Adaa

Spouse visa application while pregnant

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, JFH said:

You baby should be your first concern. Whilst every woman hopes for a safe and uncomplicated birth, for many it doesn't go to plan. Have you any idea what a month in NICU costs in the USA? 

Most overseas travel insurance policies don't cover pregnancy as it is an "existing condition". 

I actually do know...my older daughter spent an month there (arrived early).  Your point about costs and coverage...spot on.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Thank you all for your replies !

I just want to highlight that I did not open this topic to discuss about my insurance or financial status. I think many of you don't know how European laws work nowadays, so let me be the one being concerned whether is legal to benefit the maternity leave while being a resident of another country- which btw it is, with the condition of not getting another job in the meanwhile. There are a lot of health insurance, and I do not mean the travel ones here, that cover all kind of services outside the country where they were signed, with some restrictions of course, but still better than nothing.

Once again thank you all for your replies, it pretty much helped us to make a decision. Hope it will turn out well and in time . 

Edited by Adaa

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
54 minutes ago, JRF said:

True that!  I have four kids, and of them the regular birth was the cheapest at $6K (before insurance).  C sections three times that cost.  If the  baby arrives early, time in the NICU, not cheap.

My c section and hospital stay would've been 30k if we didn't self pay.  That doesn't include doctors fees 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, Transborderwife said:

You cannot use his insurance unless you're a permanent resident.

I think it depends on the insurance company.  I was covered under my US husband's insurance from the day we married.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
1 hour ago, Transborderwife said:

My c section and hospital stay would've been 30k if we didn't self pay.  That doesn't include doctors fees 

:o

curious---how long did you stay in the hospital??

I didn't have a c-section so I'm unaware of the average length of stay for that.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Going through said:

:o

curious---how long did you stay in the hospital??

I didn't have a c-section so I'm unaware of the average length of stay for that.

4 days went home on the 5th

9 minutes ago, Going through said:

I think it depends on the insurance company.  I was covered under my US husband's insurance from the day we married.

Were you a k1?

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

4 days went home on the 5th

Were you a k1?

No, I married inside the US and did my AOS from here.

30K for four days....jeez....

Edited by Going through

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi. My best friend had a tourist visa and got married here in the Philippines. He didn't plan to stay, it was more of a honeymoon thing for them to see places and meet his spouse's relatives there with no intention of staying long. He had hoped she would give up her job and come back here since his family owns a successful business here and are well off. The wife is a Filipina nurse with GC there. He was deported. It was a bad experience as there was no flight that time back in the PI and he had to be temporarily locked up overnight in a jail since they cannot hold him at the airport. I know cases are different and someone's experience doesn't necessarily mean it'll happen to you too, BUT it won't hurt to be cautious, especially the Immigration is always careful of possible fraud even if that is not your intention. They did the spousal visa in the end since the wife is not ready to give up her job there.  :) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 hour ago, Going through said:

So was both me and my son :) 

OP: please don't refer to European countries because not all are like you are talking about so if you believe your country will do that then stick to that. Very few if any EU countries will do what you are thinking. 

13 hours ago, SabRob said:

EXACTLY. My husband had to get 3(!) stitches in the ER one time and it cost a whopping $1000.

Lucky you, I spent one a half hour at a emergency room, beside medicine I only got a urine test and a ultrasound...they sent us a bill of almost $10,000.00 when I called and talked to someone the bill went down to  $2,500.00, but still crazy right? I can't even imagine how much a birth could cost 😳...

02/14/2012 - Meet in person for the first time after talking online for over a year! :wub:

04/11/2012 - His first Visit to Brazil!!! (He was there twice).

09/12/2012 - Trip together to Cancun.

09/18/2012 - My First arrival/visit to United States (I visited about 4 to 6 times until my last arrival)

09/27/2016 - Last Arrival on B1/B2 Visa

02/01/2017 - MARRIED!!!

05/28/2017 - Package Sent

05/30/2017 - Package delivered 

06/09/2017 - Package returned (outdated I-130)

06/12/2017 - New package sent

06/14/2017 - New Package delivered

06/20/2017 - Check cashed

06/21/2017 - e-mails and texts received

06/24/2017 - Notice of action (Acceptance letter) received in the mail.

06/30/2017 - Biometrics appointment received in mail.

07/03/2017 - Biometrics done! (it was a successful walk in, my appointment was 07/10)

09/02/2017 - Service Request for EAD.

09/25/2017 - Call to tier 2 after no update on SR.

09/25/2017 - New Card Is Being Produced!!! (YAY)

09/30/2017 - EAD in hands!!!

04/08/2018 - Online Status Changed! - Interview Scheduled!!!

04/11/2018 - Inteview letter on the mail!

05/11/2018 - Interview at West Palm Beach field Office - Approved on spot!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am intrigued to know which Euro System allows its customers to give birth in the US at what can only be a significantly increased cost.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I am intrigued to know which Euro System allows its customers to give birth in the US at what can only be a significantly increased cost.

Depends on what visa you come to the US, and on other things like whether you are working or not. And as I mentioned earlier you can choose to add World coverage to an insurance to get 100% covered. 

I'm sure every country and insurance has it's own requirements but it is possible.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Dutchie2016 said:

Depends on what visa you come to the US, and on other things like whether you are working or not. And as I mentioned earlier you can choose to add World coverage to an insurance to get 100% covered. 

I'm sure every country and insurance has it's own requirements but it is possible.

Obviously I know the UK system and a friend had their first child in Holland and he explained how it worked, so neither of those Countries does this, just interested to know which system does, I have yet to come across an example, seems unlikely there is not one out there

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Obviously I know the UK system and a friend had their first child in Holland and he explained how it worked, so neither of those Countries does this, just interested to know which system does, I have yet to come across an example, seems unlikely there is not one out there

The Netherlands does it for sure, again depends on type of Visa.

I don't know what your friends situation was, whether he was a Dutch citizen or not, but to say the Netherlands doesn't do it is not correct.

Edited by Dutchie2016
added last sentence

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Timeline

So a Dutch citizen living in Holland can opt to give birth in the US and the Dutch system will pick up all the costs?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.