dwheels76

NVC Filers - August 2017

716 posts in this topic

Hi guys, hoping this is the right thread for those going on to NVC. Does NVC notify by email or mail when they receive the case? I have heard NVC is more of an online and email process but I want to know what to expect.

And by the way... I am from the Dominican Republic and for the I130 I used a long form birth certificate which is dated November 2, 2016. Can I use this certificate for the NVC stage as well? Or should I request another one since this one is almost a year old?

4 hours ago, Leah09 said:

And by the way... I am from the Dominican Republic and for the I130 I used a long form birth certificate which is dated November 2, 2016. Can I use this certificate for the NVC stage as well? Or should I request another one since this one is almost a year old?

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/DR.html

Use this link. It should tell you each type of document that you're going to need and which format, how old it can be, etc. NVC is more online yes, and you should receive a welcome e-mail from NVC once they receive your case from USCIS. This will have your NVC case number and invoice number which you will need in order to log in and pay your fees, fill out your DS-260, etc. The website for all of this is going to be ceac.state.gov . 

You can also call the NVC for your case/invoice number, but from experience I've seen that you can enter, but can't actually pay your fees until you receive that email. Their number is (603) 334-0700 and I would recommend calling early in the morning. They're on the east coast and open at 8:00. If you call right when they open between 8:00-8:30 you won't have much of a wait. If you wait until the afternoon you'll have a hard time getting through and if you do you'll be on hold for a good 30 minutes. 

USCIS
09/23/2016: NOA1, I-130 received at USCIS Nebraska Service Center
02/16/2017: Case transferred to Texas Service Center

05/6/2017: NOA2, did not receive electronic notification

05/12/2017: Received NOA2 via snail mail 

05/18/2017: Notification received on App that case was sent to NVC
NVC
05/23/2017: Case received at NVC

06/01/2017: Received case and invoice number via phone

06/06/2017: Received e-mail with case and invoice number, fees paid

06/20/2017: DS-260 submitted and AOS/IV package sent 

06/22/2017: Scan Date

08/23/2017: Case in Review Department

08/25/2017: Case Complete 

10/19/2017: Interview (Approved!!)

10/24/2017: POE - Houston, Texas  

47 minutes ago, cleon86 said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/DR.html

Use this link. It should tell you each type of document that you're going to need and which format, how old it can be, etc. NVC is more online yes, and you should receive a welcome e-mail from NVC once they receive your case from USCIS. This will have your NVC case number and invoice number which you will need in order to log in and pay your fees, fill out your DS-260, etc. The website for all of this is going to be ceac.state.gov . 

You can also call the NVC for your case/invoice number, but from experience I've seen that you can enter, but can't actually pay your fees until you receive that email. Their number is (603) 334-0700 and I would recommend calling early in the morning. They're on the east coast and open at 8:00. If you call right when they open between 8:00-8:30 you won't have much of a wait. If you wait until the afternoon you'll have a hard time getting through and if you do you'll be on hold for a good 30 minutes. 

Thank you. This is very useful information.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
4 minutes ago, larnar1309 said:

To find out my scan date do I need to call or can I just go by the date my package says it's delivered ?? 

Best to call they don't always scan them in the day they are received. Mine were scanned about two days later

Just now, Adreamer said:

Best to call they don't always scan them in the day they are received. Mine were scanned about two days later

Thanks for the advice! Do you mind me asking what you asked in the call? Or do I just give my case number and they will be able to tell me if it's been scanned ? 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, larnar1309 said:

Thanks for the advice! Do you mind me asking what you asked in the call? Or do I just give my case number and they will be able to tell me if it's been scanned ? 

They will ask for the case number. Your name and who you are (if you are not the beneficiary) ,the date of birth/ name of the beneficiary. Then you just need to say you are calling to confirm they have recieved your mail. If they say no just try calling back a day or so later and they will probably have the info updated. Only Monday -friday though.

Edited by Adreamer

Filed: IR-5 Country: Dominican Republic
Timeline
39 minutes ago, Leah09 said:

Is scanning a case in NVC equivalent to USCIS acceptance?

Nop. 

TIMELINE

29 December 2015 - married in Dominican Republic

USCIS Phase

21 November 2016 - I-130 sent to USCIS Chicago Lockbox 

22 November 2016 I-130 received at Nebraska Service Center

25 November - NOA1 received in the mail

???? - NOA 2 via e-mail, app and USCIS website

????- NOA 2 received in the mail 

????- Case Was Sent to Department of State 

NVC Phase

????- Case received by NVC

???? - NVC case number assigned

???? -  DS-261 Completed Online
???? - Welcome e-mail received, AOS fee paid
????- IV fee Invoiced, IV fee paid
????- DS-260 Completed
???? - AOS and IV package sent

--------------------------------------------------------
??? - Scan date

??? - Case Complete

Filed: IR-5 Country: Dominican Republic
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Leah09 said:

Then what is it?

NVC AND USCIS ARE 2 DIFFERENT THINGS. You have to prove to USCIS you have a bonafide marriage, nvc works with the paper work for your immigrant visa along with the us embassy. 

TIMELINE

29 December 2015 - married in Dominican Republic

USCIS Phase

21 November 2016 - I-130 sent to USCIS Chicago Lockbox 

22 November 2016 I-130 received at Nebraska Service Center

25 November - NOA1 received in the mail

???? - NOA 2 via e-mail, app and USCIS website

????- NOA 2 received in the mail 

????- Case Was Sent to Department of State 

NVC Phase

????- Case received by NVC

???? - NVC case number assigned

???? -  DS-261 Completed Online
???? - Welcome e-mail received, AOS fee paid
????- IV fee Invoiced, IV fee paid
????- DS-260 Completed
???? - AOS and IV package sent

--------------------------------------------------------
??? - Scan date

??? - Case Complete

Just now, Lacosta said:

NVC AND USCIS ARE 2 DIFFERENT THINGS. You have to prove to USCIS you have a bonafide marriage, nvc works with the paper work for your immigrant visa along with the us embassy. 

I asked if they were equivalent not if they were the same. I know they are two different things. For USCIS the case acceptance is NOA1 where they confirm they receive it. I asked if scanning it is the same as confirming receipt. No need to be rude.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Leah09 said:

I asked if they were equivalent not if they were the same. I know they are two different things. For USCIS the case acceptance is NOA1 where they confirm they receive it. I asked if scanning it is the same as confirming receipt. No need to be rude.

basically the same. Since nvc is not notifying when they receive it. We call it the "scan date" . But yes it's for the receive date..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 8/3/2017 at 8:00 AM, Segun1988 said:

I got a checklist of a document I already submitted , a police report from Malaysia , (certificate of good conduct from the ministry of foreign affairs ) I don't understand and I followed the online step to obtain that and the checklist says is not the right document and the representative confirmed to me is the right document . 

Sorry about the checklist ☹️

Same thing happened to me and I KNOW we sent all pages to the NVC

Did you put your case number on each page you sent in?

our checklist said we did not send the correct documents but then the rep confirmed we had the correct one. The issue ended up being that they lost pages of our report, not that it was the wrong version. I guess they only have so many checklist options that they can email us, so it's confusing to say it's the incorrect one vs there are pages missing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.