly you want to with your girlfriend in the US. With K1 visa you must marry within 90 days after visa approved in the US. All depends on your timeline and preferences.

Goodluck!!

Edited by kat.cap13

Timeline
1 minute ago, Roel said:

It's a immigration fraud. Don't suggest people to do that.

OP, there is no FAST or EASY process.

You have it better than 99% people waiting for their visas because you live close to each other. Don't abuse that.

I wasn't suggesting that OP should do it, lol. I said it's possible because it is possible to adjust status from a tourist visa and people do it all the time and it's risky even if you didn't have immigrant intent at the border.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, guggs19 said:

As a canadian citizen I can stay up to 6 months in the us without coming back to canada

You can visit during the process. My husband and I visited and I was there for 5 months during the process. 

Your best bet is probably a spouse visa since you get a green card and can get a job/us driver's license etc right away.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, kat.cap13 said:

If you cross over the border as a tourist (B-2) and marry your girlfriend in the US, but your intention before entering the US was to get married - that would be fraudulent. However, if you entered the US without the intention of getting married and it just happens you'd file an Adjustment of Status (Form I-130). USCIS will look at how quickly you and your girlfriend got married - if you got married within the 30 days (30/60 rules) of the Port of Entry date than USCIS will think your intention wasn't to enter as a tourist. Its extremely risky to go down this path for citizenship. I wouldn't recommend it as the implications are severe if fraud is detected….

Are you planning on keeping your job in Canada? If you get married in Canada and wait for the green card you won't have issues crossing the border as long as you're within the 6 months of the B-2 and show strong ties to Canada. This will be easy to do if you are employed in Canada. 

I would like to keep my job as long as possible, however, i do not mind to lose it. I am working in the niagara area and she is lives in buffalo so it does not seem that far. so best thing is to get married in canada she goes home and files, what do i tell border guards after she has filed. i am visiting my wife or gf?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.